SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 02:03:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smc shipping needs  (Read 5959 times)
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« on: May 21, 2005, 11:01:43 am »

I'm trying to determine how much business SMC members could collectively drive for a shipper.  Not sure how the polling feature works on the web site so bear with me...

I think you should be able to select a number & add a comment.  In your comment please provide info on whether or not your selection is based on historical experience (ie how many times you've used shippers previously) or subjective (ie how many times you think you'd use shippers if it was easy to do so).

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
glassbottlesrule
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 11:37:51 am »

I try my hardest to not ship anything sticking to products within a day trip from me.  The one time I bought something and had it shipped turned into a nightmare.  The common carrier "misplaced" my machine for 3 weeks.  It finally arrived safe, but caused some nail-biting during the wait.
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 01:02:48 pm »

I have never shipped a machine and I don't see myself shipping one in the near future.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 01:52:10 pm »

Hey

what's wrong with you people. I had a Juke shipped from Nashville to the UK a few years ago. It got lost somewhere in the middle of nowhere for a few days but that's part of the fun.

At least you don't have to worry about customs. The theiving Government can almost double the price of anything by adding on their "take."  

I guess I don't have much choice. If and when I manage to convince my wife that you can't be a collector if you only have one of something I'll have to use a shipper.

Dave
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 02:53:28 pm »

For a worthwhile (profitable) machine I'd consider shipping from maybe NY or somewhere close to the border.

Shipping from the states to a small town in Canada would likely set me back twice what the machine itself was worth ! (I could never afford to spend more than $250 on a machine)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 11:24:29 pm »

I have either shipped out or had a machine shipped to me 8 times this year alone and I plan on shipping more.
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 03:53:31 pm »

Hey Jim - any chance you can you reset my status on this poll?  I pushed null vote by mistake and it won't let me vote.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
petey64
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 05:03:00 pm »

Yes i would ship, but i would still be thinking about it.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 10:16:53 am »

I've been lucky enough to buy three of my machines within driving distance.  I have shipped one in from Wisonsin and  my jukeboxes were shipped in from Ohio and Missouri.  It sure gets expesive.  I've been thinking lately about narrowing my search area to drivable locations only.  The last jukebox set me back almost $600 in crating and shipping fees (Ouch).  Having that high a shipping bill is exactly why I'm reconsidering shipping.  It's not so bad if you can find a seller who will crate the machine up and take it to a freight depot.
On a similar note, I had a juke shipped to me in a creatively designed crate once.  The guy strapped it to a pallet with motorcycle straps and then made a surround for the machine of rigid foam insulation board taped up with packing tape.  It worked beautifully and protected the machine from a few hard hits that were evedent from the dents in the foam.  Best of all, no expensive plywood required.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 05:21:25 pm »

I've had one machine shipped this year already and will be receiving two more here in the next couple of weeks. I've had a pretty positive experience so far.

Like others have mentioned, having a seller that is willing to do a little of the work is the best.

Brian
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: