SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 03:08:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse Vend Motor  (Read 38950 times)
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2012, 02:35:17 am »

No, no luck on the motor unfortunately. I fabricated something to make it vend by turning a knob. Honestly, it was a pretty simple solution, just need the right tools

Ahhhh,
Nice thinking!
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 01:18:38 pm »

Well, got it moved in last night (pictures soon) and it went relatively well considering its a 400lb machine. My roommates let it run overnight and unfortunately, woke to found that it hadn't cooled... at all. Looks like I might be heading back over tonight and hopefully, fingers crossed, find that it's a "relatively easy" fix but I have my doubts. I'm just hoping that I don't have to replace the whole unit.

If it does need replaced though, at least we have a very nice looking, 400lb, decorative piece!

Tom
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 01:36:40 pm »

If you can't get it running let me know.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 11:15:36 pm »

Well, if I did this right, there should be two pictures of the finished machine. The lighting isn't too great but I think you can kind of get a feel for what it looks like. As with most finished machines it seems, I'd like some estimates on what the new value would be.

The inside wasn't refurbished (maybe someday) but just not enough money right now lol.
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2012, 11:21:41 pm »

Now for the crank vend I have been talking about. As you can see, it's pretty simple and with this, you can bypass the broken vend motor issue
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:42 pm »

Not the easiest angle to see from but essentially, it's a few easy steps (pardon my lack of incorrect terminology):

You will have to purchase a steel rod, flat piece of steel, a knob, and hitch pins, although a bent nail works also

1) Remove the vend motor but keep the boomerang looking piece
2) Drill a hole through the side of the machine the same diameter as the steel rod
3) Cut the rod to length (8" maybe? I can't remember)
4) Thread the outside end of the rod to whatever diameter your knob opening is
5) Drill a hope (a drill press is recommended) through the circular opening on the boomerang
6) Drill another hole, the same diameter, through the rod
7) Align the two holes and insert a hitch pin or bend a nail
Cool Cut the flat steel to length and drill a hole on both ends to match the size of the nubs on the boomerang and upper vend mechanism
9) Attach the steel piece to the nubs
10) Attach hitch pins to the provided grooves 
11) Attach a hitch pin over the rod right against the inner cabinet, this will prevent it from shifting left
12) Attach you knob

You're done!

* The flat piece of steel will most likely need to be grinded down. You can see the middle of mine is cut back and the bottom corners were rounded off as well. This part is really trial and error until it no longer hits the door.

And there you have it, a way to still use the machine without a vend motor. If someone follows these steps and notices that I didn't include a step or something doesn't work, please let me know and I will edit the steps
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2012, 11:49:58 pm »

And to complete my massive picture upload, the refrigeration system. After letting it run overnight (with no fires), my roommate said the compressor would kick on for 5-10 minutes and then shut off for another 5-10, over and over. I know this is very vague but if anyone had similar problems or sees a glaring problem in my pictures, please post any and all advice you may have
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 12:29:08 am »

Well, the refrigeration system is now working, thanks to the guidance of Ken (kbareit). He told me what areas to look at and sure enough, the evaporator fan was hitting the fins and wasn't spinning. After a few gentle bends to the bottom of the fan blades, it started right up and after an hour or so, that cabinet was cold! Pretty pumped right now
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 09:19:07 am »

That's great to hear, fixed on the telephone. Good call Ken.

You may experience more of a humming noise comming from that fan now. Once the blades have been bent they never seem to be balanced quite right again. Replacements are very inexpensive though.

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 09:26:55 am »

There is a vend motor on eBay right now. The guy wants an arm and a leg for it ($120) in unknown condition. C'mon man - plug the darn thing in and see if it rotates. He has a bunch of machines too, but all of them seem to be priced with TV goggles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coca-Cola-Machine-Vend-Motor-Coke-Part-Parts-/200854659138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec3dee042

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: