SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 04:57:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Identify This Cooler  (Read 7980 times)
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 06:51:19 pm »

Congrats!!  I hope you got a great deal on it!  Can't wait to see more pictures!

happydrinkers

...if it went in...it must come out!!!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »

Those are very cool ... I had to help haul one... Hit a snow storm... the lid, which wasn't fasten
down...few out... hit the highway and broke (needless to say) I was SICK.. the glass on these are usually etched.. and well it wasn't good for me. It wasn't restored and I think it
sold around $1000-$1200... anyway... I saved what was left of the glass... and I believed they made a new glass and sand blasted the Canada Dry logo back.... Bad memory down

It was originally white.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:53:59 pm »

Congrats ! ! ! We'll need additional photos!
    happydrinkers   happydrinkers

My six cents,

Jim

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:44 pm »

The Heintz is home and we made it without incident.  I paid the seller what he was asking.  Did not want to risk haggling and losing a good deal and I did get a good deal.  I am planning on keeping this one for my bar and the guy was very happy to see that it was going to someone who was going to keep it and not re-sell it.  It kind of reminds me of a cooler that we had at my dad's drugstore in Detroit when I was a kid though that one was not embossed.

Had a tough time getting it into my wife's Town and Country Minivan but it went in standing up.   Oo Couldn't get it out that way though.  Had to rotate it so that the back was facing the back door and then we laid it down and lifted it out.  happydrinkers  I was worried that I was going to have to take the headliner out of the van!

I located the manufacturer's plate on the back.  It was painted over when the guy had Maaco Body Shop repaint it but the tag is embossed and the numbers are engraved so it is still legible.  There is also a tag that gives instructions for dry operation and wet operation because this unit can also be used with ice and there is a drain behind the cap catcher.  The manufacturers tag indicates a model number of C2 and a serial number of 5000 and says:

"Made by Heintz Mfg. Co. for Canada Dry Ginger Ale, Inc. Powered by Kelvinator"

It has all of the original workings including the power cord which is a little crackly (need to replace that) but the seller cut the wire for the cabinet light and put it on a separate power supply so the light could be turned off.  All of the stuff is there so it can be changed back to original.  Light works and the compressor runs and cools well.  All of the racks are in the inside and the tub looks solid.  Cap catcher is original and had about 20 cork back Canada Dry Ginger Ale caps still in it--now how old are those?  The bottle opener is a Coca-Cola "Starr X" so I'm not sure if that is original or not.  The opener has  "52 Made in USA" on the back.  Would that indicate the year it was made?  There was also an empty Canada Dry Quinac bottle (see picture) and an old wooden Vernors case inside.

The seller had it repainted in a hammertone green.  The original color is a similar shade of green but is not metallic.  (If anyone knows the paint code for Canada Dry green I may repaint it at some point in the future.)  He said that the embossed lettering was not a different color before he had it repainted.  Have to do some research on that!

He got it from a neighbor about 20 years ago (the original owner) who had it in his store until the store closed and then moved it to his home and used it for a bar.  The seller got it when his neighbor was moving and was going to throw it away!  He was selling it because the "war department" wanted it out of the dining room!

As another added bonus, the guy threw in a framed advertisement from the 40's that actually has a picture of the machine in it.  H picked it up at an antique flea market.  It is from an old magazine.

On to the pictures.  This baby is going to be the centerpiece of my back-bar for my basement man-cave.  Construction will begin soon but in the meantime I know one thing--I am going to keep it out of the dining room! laugh

The attached pictures are not the greatest as I was running out of daylight.  I will get some better ones after I get it into the house and would be honored to have one of my machines on the site Soda Machine reference area!

Tim
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:34:56 am by mznb1u » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 09:53:15 pm »

Here are a few more pictures!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 09:54:33 pm »

And a few of the framed Advertisement!   drinking

Tim
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:07:30 pm »

congrats that's a real unique machine it would look great in a home bar.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 10:09:12 pm »

How about scanning that advertisement and sending me a image of the machine from
a side/front/top angle
and that going on the 2009 calendar... Very nice!
Send me an email....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:43:23 pm »

Outstanding buy, Tim!  It's a really nice looking machine!  I'm glad you got it, and at such a good deal to boot.  I hope to see it in the calendar this next year!

Good to hear your wife is understanding with this.  Mine is to a good degree.  I can see why Pepsi is not an option!   tounge   Working on the machines with the kids is great fun, isn't it?!?  My girls love to help out as well.

Keep up the good work!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37:20 am »

It looks killer now, can't wait to see it resotred to it's former glory!

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: