SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 03:42:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gas pump  (Read 33539 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: September 14, 2010, 02:12:20 pm »

Found a gas pump on craigslist that I am thinking of buying. The guy wants 50 dollars for it. It is a newer pump but I like the style and I would be buying it to keep. The pics look rough but he says he has the parts that go around the numbers and the nozzle. Does not think he has a hose though but I would proboly replace that anyway because I would think it would smell like gas pretty bad. Here are the pics. The parts look like they are in good shape just really dirty and I think restoring it would be fun. Also the pics are upside down because the guy has it sitting on what looks like a piece of wood upside down.
Here are the pics

Pat Pixley
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »

If you like it buy it , when it come down to it  your going to keep it and restore it  smile
 SOme of that stainless steel should clean up nice it would be pretty cool looking. smile
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:37:32 pm »

Do you think it is in good shape for the price? I saw that gas pump heaven sells a hose for 20 bucks so I might just buy that if I get it. I might also see if I can skip the shipping charges and pick it up because I found out that they are here in Omaha actually about a 10-15 minute drive from where I live. What do you have to do to restore one of these? Does not look like as much work as a pop machine. Looks like a metal box with some lights and the dial part. Just got to figure out where to get a decal for it.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:22:00 pm »

Decals are easily found, there are several places, including  Gaspump Heaven that sell them

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:58:54 pm »

I would remove the pump if it is not already out as it is heavy and stinks. Then all you have to do is body work and paint. Just make sure it is complete as parts wont be readily available. It is a cool looking pump. These will be like square top soda machines. While they are not too collectable now they eventually will be. I would say that if you like it then you can't go wrong for $50 if its complete.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:56 pm »

I've seen these restored and/or made into display cases for die cast cars and oil cans.. very cool...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:19:57 pm »

I didn't notice at first but the pump says Avgas 100LL on it so it has been used at an airport. 100LL means 100 octane Low Lead which is light aircraft fuel. That pump would look killer if done in AeroShell!!!!!!!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:24:15 pm »

Here is a link for ebay for the aeroshell decals. The pump looks like it was blue before so it wasn't originally phillips 66 so you can do it in anything you want.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Aeroshell-aviation-sticker-12-x4-5-/270372581387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef376300b#ht_500wt_928
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:17:16 pm »

Does it look complete? He said that the metal part that goes around the numbers is there and he has the nozzle. No hose but I would proboly replace that anyway just because I would think it would stink pretty bad.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:36:59 pm »

The metal part that goes around the numbers) is called a face plate, sometimes a computer face  and while it's upside down, it appears complete.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: