SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 07:12:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought me a cavalier cs-72!!!  (Read 4906 times)
« on: June 24, 2003, 10:29:25 pm »

After looking for over a year, I finally found a local Cavalier 72 for a reasonable price, just picked it up today, I am very excited!!!

I'll post pictures soon, the inside is in very good shape and I probably won't mess with it.  I'd like to strip and re-paint the outside of the machine.   Is there a guide to doing this anywhere?  I know there is a list somewhere of proper paint color codes for the red/white (its an original two-tone) I could use that too.  Any suggestions, tips, guides, would be great.   Thanks!

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 03:49:26 pm »

Looks like a nice original!
I'm not at home at the moment so I can't research any codes...
Might I suggest measuring the "white top" so it can replicated. I've seen restoration guides on sale but don't know what kind of documentation is printed... Are your intentions to paint the outside only? Will you be outsourcing the paint/body work?
It appears the machine is complete; is everything complete and does everything function?
May I make another suggestion... restore the whole machine since these models aren't very complicated. If you have to disassemble it anyway for a good paint/body work, you might as well go a little further and do everything... You won't regret it and the rewards are gratifying!

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 04:28:28 pm »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  The machine is completely functional with the exception of the coin mechanism and the "have a coke" light.  The coin mechanism rejects any coins you put in, and the "have a coke" light stays on constantly.  I already have a new coin mech on order.  After I get that installed I'll take a look at the have a coke light.   Otherwise the machine is complete and functioning.  

The inside is in very good shape, the rubber door seal for the refrigerator door is in excellent shape, I was amazed.  The only knock on the outside is there is a very slight ding on the top, back left, measuring about an inch long.  

I am torn about trying to do a 100% restoration, or just fix what needs to be fixed (coin mech, light, etc.) and then restore the outside only.    I am pretty confident I can do the stripping, and painting of the outside on my own.  I have a friend who is an artist who can do the embossed hand lettering for me if necessary.  Probably would hire someone outside to try to fix the dent beforehand.    I should be able to figure out the coin mech, light issues on my own as well.  As far as restoring things having to do with the refrigeration, etc.  I would be somewhat hesitant.  Also don't know if I want to rip the machine apart, and start replacing installation, etc.    I had a vendo 63 for a little under a year, so I do have a little bit of experience working on machines (replaced a fan motor, etc.) but I am by no means an expert.

Part of the reason I bought it was a "restoration project" so I am hoping to do most/all of the work myself if possible.  It's something I plan on keeping for a long time and not to sell.   

While I am gung ho to get started on this right away, I want to make sure I do everything correctly, and in the proper order, so I am trying to suck in all the information from the experts that I can.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks again for your time!!

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 08:50:57 pm »

I still stand by my suggestion to restore the machine completely.
Eventhough the inside looks pretty good; once you restore the exterior, the interior will then look as though it was neglected... Just food for thought.
My suggestions for the project in no particular order as follows:

Since this appears to be original paint, I would have someone VERY knowledgeable in sandblasting sheet metal tackle the cabinet, cabinet door & coin door. Complete body work/primer/paint using automotive paint(PPG or other).
Lightly sandblast liner, door liner, shelves and any other parts that require caduim plating and send them off...
Send all parts out for rechroming...
Lightly sandblast refrigeration unit and repaint w/ glossy black(there was discussion on this previously).
There are a couple of approaches for the liner and/or all parts in the cooling area: Hammer Tone Paint for the liner or Powder Coat the liner as well as the shelves, shelf brackets and Vending Rack components.
You seem to have someone lined up for the embossed lettering. I hope he can do a flawless job with NO brush visible strokes! This area of a restoration is crucial because no matter how good the paint job looks; it's only as good as the lettering! An alternative is something I personnally haven't seen yet, vinyl decals on top of the embossed lettering. I like things to be as close to original as possible so hand lettering is the way to go provided a quality job can be obtained!

Suggestions to keeping things in order since this may be your first disassembly:
Take a few pictures of all major components prior to disassembly.
Utilize zip lock bags for all screws and small parts. Label the bag according to what component it is, coin door, cabinet door or liner parts etc... This way you can match old screws for stainless steel replacements. Old film containers work for this too...
If you feel compelled to reuse certain parts, be sure to clean them to the best of your ability without deforming or removing any protective coating the part may have... In the case of a door gasket, I would replace it and keep the original.
I'm sure there are a few things I accidentally forgot to mention...

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 09:19:46 pm »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply and the advice.  Looks like I might have a lot more work on my hands than I originally thought.  =)

I appreciate all the advice!!!  I imagine I may have more questions as I proceed.  =)  

Thanks again!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: