SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 11:49:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another RC 81  (Read 11573 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 11:56:01 pm »

I know the seller, Chris Keen. I bought 30 Pepsi machines 1980's era from him about 10 years ago. He is a very nice guy, but .......he was also high bidder on a generic VMC 81 bare door that I had listed on E-bay back then. Hmmmmmm

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 07:45:02 am »

Beautiful looking machine and what appears to be a top-notch restoration.  $7K is out of my league whether it is live or Memorex.  It would seem to me that someone selling a rare machine like this would post pictures of the un-restored machine and the machine during the restoration process in addition to the finished product.  With the well-known and rare as a unicorn Orange Crush machines floating around out there, you would think that the seller would specifically highlight the bare door both front and back to answer the legitimacy question.

drinking Tim drinking
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

I emailed him questions via ebay but have not gotten a response
ss540
10 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 07:55:57 am »

The auction ended with the one bid.

Down in Texas
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:09 am »

I sent the seller questions and ask him if he had pictures of the backside of the door to prove it's authenticity and if it had the trademark on the door. This was his response:

"What you see is what is described. If you do not feel comfortable then dont bid. It is repreented as a vendolator Model 81 as indicated on the ID tag and embossed with royal crown. Nothing more or nothing less.

Hmmmmm.....

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 11:06:27 am »

I talked to him yesterday and asked If the machine was original. He said he had it for 20 years, the tag says its an vendorlator 81 and it is embossed. I asked for pictures of the trademark area, he said it was there but was almost covered/filled in by the many coats of paint and clear. I stated that if i bought it and it was not an original as represented I would void the transaction via credit card.  He then sent me the same email that you posted. Seemed a little like marshall mathers aka slim shady
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 01:44:42 pm »

I also sent a question and here is what I got:

My question:

Dear commercevending,

That is a beautiful looking restoration. Can you send or post some pictures of the machine before and during the restoration? I would be very interested to see the main door both front and back with the liner and insulation removed.

Thanks! And good luck with the sale!

- mznb1u

Here is the answer:

Dear mznb1u,

All I have is some old poloroids that I am haveing a hard time scanning and posting. I have own this machine 20 years. Sorry but I did not take any pictures during restoration and would not have any with the liner and insulation removed. If you would like to inspect it personally please let me know
Thanks Chris

- commercevending

Based on that I don't know how comfortable that I would be plunking down $7K.

I guess the doctrine of caveat emptor applies here!

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 01:46:08 pm »

The sale closed with one bidder at $7K--hope it was legit.

drinking Tim drinking
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »

I am glad you guys post threads like this. It sure makes me think about the purchases I am about to make. I would never think to be so critical of a machine and without your input I could easily become of those guys buying, and eventually selling, one of the many counterfeit machines. Thanks for putting this info out there for the rest of us to consider. I believe you are giving us the knowledge needed to be better collectors. Thanks

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 10:59:34 pm »

A nice looking restoration, but why put all that money and effort into it without documentation. If he has had it for 20 something years, then he probably has next to nothing into it. And let's go high and say he put $2500 into restoration - $7k doubles his money at least. If Moondawg recalls selling a generic 81 door to him, then he is no soda greenhorn and knows exactly what a RC81 is worth. So why start the auction at NR $7k and act lackadaisical "It is what it is?" if you KNOW it is legit and worth $14k restored. Pull the liner off, take a pic of the backside and quadruple your money!
My vote is he knows and is happy doubling his money!

P.S. Love that pic Jeff!! I've got it saved now and will use it in the future!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:01:24 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: