SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 10:30:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation R?  (Read 3264 times)
KennyG

« on: December 31, 2011, 11:57:39 am »

Obviously I am a newbie with this question. I see a lot of posts that recommend either R-13 or R-19 for insulating the machine.  I have a Vendo 81D and I was planning on using R-30.
 Is that ok to use?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »

Sure, if you can get it shoe-horned into it & still get the liner back in , it will be fine, just make sure it's UN-faced insulation, ( no paper on the backside) & while you have it apart, spray some undercoating or truck bed liner on inside of the chassis along the belt line & bottom of the "floor" where the liner sits, this will prevent future rust-outs from condensation or a leaky drain fitting.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
KennyG

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »

Thanks..Great idea..I did not even think of that.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:59:05 pm »

the thing to keep in mind however with the higher R value is that that "Value is when the insulation is in it's expanded state, as you compress it it loses some of it's insulating (R) value..

R 19 is about 6 inches thick when in its uncompressed state and you have to compress it to about 3 to fit in between the cabinet walls and liner.. so even though it's 19, I bet the R Value drops to 10-12 or so? not sure howto figure the ratios...

so if your using r 30.. it must be like 12 inches thick uncompressed.. so keep in mind , like stated, you'll have to compress it alot to get the liner in... and then of course losing some R Value.

I think it's overkill and just more work... would stick to 19 or so..

I've tried R11, and that is only 3.5 inches uncompressed and it bunchs too easy so I did not use it...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
KennyG

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:10:28 pm »

Thanks again.. The R-30 was way too thick..I went out and got the R-19..Much better
Thanks for your all the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: