SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:22:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Candy machine  (Read 22526 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: June 30, 2010, 11:30:21 pm »

It looks like I might be getting my second machine. Since the pepsi machine is too big to bring back to school I am thinking of getting a small machine to have in my dorm. ( I really like having a vending machine there  laugh ) I decided that I want one of those candy machines like you see at the grocery stores that dispense gumballs or those little cheap toys so I put an ad on craigslist and I got a response from someone who has some. They did not tell me what model they were but they said they were red northwestern machines and they are clean and ready to go. I think they might be this kind http://www.nwcorp.com/products/machines/model60/ I am going to give them a call tomorrow and find out more. I will let you guys know what I find out. Also this time my parents know I am going to get a new machine  biggrin
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:40:31 pm »

Also are these machines pretty easy to take care of? It looks like from what I can see is you just fill it up and clean it every so often.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:52:25 pm »

Easy to take care of. Only thing to watch out for is if salted peanuts have been in the machine could be corrosion.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:53:35 pm »

Easy to take care of. Only thing to watch out for is if salted peanuts have been in the machine could be corrosion.
Creighton

I am really glad you said something about that. I was concidering putting those in there. Thanks for letting me know.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:43:48 am »

If you are not taking your big Pepsi machine back to school you might start looking for a Coinco CT-48 to replace it.  Nice compact machine that can vend 3 brands.  I have picked these up for $100 in great working condition.  The can be hung on the wall so they don't take up a lot of room.

drinking Tim drinking
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:30 pm »

That is a neat little machine. How many cans do they hold?
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 11:06:04 pm »

Are parts pretty easy to find for the candy machine? Maybe I will buy two or three and keep one as a parts machine.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

I have had a fe of these and they are easy and great machines. They hold 48 cans / 3 selections  so 16 cans each selection.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:40:56 pm »

I will have to look into getting one of those. I know there is an auto glass place here in town that has one. I see it through their window everytime I drive by there. But I don't know if they use it or not. Maybe I will ask them about it. It does not look like they have it plugged in so it might be worth a shot.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:42:04 pm »

Where do you get parts for the candy machine? Just wondering incase I need to get a key or replace some plastic parts.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 12:25:18 am »

Ok kind of a crazy idea but I was thinking and I think it would be really neat if you could turn one of the larger versions of these machines into a fish tank. Get one with the metal framed globe and rebuild it like a fish tank then use the area at the bottom to hold the air pump and run the air hose somewhere. I think that might be kind of neat. I don't know maybe I should get some sleep.  tounge
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 12:57:20 am »

Well that would be cool, except suspect you would spend all the time you should be studying plugging leaks :-)
Creighton
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 07:27:36 am »

And wondering if the trusses will hold the weight.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 11:16:25 am »

I think buying a candy machine is a great idea but I think you should use it for what it was intended for instead of a fish tank. I have a 1 cent Victor topper and I gave a glass dome northwestern to my nephew and two silent salesmen to my Brother-in-Law. He loved my Nephews machine so much he wanted one or two for himself so I found two on a stand for him. I rigged all three of theirs for free vend for them. They use them everyday and love them. I still need to fill mine.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 11:49:19 am »

Whislt I am a big fan of gumballs its the wall hangers that really interest me...

This is the little old lady I bought back from my recent trip..

She works like a dream on clockwork...
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 05:17:24 pm »

Yeah I bet it would be a pain to make it work as a fish tank and if I did decide to try to build one I would only use a machine that was no good. I could not destroy something like that if it works. I do plan on using one for its real purpose though. I want to set it up in my dorm and fill it up with M&Ms. I like having M&Ms but hate paying a dollar a bag a the vending machine downstairs so I think this would be perfect and it will be much quieter than a pepsi machine. I know my roommate loved the pepsi machine but hated how loud it was.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:29:40 pm by scalebowler » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 05:21:01 pm »

Thats a really neat looking machine. What's that inside of it? Looks like a little guy in there.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »

There is a mirror on the front, and that "guy" is the photographer DAVE.   

Just kidding!       biggrin    biggrin

Glen
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 05:37:33 pm »

There is a mirror on the front, and that "guy" is the photographer DAVE.   

Just kidding!       biggrin    biggrin

LOL!
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 07:34:16 pm »

Will one of these machines need to be mounted to a pole or something like that or will they do fine sitting on a counter?
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 07:51:15 pm »

Sit on a counter no problem.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 12:44:50 am »

Awesome! I am going to give them a call tomorrow. One other thing where do you get candy for these and about how much does it cost to fill it up? I want to fill it up with regular m&ms. Can I get these at a store or something or do I have to order it? I might contact my metal shop teacher from high school. He used to have one in the metal shop for us and he filled the machine himself.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 08:45:24 am »

sams club or costco have huge bags of m&ms that is how we fill my dads ford gumball machine
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 11:55:45 pm »

Awesome! I will have to check that out.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 01:25:08 pm »

I talked to the guy today. Real nice guy said he used to own a vending company and a while back and got out of the business and is just selling his stuff. Said he had at one time about 450 of these little machines stretching accross two states and he still has stuff like pop machines candy bar machines and other stuff. I wonder if he has any of the old machines left. He also said these machines were taken appart and the parts all cleanded up and they replaced the parts that needed to be replaced and they even have the keys which is a really big bonus. He said he sold all the glass globed ones as antiques a while back and then started to sell the plastic globed ones for about $25 each and then after a while he decided to just sell them for $10 each. I decided to buy two of them from him and I don't think I could have done better with finding the machines. He even is going to make sure there are no cracks in the globes and that they will work. I hope to talk to him more about these things when I get the machines. Maybe he will have some more interesting small vending machines.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 02:18:32 pm »

It might be worth seeing if he does have anything old..

I viist a little old man every now and again (80 plus years old) that ran a vending route in excess of
8000 machines at its height. Right across the country. I get a couple of machines and try and restore them
back to what they looked like when new. These machines are normally at least 50yrs old.

If yur man does have anything wall hanging (small) and orignal I'd certianly be interested...

Dave
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »

That is pretty neat. Maybe I might be able to get something like that going here. I hope to meet up with him and see what else he has. If he does have something like that I will let you know. Is there anything in particular that you want me to look for?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:26:09 pm by scalebowler » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 02:08:07 pm »

I have contacted the company who makes the machine asking some questions about it and so far I am really impressed. They responded almost instantly and gave me real answers (I'm used to companies just either ignoring my emails or giving me an answer that basically says we don't help people who are not in the business). I asked them if they had a manual for the machine and they not only sent me a PDF form of the manual for both versions of the machine but they sent me a price guide too showing the cost of each part for every machine and stand that they make and their prices I think are really reasonable. If I need any parts for these machines I am definatly going to order them from the manufacturer.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »

Sad that good service is rare these days. May want to pic-up some extra parts while you can.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 08:46:02 pm »

Thats not a bad idea. Maybe buy a few coin mech parts and some globes. Also thinking about getting some new decals for the front from them. My machines might not have those mylar decals looking nice on it.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 11:24:09 am »

I got the machines today. The guy was nice enough to drop them off I just wish that I had been home. Would have been fun to talk to him about this stuff. They are not northwestern machines like he said but they will work. I might see if the parts are interchangable and maybe replace some parts.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:57:58 am by scalebowler » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 11:52:10 am »

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

They used to have this weird gold paper stuff with some 3d effect in them but I really did not like them so I pulled them off. It looks like the paper stuff was just held on with elmers glue in one place. I think they actually look pretty good right now. Just have to do some cleaning.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 12:46:28 pm »

I think they look swell as is,

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 12:58:17 pm »

I think they do too. I do have to replace the cloudy looking globe though. There is a crack about an inch or so long near the top that I think will just get bigger if I don't do anything about it. Also got to get some of those 25 cent stickers.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 04:43:20 pm »

Also got to get some of those 25 cent stickers.

http://www.crowriver.com/coinop/  (I think they'll have what you want)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:44:52 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »

Wow I found this on that site. http://www.crowriver.com/clock/index.htm They took the top part of an old pinball machine and they made it into a clock. Too bad it is way out of my price range. That would be awesome to have.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 05:38:18 pm »

I'm going to have to find a keychain now for my machine keys. I wonder if I could find one with an older pepsi logo on it.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 01:04:49 pm »

I ordered some parts from Northwestern. The manufacturer of my machine would not give me any info like prices of parts or how to order them unless I contacted a sales rep which they would also not tell me so I looked at the only thing they sent me the part breakdown diagram and saw it said the parts in my machine are interchangable with a northwestern 60 so I just ordered the parts from northwestern. Glad I did that too. Northwestern has some awesome customer service. They respond back to you almost instantly and they even sent me a price list and two manuals for the model 60 and the super 60. Low prices too. I think it is only 8 dollars for a plasic globe and for my entire order shipping is only $10. I was really expecting some high shipping costs with a new globe.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 06:52:01 pm »

Got my parts today. They really make my machine look nice. I also found out that the adjustment of that rod in the center is kind of a pain to get right. I would either get it too high or too low but I finally have it working. Is a little hard to screw down because of corrosion on the lock threads but it does go on and lock it all down. After I clean it all up and install all the new parts I will put up a picture or two.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 07:26:06 pm »

Put the parts in. Only problem is the lid on the machine with the new globe is too snug. I need to work on it a little but to make the edges a little thinner. Got it close now just need to file just a little more down.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 01:08:08 pm »

Got the lid fitting now. I also have the 25 cent stickers on both machines.  They look pretty good. I'm thinking of having my dad help me build a stand out of wood. Going to turn something on the lathe and make a nice wooden stand. I made a table out of oak in high school so it should be pretty much the same kind of thing. I'm thinking it would be cool to make a coke bottle in the middle of the stand. Not that hard of a shape and it would look pretty neat I think.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 03:18:49 pm »

Well done...

Nice to see a project through to the finish... I get a lot of satisfaction out of candy machines too...

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »

Well done...

Nice to see a project through to the finish... I get a lot of satisfaction out of candy machines too...

It is pretty good to see the machine and know you made it look better. I think the stand will look pretty neat once I get it built. I almost forgot but I checked to see if the guy had anything else and it sounds like he had been selling this stuff off for a while now and only has a few more of the candy machines like mine left.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 02:45:26 pm »

I got it filled up today and sitting on my desk. Well it is as full as I could afford to fill it. But I honestly don't see my self eating 12-14 pounds of m&ms so having it only 1/3 full is fine with me. Also in the picture you can see the new 25 cent decal I put in the globe. The one with the new globe is at home and looks almost identical except I put the 25 cent sticker higher up than this machine. Not that big of a deal but it does kind of bother me (kind of like the upside down pepsi logo that was on my machine  biggrin )

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 03:22:56 pm »

Looks great!! I found with MM's not to fill it much at all. They go stale and get broken around the dispense gears. Had to dump it out and clean every once and awhile.
Creighton
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: