SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 01:59:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking meters?? Anyone?  (Read 12276 times)
redlegs

« on: November 06, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »

Anyone into vintage parking meters? smile
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:16:26 pm »

I have a working 1920's Duncan-Miller meter I bought at Chicago a few years back.  Haven't managed to restore it yet... still on the "round to it" pile. 

I got an interesting reaction from the TSA when I sent my carry-on through the x-ray machine with it inside.   smile

1st TSA Agent:   "Sir, we are going to need yo to open this bag"
Me:   "No problem sir, I suspected you might"
2nd TSA Agent (running x-ray machine):  "Before you open the bag... is it a parking meter?"
Me:  "Yes, I bought it at a coin-op show."
2nd TSA Agent:   "Pay up Steve, I guessed it!"

Opened the bag, showed them the meter and on my way I went.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:28:34 pm »

At least they speak English now. 2001 Pre-TSA, I was bringing home a Coke cooler sign with the arrow. I had it all wrapped up and the non-English speaking people at the San Jose Airport could only point and say " Bow and Arrow ! Bow and Arrow!" I had to demand a supervisor that spoke English to get it resolved. Those were the good old days, huh?

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:22:29 am »

I bought a three slot pay phone home once in my luggage and I was whisked away to a little room whilst they swabbed it for explosives.

I've got a couple of parking meters somewhere both minus the key. They both work but I can't get the money back. They are on my "round to list" too.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:01:45 am »

I have a couple. If it's a Duncan parts can be had. Others may take some time.
Creighton
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:05:59 am »

I have a working 1920's Duncan-Miller meter I bought at Chicago a few years back.  Haven't managed to restore it yet... still on the "round to it" pile. 

I got an interesting reaction from the TSA when I sent my carry-on through the x-ray machine with it inside.   smile

1st TSA Agent:   "Sir, we are going to need yo to open this bag"
Me:   "No problem sir, I suspected you might"
2nd TSA Agent (running x-ray machine):  "Before you open the bag... is it a parking meter?"
Me:  "Yes, I bought it at a coin-op show."
2nd TSA Agent:   "Pay up Steve, I guessed it!"

Opened the bag, showed them the meter and on my way I went.

Got me thinking. What better device than a parking meter to use as a detonator. Glad they didn't confiscate it.

Glen
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 09:36:22 pm »

I have a couple of meters and I bought on at a flea market for $25 and the person ran me down and said I left part of it behind . This pay box they gave me seems to be worth a few hundred on eBay .

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 05:39:05 am »

I bought one about 10 years ago. I drilled out the lock......aaaand that's as far as I've gotten.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 08:26:32 pm »

I have this Duncan meter here. Got it for christmas a few years back and ended up asking the public works department if they knew where I could find some parts for it (after explaining where I bought it) and they ended up drilling the lock out of the back and replacing the lense, giving me a coin cup and a pole mounting bracket. I still need to get around to welding up a base for it.

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 11:15:33 pm »

Alex,
Yours is a twin to the ones I have. Careful, a friend turned one upside down and the coins shifted and jammed it. The yellow "Violation" flag displays well however.
Creighton
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:58:15 am by Creighton » Logged
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:30 pm »

Have a few Duncans. Never seen a Curb Cop before, very cool.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 03:14:53 pm »

Not sure how people would pay right at the meter by droping money in the curb cop box I guess it was a more trusting time back then .

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 05:04:52 pm »

Not sure how people would pay right at the meter by droping money in the curb cop box I guess it was a more trusting time back then .

I think I read somewhere that the Curb Cop was a way for people to pay parking tickets. I guess they would just put the money in an envelope and drop it in the slot or something like that.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 10:17:33 pm »

That is how it worked. The ticket was on a small envelope that you put 3 dollars in.
Creighton
redlegs

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »

I restore and sell a few Duncan 50 and 60 park meters.  I have a method to get into the restricted lock on the coin door of the model 60 without drilling out the entire lock, it is reuseable.  Anybody interested let me know ill send video tried to post it too large.
redlegs

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 01:26:48 pm »

oh yeah that curb cop fine box is the bomb...nice!! biggrin
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 02:15:29 am »

Would like to see your video. Please send to cjs@lost-coast-designs.com  Thanks!
Creighton
redlegs

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 09:33:40 am »

sent
steedafla

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:40 am »

I have a few parking meters that I have picked up.  I have two Duncan Model 60's and a Dual Brand.  The Dual is nice because it's got a really neat art-deco look to it.  Maybe it's from the 50's?

I've been looking to find some Duncan model 50's to restore, just haven't gotten one yet.

I have had to drill out the locks to open the model 60's and haven't worked on the Dual yet.

Does anyone know where I can get keys for the coin cup?  I'd hate to drill that lock out as well!
redlegs

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 10:07:18 am »

don't drill out the coin lock on that 60, I have a way to get into that lock without destroying it, pm me ill send video.   take it out and take the dogs out, can open it with a screwdriver.  there is a guy on ebay wolf enterprises that refurbs locks with keys.

I have some working Duncan 50 meters I have been selling if you are interested.  not familiar with the dual?  I also have some new lenses for the Duncan 60s.

I have cavalier c55E i need coin box and opener bezel for????anyone??
steedafla

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 10:32:00 am »

I just sent you a PM.

I've embedded a picture of the Dual with this post - and a Duncan 60 behind it.  Strangely enough, I have seen this housing is also used on another brand of meter but I can't think of the name offhand.

redlegs

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 11:12:50 am »

I got into the parking meters this summer I broke my leg and had to have something to do.  I bought a bunch of Duncan 50 and 60s to tinker with, thanks for the picture of the dual, never seen one, does it function?
steedafla

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 01:36:06 pm »

I got into the parking meters this summer I broke my leg and had to have something to do.  I bought a bunch of Duncan 50 and 60s to tinker with, thanks for the picture of the dual, never seen one, does it function?

Sorry to hear about your leg.  It's gotta be hard to carry those meters around on crutches!

I got into parking meters just because I needed a hobby that wasn't computer-related since my job is in that field.  I couldn't stand sitting in front of a monitor for 14+ hours a day.

As far as the Dual, I haven't tried it out yet.  I just got it recently and was messing around with one of my other Duncan 60's.  I'll drop some change in it tonight and let you know.
redlegs

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 08:12:19 pm »

Hey hope the video helped you out. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: