SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 05:16:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wc 42 t  (Read 9301 times)
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:10:37 pm »

We have a capper, a funnel, and lots of unused crown caps.   Our capper came from an antique shop, but they are always on ebay as well and not expensive at all.  You can buy blank caps made for home brewing, or buy them in bulk with old logos on them.  Our current batch are Hires Root Beer.  We go buy the 3 liter bottles of Coke/Dr. Pepper to fill the bottles with, since that is the cheapest route.  We fill the bottles to within about 1 1/2 inches from the top using the funnel, then cap them with the capper and wipe them down so they aren't sticky.  As long as you get a good seal (read: push down pretty hard with the capper), they will last a good long time.  We still have 2 or 3 bottles of Dr. Pepper that was bottled about 5 years ago and were what was left in the S-48 when the freon line split inside the machine and leaked out (still need to get that fixed, got a quote for $300 from a guy here last month   Oo ).   I opened one, and it still was as fizzy as when bottled.  Again, the better the seal, the longer it lasts.  Make sure your old bottles don't have any flea bites in the rim.  I've only ever had one of the DP bottles break while vending down the chute in the S-48, and it may have had a stress flaw somewhere.  

It usually took us about 30 minutes to fill and cap enough for a full load plus pre-cool in the S-48.  It's fun, like you said, and well worth the effort!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 02:20:28 pm »

I do exactly the same with my V-39 and my coke bottles.

Signguy - If you do have difficulty getting hold of a capper let me know and I'll pick you up one at
a homebrew shop just up the road from me and bring it across in April...

My bottles don't last much more than a week cos we drink them...

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 04:03:01 pm »

Fun-Tronics lists a capper and generic gold caps in their catalog...

If Steve doesn't sell Coca Cola caps, then nobody does? I would like to start
refilling old bottles rather than dispense the new bottles, in the machines that are
for sale in my store and properly labeled bottle caps would certainly be a plus.

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 04:09:23 pm »

If Steve doesn't sell Coca Cola caps, then nobody does? I would like to start
refilling old bottles rather than dispense the new bottles, in the machines that are
for sale in my store and properly labeled bottle caps would certainly be a plus.

I bought 500 unused silver CC caps off eBay a couple of years ago - cheap too! I bet you can still acquire some.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 10:31:13 am »

Thanks Guys.... I'll have to try that ...
It have over 100 cases of old bottles still... will just have to wash them REAL GOOD... maybe even boil them, as they have been sitting a long time...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:32:10 am »

Thanks, I'll check into the capper from a home brew shop...there are several around me..

I have over 100 cases of the old 6.5 Green Hobbleskirts left... will have to really clean them or maybe boil them to sterilize?

Thanks

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 11:12:56 am »

I don't suppose you have any old pepsi bottles???
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

When I clean mine the first time, I use antibacterial dish soap and a bottle brush (or a piece of paper towel and dowel rod) to scrub down the bottles on the inside.  For the Coke hobbleskirts and Dr. Pepper embossed, we run them through the dishwasher as well for sterilizing.  This may be a bit more labor intensive with 100 cases, but...   Oo  For subsequent cleanings, just a soak in a soapy sink or a run through the dishwasher works fine.  Be careful that too many runs through a dishwasher will take the paint of non-embossed bottles!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: