SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 11:01:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornelius Compact  (Read 31081 times)
wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 05:06:52 am »

The first lighted sign you posted is from a vendo 56 decorator. It will not work on your machine unless you get creative with the mounting brackets. As it is the lid will hit the sign. The original sign sets back away from the machine. I will look for some pictures if I have them of what the correct sign looks like.

You're right.  I do remember the sigh sitting back and being kind of angled up. 
I just saw a sign and thought 'oohhhh, that might work.'

Still a nice sign though if anyone needs one.

Wamp

Cornelius Compact 72 (My 1st in the works)
wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »

I took the lid and hinges off my slider today and got it up on sawhorses so I can start working on it.  

The base has some rust on it and the underside of the base looks like it is in about the same shape as Dan's was.
The body has some minor dents and dings in it, but nothing too bad.  Nothing that a little Bondo can't fix.

The gasket that is under the cooling unit that sits inside the chest looks like it is shot and needs to be replaced.  Any idea where I can get one of those?

Also, Dan, when you painted the trim on top of the chest, did you take that off and how?  And did you replace the gasket on the lid and with what?

Thanks

I'll try and get some pics before too long and document my progress.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 04:28:36 pm by wampdawg » Logged

Wamp

wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 04:38:25 pm »

After looking at things some more today, I am a bit discouraged with what I saw.  down I won't let it get me down though.

I had the unit upside down and went to remove the black vent on back (the evaporator coil I think, I don't know all the parts yet  upside )

I saw a bad rust spot on the bottom and got looking even more and it looks like the bottom of the unit needs replaced.

And there is a crack or seam in the trim on the lid that is starting to separate.

The good news is that the underside of the lid is not in that bad of shape.

Wamp

halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 08:11:29 pm »

I didn't take the plastic trim off, just taped it off and painted it with plastic primer first and then paint. I is in good shape. The gasket that was in the groove of the lid was pretty worthless at this point, so it has been pulled out. I am thinking of replacing it with some thicker, wider weatherstripping.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »

If you can don't take the plastic trim off. It is only secured by the expansion foam insulation and is very hard to get back on and secure it. Here is a picture of one I did with the correct light.
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2009, 10:04:36 pm »

Josh,  your machine turned out great, much better than original.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 12:10:57 am »

Thank you. I know I have posted this before but this is my favorite cornelius that I did. It was a great Kegerator! Sorry for the small pics. Its all I have.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:53 am »

Cool Kegerater.

I also like the look of the red Coke Cornelius. I have never seen one restored in red and the results, well, it simply looks great.

Hat's off to the both of you and your excellent restorations.
wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 11:43:38 am »

How hard is it to take the cooling unit out?  Does it come out all in 1 piece?  And what should I use to replace the gasket/seal under the cooling unit?  Would a piece of rubber work or is there a certain seal that needs to be used?

Wamp

wampdawg
5 Cent Member

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 02:44:09 pm »

Does anyone know, will the compressor fit through the hole in the bottom of the chest?  Or will I have to pull it our from the bottom?

Wamp

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: