SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 04:30:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray in insulation.  (Read 4971 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« on: January 02, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »

ok, I know I'm opening myself up for a board blasting but i wanted to throw it out there.

Has anyone tried to use spray in insulation, say the low expand stuff for doors and windows. It would be a tighter seal, and would prevent condensation by filling up the gap completely creating a natural vapor barrier. Just tossing it out there to see what the thoughts were. Beside the cost of buying lots of cans, are there any reasons why this isn't being used?

It is becoming more and more common to use in houses in the northeast and honestly it works so well it is causing new houses to have to have a fresh air exchanger because the inside air is becoming stale, not an issue on a soda machine that has a bottle door opening.

Tim
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

Once it's in place, god help you on trying to disassemble it again.    oops

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »

Once it's in place, god help you on trying to disassemble it again.    oops

I agree, it will be brutal in at the next restoration in 30 years, but if you do it right the first time, you shouldn't have to get back into it in your lifetime.

Tim
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:13 pm »

I would just be careful with it over expanding....I wont tell you how I know that biggrin

~ Bryan
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:57:39 pm »

I thought about doing it to my 33 when I did it. I didn't research it much, but was thinking of putting plastic on the cabinet and liner. After that full the void with foam and once dry remove the liner and have a molded piece of insulation.

Appliances use spray stuff now. And it seems to work well. Something else that I have wondered is why my refrigerator runs silently and my soda machines are louder. Seems like we could make them run quieter.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:42:40 am »

I thought about doing it to my 33 when I did it. I didn't research it much, but was thinking of putting plastic on the cabinet and liner. After that full the void with foam and once dry remove the liner and have a molded piece of insulation.

Appliances use spray stuff now. And it seems to work well. Something else that I have wondered is why my refrigerator runs silently and my soda machines are louder. Seems like we could make them run quieter.

The plastic wrap with the spray in is an interesting idea.  What would work great is that stuff that is stuck on the front of TV screens and other metal parts in packing to avoid scratching.  I think with the appliances there is no problem using the spray in because there is no expectation to ever pull them apart.  Life expectancy on most appliances is about 7 years--not like the old days.  I still think that foam board would be a better alternative to regular insulation than the spray in.  Easier to sculpt and no mess if you have to take it apart down the road.

On the noise difference, I know my refrigerator is up against the wall between two cabinets so the sound if any would be more muffled.  It also has the vented cardboard backed with insulation covering the back of the compressor opening.  My USS 64 is not that loud but I think I could quiet it down by replacing all of the fans and putting some rubber bushings on the compressor mounts.  On most soda machines the compressor opening in the back is wide open so perhaps covering that with a vented piece of cardboard backed with insulation would dampen the sound a lot more.  Not sure what that would do to the ventilation of the compressor area though.   The only noise I hear out of mine is when the compressor cycles and it rattles a bit.  That is an interesting question on the difference in noise levels though.

drinking Tim drinking
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:41 am »

I guess as long as you used the stuff safe for windows and doors that doesn't "PUSH" too hard during expansion...
as far as 30 years down the road, honestly that would not be a concern for me..

would be interesting and worth a shot I suppose?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: