SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 07:35:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is this hobby going?  (Read 13141 times)
Zach
25 Cent Member

« on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:54 pm »

Ok guys don't take this too seriously as I love machines just as much as you guys do but I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think. So my question is, what is the future of our hobby? 50 years from now will people still be collecting the same machines? Due to the older age of most of the people that are interested in this hobby and the very few young bucks (like myself, im not talking smack im just saying), in the future will our hobby die out and will our prized machines become worthless junk to everyone other than a very small minority? Will people be collecting the machines we see out in action right now? No right or wrong answer to this, but lets here what you guys think. Ready, set, go!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:27:47 am »

Been discussed, but times have changed I guess...

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,13367.0.html

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:18:02 am »

I think it will drop... like cars of an era... the hot cars right now are the 60s and 70s muscle cars.... almost every show I go
to now is Novas and Vettes... what happened to all the 30s and 40s cars?... unless they are tricked out... you see very
few 30s and 40s cars a rare model T or A... I don't think the older ones bring the money they did also... But that's what
I notice... also wonder if the hammering of the shows of Restorations and Pickers will effect it negativley eventually....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:16:45 am »

Eric, I see your point, although I don't think comparing cars with these machines is fair.
Cars are always changing with the times, but they always remain that...... cars.  4 wheels, windows, steering wheel, bumpers etc...
So there are always "collectors" of cars, of every era.  With people getting older, they gravitate to what they remember as a kid, or what looks good to them.
The prices of the 30 and 40 and 50's cars might have dropped over the years, as the muscle cars have taken their place, and or the $$ that people have to spend on a "toy"

In saying all that, there really is not anything that will replace the RT machines (other than a couple of squares from the early 70's)  The machines of today are just BIG boxes that have no style, shape, or appeal to be a collector item.  The  machines of the 80's and 90's are so massed produced, large, plastic fronts etc. I just can't see them to be a collectors item  either.

So, if these machines do drop in value over time, it's only because people in the future have no interest in them.  Their "collector" dollars might go towards something else.  Where as the car money of the 40 and 50's are going to the cars of the late 60's and 70's.

As long as there is Coca Cola, and the branding, marketing, etc that goes with it, I think there will always be a "want" for these machines, but in terms of value, well, it's what the market will pay.
Juke boxes (from what I've read) have not held their values over the years, but again, it's because tech. has changed, where getting a record is tough alone on it's own, never mind the fact that kids of today and tomorrow listen to music in digital forms.
If Pop were to stop all production of glass bottles, whcih might very well happen one day, then that could hurt this hobby.  But the machines themselves are a pop culture item on their own, so the babies of today who grow up to be stock brokers, will want to look cool in their condos in the year 2050, and will want our RT machines lol.
It's tough to put a 1959 Cadilac in the garages of today that are made for a KIA, not to mention puttin a 59 Caddy in the man cave.

I have to do some work now, so I better stop.... and yes this topic has been brought up before, but I like how new people, even myself, still think about this topic, and it keeps the hobby going.

happydrinkers
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:19:40 am by bonovox » Logged

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:43:01 am »

I see a similar pattern to cars. 30s and 40's soda machines also never were real desirable,(with the exception of Quickold  biggrin and a few others) and the 60s and 70's are the only machines that a lot of younger guys remember.
      On the other hand, like the cars from the 50's, those soda machines always were the most stylish, upright, round corners and with most having that crank handle function ...... I believe will always be a popular home item.

As Bonoxox stated, one concern I also have, is the availability of bottles. Sure, beer will always be available in glass but soda pop may be another story. How much longer will demand for nostalgia justify production costs?  
     What if Coke discontinues their 8 oz size? Those single vend machines will be useless.
     Or what if Big Brother decides we don't even need glass bottles?
     For example, here in California we used to be asked "paper or plastic?" at the market. Have you noticed that paper bags have almost disappeared in the effort to save the trees?  Well now they are eliminating plastic bags to save the ocean.  darn
     On the flip side, those old returnable bottles would increase incredibly in value if more restrictions become placed on new ones.

Glen
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:46:11 am »

The  direction the hobby is going,  is that the pure collector is having a more difficult time buying stuff for reasonable amounts.  People that do this for profit continue to benefit from shows like AR and AP.

Too bad for the average collector who doesn't focus all of his time making a buck from this hobby.

I don't have a problem with people making money but there are a ton of people that are "amateurs"  out there that have dramatically increased the value of unrestored stuff due to uneducated and stupid sellers.  I am not blaming them but the consequences are easily apparent.

I can tell you one thing.  I have been collecting for 15 years and the hobby is less fun for me since the 2 television shows have come out.

Just my .02

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:49 am »

I was just using cars as an example of times changing... i didn't even think about bottles and availability.
Another example is telephones I was able to pick up old rotary phones clean them up, wire them
and resell for some pretty good money... some aren't bringing half of what they brought 5 years ago.
Plus people dropping land lines.. can't even use them anymore...

I think machines will always be collectable... just not as we see it now... the odd 81s, like the 57 Chevy
will always be a classic.. but the 23s, 83s or Selectvends will go up and down... Heck when I first started
with a Westinghouse cooler I thought it was the greatest cooler/machine ever... now.. ehhh... I've been
around a while... there are others.. I'm not even crazy about the 81s like I use to....

Eric

WANTED:
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:30:46 am »

And yes!!!!!! Agree with bc there.. since these shows... not near the fun it use to be for me..

Eric

WANTED:
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:31:30 am »

I don't have a problem with people making money but there are a ton of people that are "amateurs"  out there that have dramatically increased the value of unrestored stuff due to uneducated and stupid sellers.  I am not blaming them but the consequences are easily apparent.

The uneducated seller is the one who is not starting at those higher prices we all hate. if it lasts 1-2 days on CL and everyone is killing themselves to get there you left most of the value on the table.

We all want that $1500 misidentified machine with that $1000 sign attached to it for $300, buy reality is that guy was uneducated and could have gotten a LOT more for it. We are all looking for the deals, and few of us are going into antique shops to buy this stuff and paying fair market value. If the price was truly dreaming on the high end, it doesn't sell, but it may go to someone who negotiates an acceptable price to them.

There is always ups and down to all markets, I don't see people collecting stamps, bottle caps or glass insulators like they used to, but the premium still sell to the die hards for top dollar. I see the same with the early cars too. I think the same will happen to machines like everything when the age group gets older and the spark from the shows are over and forgotten. The rare and desirable will have value and the common will be very affordable.

I do a lot of buying a reselling, and some severely underestimate the stuff from 70's and 80's, toys, music and collectibles. Remember when all of that stuff went thru the roof with the 50's and 60's stuff, then it gets to the bigger items. And who is collecting hopalong cassidy now anyway? nobody under 55!! I think when someone in my age group restores their 1984 Mustang GT they won't want a visible pump and vendo 81 in the display, they will want the square top with a bottle door (and woodgrain!) and the Sunoco racing fuel pump beside it. God forbid when we get to the fast and the fickle rice burner cars!!!

However, If the Chinese market ever opens up to collecting and it does what the Japan market did with all things American, watch out! It will be higher than ever!! Asian antiques are thru the roof and there is a mass export back there with their goods via auctions.

Tim
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:55:18 am »

The thing that will keep this hobby going, is the fact that Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, 7up, Crush, RC and many others are still produced and marketed.   I collect lots of advertising items and the things that bring the most money and the biggest demand are the brands that people recognize the most.  Most of us collect items that were produced way before we were born, because we recognize the brand name.  As long as the brand names live the items will be collectible. Just look on ebay, you will see a Coke sign from the 60's going for $350 and a Moxie sign from the 40's not getting any interest because most people don't remember or aren't interested in that brand..  Just my two cents...

Greg
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:06 am »

the things that bring the most money and the biggest demand are the brands that people recognize the most. 

That is very true, I just never realized it before.

Glen
Chris
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:35 am »

The thing that will keep this hobby going, is the fact that Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, 7up, Crush, RC and many others are still produced and marketed.   I collect lots of advertising items and the things that bring the most money and the biggest demand are the brands that people recognize the most.  Most of us collect items that were produced way before we were born, because we recognize the brand name.  As long as the brand names live the items will be collectible. Just look on ebay, you will see a Coke sign from the 60's going for $350 and a Moxie sign from the 40's not getting any interest because most people don't remember or aren't interested in that brand..  Just my two cents...

That is because MOXIE is disgusting........  LOL  Just kidding.

Chris

Vendo 23A
Vendo 80(Red/White Original)
Vendo 80(All Red Original)
Seeburg JL (Original)
Watling Penny Scale (Restored)
Stoner Jr
Stoner 180
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40:56 am »

The whole other side of this too is if you collecting now for investment purposes ,thinking your Rare VMC 81 is going get you that retirment condo on the beach, then your doing it for the wrong reasons...

I collect now because I like it "now"... If I happen to have a few discretionary dollars available and I like something I buy it now, display it and enjoy it now...

sure I'd hope to get my money out of it if and when the time comes to sell but I'm not basing my buying decision on that...

Have you seen that new show out now called Collection obsession or collection hoarding.. can't remember the name... can't wait for one of use to be featured!  biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:13:30 am »

Just look on ebay, you will see a Coke sign from the 60's going for $350 and a Moxie sign from the 40's not getting
any interest because most people don't remember or aren't interested in that brand..  Just my two cents...

That's right... so just save yourself some time and send me those no name Nichol Kola coolers you all have hidden
behind your Vendo 81s!... Please!!! biggrin

Eric

WANTED:
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:48:11 am »

Needless to say only time will tell. I did think it was going to die but I think different now. First, I thought I was the youngest guy here, 44, but I don't think that anymore which is very good. Born in 67 I grew up in the 70's and don't remember any of this stuff, all the 50's machines were long gone. It seems like all the collectors I know are older then me and always talk about remembering seeing this stuff as a kid which I didn't. The sad thing is most people don't like or even care about this stuff, only a handfull like us. We can have friends, family, neighbors, etc. come to the house where I always have a few machines displayed and honestly they go unnoticed.   

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:52 pm »

Mygoose...I'm in the same boat as you.  I just turned 40 a few months ago.  I have these machines displayed in MY mancave (the Mrs doesnt read these posts) and just a few people are somewhat interested in my machines when they see them, most dont even ask about them.  Yet ALL my friends laugh and joke about "when is your next road trip pto get another machine.?" 
I've stopped telling friends and family when I'm going or what I'm getting.  It's MY hobby, I enjoy it, I like the  machines, and I get them now because I'm alive now, and I want to have that smile on my face now, not when I'm 80 and I have that smile because of the meds that I'm on.

Figure it out this way (thats what I always do for fun, and the justify it to myself lol)

Fugure out what you've spent on all  your machines. Then add up all the years you've had them, add up all the years you HOPe to still be alive, take that number and divide it by what you spent on the machines, then divide it by 365 (days in a year) and you come up with a number that usually is the cost of a cup of coffee per day.
Hey, that would be a good thread to start lol.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 08:25:52 pm »

All very well said. I think the interest is strong. For the most part guests and neighboors get a kick out of the toys. Age range is 30 to 70.
Some could care less. I understand that. One could have the finest collection of Barbie dolls but I have no interest in those. Each their own.

Biggest problem I see is after morgage/food/gas most folks don't have much left over. Buying cool stuff is far down the list.

Pondered Mr. Bonovox's formula and it was pennies a day. I'll never get back the $45 I paid for a non working Talking Viewmaster. But turning into a working unit was great fun.
My nephew will do well on the RT-56. Buy what you like and have fun.
Creighton

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:29:44 pm by Creighton » Logged
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »

50's machine are made of steel, right? So they're at least worth their weight at the current market value of steel...  tounge

Vendo 81A
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:47 pm »

Have you seen that new show out now called Collection obsession or collection hoarding.. can't remember the name... can't wait for one of use to be featured!
TLC contacted me for something along those lines... I passed them onto someone else...

My six cents,

Jim

SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »

In my early Twentys I started collecting the Jim Beam Bottles, mostly the autos, because of there value then, now it has dropped completely. It taught me collecting is for fun and meeting people with the same interest, and if you make a few bucks trading and selling its a win. Do get me wrong I am always trying to keep up on the value of everything and what most sought after just in case I find it. tounge

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Master (sold)
Westinghouse Standard (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »

In my early Twentys I started collecting the Jim Beam Bottles...because of there value then, now it has dropped completely.

I collected those, but when empty they became worthless to me! LOL happydrinkers biggrin laugh laugh

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 01:06:49 am »

Mygoose...I'm in the same boat as you.  I just turned 40 a few months ago.  I have these machines displayed in MY mancave (the Mrs doesnt read these posts) and just a few people are somewhat interested in my machines when they see them, most dont even ask about them.  Yet ALL my friends laugh and joke about "when is your next road trip pto get another machine.?" 
I've stopped telling friends and family when I'm going or what I'm getting.  It's MY hobby, I enjoy it, I like the  machines, and I get them now because I'm alive now, and I want to have that smile on my face now, not when I'm 80 and I have that smile because of the meds that I'm on.

Figure it out this way (thats what I always do for fun, and the justify it to myself lol)

Fugure out what you've spent on all  your machines. Then add up all the years you've had them, add up all the years you HOPe to still be alive, take that number and divide it by what you spent on the machines, then divide it by 365 (days in a year) and you come up with a number that usually is the cost of a cup of coffee per day.
Hey, that would be a good thread to start lol.

happydrinkers

i am extremely new to this hobby, working on my first machine. But couldn't agree more.  No one seems interested or cares that I am working on my machine. But it is my hobby, its my pressure release from reality. I am not a hardcore collector but enjoy blasting my precious 80's music and getting lost in my new hobby. I think as long as people need a nice hobby and don't care about making the fast buck these machines will continue to be "worked on" and appreciated.

Again, very much a greenhorn and its just my .02

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 08:31:05 am »

Being new to machine collecting and restoration I think as long as there is interest it will survive. When I pick up a machine I have my 16 year old help me and he asks what I'm going to do with it. I tell him that it's getting restored and I'm keeping it and it will be his one day. Now every time I'm working on one he comes out to help. I have one motivating factor for the 50's machines is my father, he saw both of my chest coolers and remembers them when he was a kid. So it does make me happy to see him feel young when looking at them. Other than that I enjoy working on them and making them run and that is all that matters in the end.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »

I think there is a certain amount of "cool factor" with having something that the average Joe does not have. We all own mass produced appliances, electronics, and other stuff, much of which is made overseas. Not one of my friends, family members, nor coworkers owns a 1950s made in USA soda machine, but many of them like my machine and wish they could own one.

Vendo 81A
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »

I agree with Glen. As soon as the little bottle are discontinued things will change.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 04:40:03 pm »

I never buy the small bottles. They're too pricey. I buy the Mexican bottles from Costco.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »

Coke just came out with 8oz. small aluminum bottles with a twist off cap. Regular Coke, diet, Sprite and Coke Zero. Cost per case for retailers, $32. Ouch!

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »

Like most of you I actually use my machine. I have been lucky enough to get Coke and some assorted flavors at my local Walmart. Recently I have been buying Coke and Dr Pepper in the 16oz plastic bottles and my CS96 does not seem to have any problem vending them. I think I will continue to experiment with some other flavors and bottle shapes. The plastic water bottles were a little difficult to use due to the very short neck and thin bottle casing but that may just be the brand we were buying.  happydrinkers

~ Bryan
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: