SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 03:33:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Web browsers grrr...  (Read 3824 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« on: March 21, 2005, 01:32:00 am »

Hi All,
Having a very bad experience getting rid of a browser hijack infection in IE 6.0. Can't seem to kill it despite two IT folks doing their voodo. Have switched to Mozilla while it is usable seems lacking in some respects. Anybody have a better idea?
Thanks!
Creighton
firemun
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 08:09:57 am »

I had a similar problem. I had tried every piece of software on the net made to clean those things. I was to the point of reformatting the computer. In preparation for reformatting, I got the newest version of Norton Antivirus by Symantec.  I decided to load it and give it a try before reformatting....and it actually isolated the Hi jackers and took them out of the registry.

My older version was up to date with the virus defintions etc...but it didn't help, but for some reason the new one cleaned up the evil monsters.  Computer works like new!!  

Maybe worth a shot

jeff
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 12:00:13 pm »

I had similar problems until a computer dork I work with had me download Yahoo's spyware. Just go to Yahoo.com and download thier toolbar. Its on the tool bar. It works great!!! I haven't had any problems since then and best of all its FREE. Terry

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 03:36:23 pm »

Thanks guys!!
I'll give both a try and get back.
Creighton
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 03:05:10 am »

I have heard that FireFox is a really great browser, and I plan on taking it on, but haven't yet.
glassbottlesrule
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 03:08:27 pm »

Been using Firefox for awhile(bout 6 months).  The verdict's still out, it is slower than IE.  But it does keep the nasties away for the most part.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 03:37:55 pm »

Slower and more bells and whistles than I need but seems stable. I'm trying the Thunderbird email client on one account. Like it better than Express.
Creighton
petey64
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 11:46:05 pm »

if you are still having spyware trouble go to microsoft.com and download and install they're beta spyware program, it works. Microsoft has a nasty habit of putting things out late but when they do other companies usually go out of business.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloa....lang=en
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: