SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 02:27:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to crate and ship a v-81  (Read 3432 times)
« on: February 21, 2003, 06:28:27 pm »

Hello.  I'm in the process of buying a machine that's located in NY.  I need to have it crated and shipped to California.  Does anyone have any ideas how to get it crated and shipped?  I've tried Craters&freighters and they want $233 just to crate it.  Forwardair will ship it for $125 so I figure that must be a good deal.  If I were to use Craters&Freighters to crate and ship they want $546.  Any ideas?  I''ve heard that some people use moving companies like United Van Lines etc but haven't had a chance to call any of them.

thanks, Doug
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 11:14:33 am »

Doug, you didn't mention the condition (restored vs unrestored). If you intend to restore it anyway, the crate is not as important.
Most shippers require 2 things. They want it on a pallet so they can move it with the forklift.  Second they want it wrapped at least with cardboard, probably to verify if any damage was pre-existant, or done in transit. The wooden crate is for your own protection. Insurance is available but difficult to collect.
Since you are still negotiating the purchase, this is the time to ask the seller if he will pallet and wrap, it's not really difficult.
Also, Forward Air is lower cost because the seller must deliver to his terminal, and you must pick up from your terminal.
Door to door costs more because of increased handling.
                                                                                               Seller's co-operation is crucial.        Glen

Glen
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 10:31:48 pm »

Thanks for responding MoonDawg.  The machine is all original and still has good paint. Forwardair requires that it be in at least 1/4 inch plywood and on a pallet.  Unfortunately the owner doesn't have the ability to crate it.  He's a helpful person, I just don't think he had the tools.  I've called several places and most shippers don't have a way to crate.  Shoot, I had a V-39 shipped from Canada and the guy was able to get it crated for $75.  That crate was extremely durable too.  Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and have Craters&Freighters pack it up.

Doug
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 10:31:02 pm »

I bought a machine from Dallas, TX and had it shipped to Memphis, TN.  The guy had craters and frieghters ship it for him. It was only $200.00, but it was a lot less distance.

Anyway back to the subject,  The crate was the absolute best made crate I have seen!  It was tough but functional and just the right size. I would recomend them again if cost was not an issue.  

But there has got to be some company up there that can arrange shipping and crating for you from there.  Have you tried any moving companies? Like Allied or United.

My .02  
Marvin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: