SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 04:01:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Machine is tripping circuit  (Read 5383 times)
« on: December 16, 2002, 07:18:51 pm »

I hope someone can help me.  I have a Cavalier CS-80 machine.  I just moved and now when I plug the machine in here at the new house, it trips the breaker.  I never had this problem at the old house.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 09:28:31 pm »

The question I'd ask is what else is sharing the line with the machine? if it's on a 15 amp breaker/circut and it's sharing the line with another load such as a refrigerator, dehumidifier, or other high-amp device ( or it's on a circut/plug that's also being used by general lighting devices) so start your investigation with this in mind, is it on a 15 or a 20 amp circut breaker? what else turns off when it pops the breaker? with a heavy-duty extension cord will it run OK on another plug?

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 05:22:04 pm »

I probably should have been more specific in my first post.  I have the machine in my garage.  When I plug it in, it trips a GFI switch which is inside of my house.  I'm not too familiar with electricity, but to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing major running on the same line.  Thanks in advance for your help.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 07:25:00 pm »

My first impulse would be to check that power cord. They often get damaged in moving.

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 07:26:31 pm »

No Problem, my wife works for the township electrical inspectors and they inform me that it's not recomended to run a 'fridge on a gfi circut, the start current will cause the gfi to trip ( and really, a soda machine is just a big refrigerator) in fact in its against local electrical code here. was the other location gfi'd?

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 08:21:02 pm »

As Johnie stated, you'll always have problems w/ GFI's when a load like a refrigerator/soda machine is plugged into this type of receptacle.

Since the actual GFI is somewhere else, it'll be difficult to rewire the outlet under the GFI protection! Time to locate another outlet to power the machine

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 02:56:19 pm »

Yes, at the other house the machine was plugged directly into a gfi outlet and I never had a problem....Weird!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 08:32:39 pm »

I'm not sure if this may be the case... But, there have been cases where the GFI functions but has lost the ability to act as a "Ground Fault Interupter". I worked for an electrical contractor for ten years and have seen this on several occassions. How and why this happens, I have no answer... We would just replace the faulty GFI.

If this was the case at your old home and now the new home has a properly functioning GFI, you'll experience the GFI tripping with the machine plugged in at this point in the curcuit.

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: