SMC Discussion Areas
May 06, 2024, 03:40:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any good pics of an 81D cooling unit?  (Read 8612 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: March 13, 2011, 01:46:15 pm »

Does anyone have a good pic or to of a cooling unit for an 81D that is not in the cabinet?  I have my deck removed and the compressor is sitting at a definate angle on the mounting plate.  I would say it is at 30° or so.  Seems odd to me and I hve seen some pics with the units in the cabinets that don't appear to be at any angle at all.  The unit is mounted solid to the plate so there is no play of any kind.  Hoping I don't have an issue here.  Also, out of curiousity, was taking apart the linkage assembly inside the door on my RT56 earlier this week.  There is a bushing on the inside of the door that the pin from the coin mech goes through.  It was covered with a bunch of greasy goo but after removing it and cleaning it up, I found out it was made of wood.  That really surprised me.  Is that the way they came from the factory?

I'll try to post some pics of my compressor later on.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:48 pm »

My V-81B refrigeration system is out; I'm not sure about the differences, but I can opst a few photos tomorrow...
Let me know...

My six cents,

Jim

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:37 am »

From what it sounds like , it's just bent over? they are suppose to be straight up and down.. you must have one of the smaller Pancake style compressors like this one in the photo.. I've also seen some larger compressors in the D's as well., and they can get "pushed".. hopefully the plate is solid and not rusted? you may just have to "push" it back upright..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

OK, here is the dilema.  My base plate is not overly rusty, just extremely dirty.  It is bent where the compressor bolt holes are located to conform to the angle shown but this is easily corrected.  I was hoping that I might just need to tighten the bolts down, but they are tight in the current configuration.  The only thing keeping it from being straightened back up is the refrigerant line running from the compressor to the condensor.  It is holding the compressor at this angle.  To straighten the compressor, it will need to rotate towards the condensor.  This rotation will put a twisting motion on the refrigerant line.  I am not concerned about bending it, but twisting could be a bigger issue.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Also, is this compressor style typical of the 81Ds or do you think it was replaced at some time?  I have a56 unit out as well and it is identical to this one,  except for the tilt obviously. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:01 am »

The high-side line on this unit that goes from the compressor to the condenser is steel, not copper, so it will resist kinking better, but be careful when you do straighten it as the female fitting that it's brazed to at the compressor end is a thinner gauge steel & will kink quite easily...( I've made this mistake myself ). 

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:49:47 am »

Someone must have had a really hard time accessing the condenser fan!   tounge

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:47:15 pm »

Someone must have had a really hard time accessing the condenser fan!   tounge
laugh
Yeah , wow.. it's bent alright.. It needs to be put back to upright I'm sure to ensure the oils in the compressor do their job properly.. your goiong to have to just work it slowly and bend your lines along with the compressor.. just take your time, maybe have someone help.

but yeah , it's definataly bent? does it even cool? cause if its' already broken or lines are bent, then your going to have to have it rebuilt anyways. then no worries. but if it's currenly working,, just take your time..and make sure all the lines move with the compressor back to original position.

Good luck

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »

John,

I want one of those wireless compressors like you have in your photo.   laugh.  Not 100% sure yet if it cools.  It was cooling in the recent past, but wiring is in such bad condition I am not going to plug it in until I get that redone.  I also don't want to plug it in until the unit is back to vertical, so that comes first, then the wiring.  Then plug it in and see what we get.  Plan to bend a little bit at a time on the high pressure side then a little bit on the low pressure side and slowly work it back to vertical.  Then I can take the plate out and straighten it as well. 

By the way, when does your patent get approved on the shopping cart/compressor stand combo?  I think you have a market for those on this board.  Also, did your shelf show up?

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:51:15 pm »

biggrin Yeah the wireless ones are the way to go.. they are a little more expensive , but no ugly mess of wires! biggrin
DISLAIMER for the Newbies.. (we're joking)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:28:12 pm by johnieG » Logged

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:16:40 pm »

Talking to a couple of guys around the office about how this could have happened and one guy had a pretty good thought.  If the machine was put on a moving dolly and taken down a flight of stairs and allowed to basically drop from one step to the next, do you think that could cause enough torque on the compressor to slant it like it is?  Especially if the bolts holding it to the base plate were not very tight.  The machine was never dropped because the cabinet has no damage of any kind. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 04:37:26 pm »

No I don't think that would cause it.. someone tried to get in there for some reasonand it was bent somehow.. ou sure the bolts are not rusty and brittle? again, should be an easy fix, just take your time and go slow with it

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:01:27 pm »

Well we got the compressor back to vertical and redid the wiring to see if it would cool.  Bad news on that front.  Thermal overload tripped almost immediately.  Replaced the overload and it still tripped.  Looks like its toast.  My guess is it is siezed up from running at such an extreme angle.  So now I am trying to decide what to do with it for the long term.  Have it reworked, buy new, or find a donor.  I like the idea of keeping an original compressor in it so I will finish out the machine and keep my eyes out for a parts machine I can steal a cooling unit from.  If that doesn't pan out, I'll be talking to Eric.  He's doing some chrome for me now so we will be talking soon anyway.  Are there any other machines besides the 81, 56, and 80 that use the same cooling assembly?  Especially one that might be considered less desireable to the masses?

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: