SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 10:26:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Standard metal typer  (Read 12526 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: June 22, 2014, 10:48:35 am »

Does anyone own a metal typer?  I've had this for a few years and I could never get it to work.  The left arm is jammed and there were two tokens jammed on top of each other.  I popped them out but the stamping arm will not engage the hammer.  I'm looking for an internal video so I can figure out what's wrong.  Nothing on Youtube.  Manuals are no help.  This is not my machine.  This was on the net.  This one is in excellent condition, mines not as nice.

Thanks,

Larry.

A lot of stuff.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:32:25 pm »

Larry,

Here's a link to the PDF service manual for the machine, hopefully that helps out.

http://www.metal-typer.info/Manuals/Metal%20Typer%20Manual.pdf

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »

Thanks.  I have that manual and a few others that were on the web.  What I really would like to see is a video of the insides working.

I tried to remove the front plate, but it seems that the sides over lap them.  There has to be an easier way of seeing the innards.

A lot of stuff.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »

Does it open from the back?  That's what I can see on this Ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Standard-Metal-Typer-Coin-Operated-Arcade-Machine-/161292604247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258dc9d357

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:32:00 pm »

Yes, the back door comes off and there is a small front door too that can be removed.  I just can't see what I need to see.  That's why I tried to remove the front plate.  It looks like there is a large rod that needs to slide over to the right.  I'm guessing this because the rod has a point and there is a metal plate with a hole.  My guess is that it engages this plate through the hole and that's what will allow this to move the rest of it.  Too hard to see it with my eyes. tounge  I will have to examine it further.

A lot of stuff.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:28:43 pm »

I remember those machines.
I take a hi-res macro photo of things to compensate for my failing eyes, which can't see as well anymore. It helps immensely in some situation,
Is the left arm mechanics a mirror image of the right?
About all the help I can give Larry - sorry! Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:30:21 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:14:46 am »

No the left side raises a hammer and stamps the coin.  The right side dispenses the coin.  I figure there should be three steps.  Step one the coin loads, step two the coin is stamped, and step three the coin is dispensed.  I'm trying to figure out step one how the coin loads.  Does it load after the coin is dispensed or does it load when the hammer is engaged?  The 25c used to run the machine just energizes a solenoid which releases a lock on the left arm allowing the left arm to engage the hammer.  Otherwise the left arm just moves back and forth with no resistance.  I can get the left arm engaged but the mechanical parts are not moving.  I didn't work on it this weekend.  Maybe next weekend I will get into it more.  A video is what I need to see what part moves what.  Then I can figure out the sequence.

I use the phone in my camera to see behind corners.  I just wish the front would've come off without dismantling the sides.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:18:08 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:30:55 am »

Does it eject the tokens when you pull the right lever?  I think that action may be what loads the next token for stamping

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:31 am »

Yes, I believe so.  I know the right arm ejects the finished token.  My guess is that the right arm ejects the old token, feeds the new, and locks out the left handle.  But when I load the tokens into their chutes and pull the right arm, nothing loads.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:41:40 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »

There's a metal slide that should allow the next disc to drop down after ejecting the stamped one, it is labeled D in the photo.  This view is looking from the top down, you can see the back side of the slide when looking in from the back of the machine, just behind the token hopper.  Is the slide moving freely and allowing the token to drop in?  There is an adjustment screw on the front, B, that should allow the slide to be moved forward or back. 

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: