SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 08:53:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on a Westinghouse Standard Electric  (Read 2292 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: June 10, 2010, 10:54:49 am »

I picked this up a week ago for $75, and I'm trying to figure out the best plan for it.  I can't decide if I should restore it, get it working and sell it, or keep it for myself.

The good:

Basically complete, only missing the cap catcher.  Nothing but a very small amount of surface rust on the paint, the liner is clean and all underneath is clean.  Machine is straight, except for one dent on the bottom that I have already hammered out.  Compressor runs.

The not-so-good:

Compressor needs a freon charge, but it has the service ports already installed.  What should it cost me to charge it?
The lids need to have the bottom metal replaced, the top is clean.  Has anyone just replaced the underside of the lids, keeping the original tops?
The upper agitator motor is no good, and finding a replacement might be tough.

So what do you think is the best path?  Strip out the compressor and sell it as an ice chest, add the freon and see how it does as an electric, or do a complete restore on it. 

Thanks

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:32 pm »

Has anyone ever converted a Standard into a dry machine, adding a fan and a non-contact thermostat instead of the agitator motor?  Would it be worth it to try something like this with my machine? 

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:21:41 pm »

The water feature is neat, I had one in my shop last year and there was nothing like pulling a glass bottle soda out of it. If it was mine I would try hard as possible to keep it a water bath machine.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pages: [1]   Go Up