SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 12:59:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wwii drink machines  (Read 2154 times)
« on: June 29, 2005, 01:38:58 pm »

This may be common knowledge here (although I did not find anything in the archives). If so, apologies.

I have always been fascinated by wartime production (WWII) of military items by seemingly non military companies. For example, Singer, the sewing machine company, produced a myriad of things including rifle parts, bomb sights, propellers, etc.

Here is some info I was able to dig up on Vendo and their arch-rival, Vendorlator:

"The 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor curtailed Vendo’s production, like that of most other peacetime industries. Despite severe wartime restrictions, soft drinks were classified as "essential for soldier morale" by the U.S. War Department, and Vendo was authorized to produce 5,000 "Red Tops" for military training camps and war plants. Vendo further supported the nation’s war effort by producing radar detection systems and associated electronic equipment. The company earned an impressive seven Army-Navy "E" awards for excellence in fulfilling Army and Navy production contracts."
http://www.vendoco.com/history....6a11df4

Another interesting tidbit:
"Looking for any info on a B-17 believed to have the serial number 44-136175. This aircraft went down in what are now Croatian territorial waters. All crewmembers supposedly escaped, but not sure. Data plate reads:

VENDORLATER MFG. - FRESNO
AIRCRAFT DIVISION
PART NO. ?4-136175
JIG NO. 6 SHIP NO. ?984
-INSPECTION-
CO. DOUGLAS S95 ARMY "
http://www.armyairforces.com/forum/m_6630/tm.htm

Does anybody have more info on the activities of these companies in the 40s?

thanks...

-matt
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 02:50:17 pm »

Thanx for the info on Vendo. I'll be in Fresno this weekend, will definately see how close to the plant I can get.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: