SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 10:47:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to finally restore 81a this year - question about level of restoration  (Read 9674 times)
photogman

« on: January 15, 2013, 02:56:25 pm »

I haven't posted for a couple of years and life has kept me from restoration until now when I feel like I am ready to tackle it.  My biggest question is have you ever heard of anyone/yourself that restores the whole inside and outside except for the paint job?  All my friends and my wife think it looks good enough on the outside and think it should retain its original paint and character. 

Here is the still working website of pics I have taken.     http://www.nylen.com/pics/archival/81a/

It has a dent on the top near the door which I think needs to be pounded out but that about it.  I would really like to get your opinion about me doing everything but the paint on the outside.  Thanks
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »

You couldn't pay me enough to restore that survivor!! I would refinish the bottom of the inside, send out a little chrome, and call that bad boy done!! I would want that over a restored machine any day!!

Tim
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:07:44 pm »

Most of the time, I restore everything regardless of it's"original condition"  but I would make an exception in this case.  Chrome and a little powder coat and enjoy.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
photogman

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:50 pm »

I'm thinking re chrome everything, new wiring, maybe spray inside with Line-X, spray on insulation?? And leave outside paint original.  Send out cooling unit and also send out coin changer for overhaul.
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »

I agree, don't touch the outside.. fix up the inside... looks great on the outside..

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:09 pm »

That machine is way to nice outside to restore.  Remove the inner parts and clean / paint / powdercoat and leave the rest alone.
photogman

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58:20 pm »

I want to get rid of any rust inside.  Is the best way to restore to put everything in plastic bags, label it and take tons of pictures as you take it apart?  And do they sell a definitive restoration book that tells you the ins and outs of the process?  Thanks for your responses.  I can see this is just the start of many, many questions I will have and I hope you don't get tired of me asking questions. 

I heard there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions:)
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:46 pm »

Agree, way too nice to restore the outside of that machine.  Take pictures every step of the way, I would replace every screw with a stainless screw, (funtronics sells an entire kit) You would be amazed how well the inside will clean up with a little elbow grease, just be careful.  Good luck. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:01:16 pm »

I bet that when you remove the evap, you will find pinholes underneath. I would remove the whole liner and old insulation. Treat any visible rust issues on the inside and new insulation. I didn't go that far with mine, but wish I had.
Diluted CLR works well for cleaning up the calcium buid-up. POR15 will self level into the pinholes - I used POR for my bottom pan and left the rest original.
I'd leave the chrome the way it is.
An unobtrusive cleaning of the coin mech can be done.
New fans, T-stat and a good cleaning of the compressor area are always needed.
IMO - The best refurbishment is one that is not readily visible.  smile

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 08:50:40 pm »

If you restore that machine you should be banned from this site!!! Thats one of the cleanest 81A's that ive seen awesome survivor machine!!!

Yes take it apart, clean it detail it, pull the tub replace the insulation etc But PLEASE do not restore it!!!

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up