SMC Discussion Areas
May 05, 2024, 11:23:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glasco GBV 50 Coin Mech Help  (Read 7894 times)
Mgray129

« on: December 14, 2011, 09:41:42 pm »

I am currently restoring a Glasco GBV 50 Slider and i believe it has the Frankenstein coin mechanism on it, its the high rise style with the chrome top.  My question is that it will only accept dimes and not two nickels.  Does this mean that something is wrong with the rejector or is it another problem.  Everything seems to be intact i dont see anything obviously broken and i have also have run it through the dishwasher to clean it up.  It takes dimes perfectly but will never accept nickels.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:55:35 pm »

If you have the mech I think you do, you would need a dime rejector and a nickel rejector among other things. The rejector you have should have the denomination engraved on the front - 5c or 10c.
Can you post a pic of it?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:38:01 am »

If the 'mech is setup for nickels and dimes, it should have two coin-slots.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 07:36:40 am »

My GBV-50 only has one coin slot entering the coin mech. but it will accept two nickles or one dime.  If you open up the coin box and look just below the coin rejector you should see the slots where the coins end up. If there are two slots side by side then it should take dimes or nickles. In that case I would say it may have the wrong rejector in it or just may need adjusting.

Greg
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:48:18 pm »

If that's the case, then you may need the clean the slug rejector, I assume it has one, which if it does , it should have one coin entry slot at the top & two parallel exit slots one above each coin-discs.  it may just need cleaning, you can run it through the dishwasher in the top rack with the bent-coin flap propped open with a pencil & then allow it to dry before trying it again in the 'mech housing.   if you don't have a dishwasher, then a trip in the sink with hot water & dawn dish detergent, lightly scrub it with a brush & rinse it thoroughly, then air dry.

DON'T use wd40 or any other spray lubricant on the slug rejector, it will only gum it up, if the little counter weights seem sticky, then just the tiniest drop of a light machine oil (like 3-in-one, or a sewing machine oil)
 on the pivot points only, I use a tooth pick to put a small drop onto the posts)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:27:49 pm »

Cola62 has a Glasco mech, which uses the same model rejector as most other SD machines and can handle both nickels and dimes (See top pic below)

Mgray129 (the topic starter) has the Ideal mech, which uses individual rejectors for each denomination (See bottom pic below)

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Mgray129

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:53:49 pm »

Yes my mechanism looks exactly like the second picture posted so i guess its the Ideal mechanism on a Glasco slider.  The problem i have found is that the rejector side for the nickels has a little bent piece that is supposed to kick the nickel over to the left and fall into the coin disc.  It will work every now and then but most of the time it just falls out of the side.  Thanks for all the help and responses i have tried posting pictures but it is unable to load them but it is definitely the ideal mechanism i have.
Mgray129

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 10:08:19 pm »

Here are my coin mech pics.  The second picture shows that small bent metal piece that is causing the problem i think.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 11:04:57 pm »

I drew on your picture the coin path that a nickel takes...You have a very uncommon rejector, but it appears complete. Not sure if it is for US coins and that may be the root of your issue.
After a nickel is inserted, it is tested for magnetic properties...after passing under the magnet, it is tested for resiliency (bounce test) and then size.
Make sure the coin path (including magnets) are clean of debris. Also verify that the two anvil screws (circled) are screwed tight and that the anvil is clean of debris as well.
The Size Lever must move freely - powdered graghite may help, but like johnnie said - NO petroleum based products should be used on rejectors. You could remove the lever and most people wouldn't know - it is hidden by the cover plate (which you may or may not be missing) [last pic].
One final note - everything should be level for the rejector to work properly.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:08:24 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: