SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 11:40:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Flow  (Read 4876 times)
golgade

« on: August 04, 2011, 08:14:46 am »

Hey Guys,
Im trying to conquer this refrigeration business, and like most I have some questions. I have been testing my machine for a few weeks now plugging it in and seeing the cut in time and cut out time. So far I have a PR of 8.5 minutes on and about the same off. That was a few weeks ago. After some tinkering this week however I am at MAYBE 3 minutes off and about 7 on, so I am a little concerned. This week has been way hotter then before, probably 20-25 degrees hotter, which could explain alot. My tinkering this week, was adding another seal at the bottom of my machine and adding 3 more plastic gallons inside the machine. I am wondering if this is whats tripping me up. I have about 6 gallons of water inside the bottom of my machine, I wonder if this is affecting air flow. The thermostat is right there, and I do have a thermometer right there as well and its giving me a proper cut in temp, but the temp goes back up SO QUICK, it went from 30 to 40 in 8 minutes. I have replaced all the seals and its really only changed a little. I wonder if its the air flow, or if I should look into doing the insulation, because something isn't right.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:20:17 am by golgade » Logged
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:26:12 am »

What kind of machine is this?

Greg
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:55 am »

I'm hoping with 6 gallons of water in it, you must be talking about a water bath type chest cooler?
of so, airflow on the inside is not a problem, and ift's loosing cold that fast, I'd say you have some bad insulation or seals that is allowing the cold to escape, therefore makeing your compressor work harder and longer to get it cold.
just a thought, based on not knowing what machine/cooler your talking about.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »

Thats what I am wondering about.  The six plastic gallons in the bottom got me curious.  If its not a water bath, I was wondering what machine would hold six gallon jugs in the bottom.

Greg
golgade

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:19:32 pm »

I have an attached picture so you can see my water set up. Its a little getto, but at least I will have some fresh water come the end of the world. Actually, my plan is to put a soda keg in there when I start kegging my homebrew. I must have been high or something when I was looking over the seals, because on closer inspection with the old light on the inside trick shows alot of light on the hindge side and on the top towards that side. I looked closer and couldn't believe I missed the door being bent. im not going to be able to fix it, so I was wondering if I could use some of the rubber foam weather stripping on the metal side to bridge the gaps.

And sorry I thought I had the model at the bottom. Its a choice vend VUB-9-72
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:52:51 am »

Another Homebrewer!!.. cool. There are a few of us here also.. I converted one of my soda machines into a temp controlled fermentation chamber. I use a long thermocouple  stuck through the carboy cap to measure temp. I removed the thermostat on the machine and connected to a digital temp controller. I can set the temp whatever I want and the machine takes over. Worked great on the 2 lagers I have done as well as a bunch of ales. I had some pictures of my setup but can't seem to find them right now. I also converted another V63 with some flat shelves to keep my HB cold without laying on its side. Works great and I can lock it to keep the kids out...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:25:29 am »

Ok, now I get it... are you keeping the water in there for drinking purposes or are you trying to help keep the cool in the machine? justcurios.. as far as air flow,, I suppose it would hinder it a bit , but i think your true culprit is the door seals , like you pointed out..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
golgade

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:48:04 pm »

Its for cooling the machine, I just don't have enough variety in the pop I drink or enough money. If only great beer came in cans, I could have all the variety one could ever want  smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: