SMC Discussion Areas
May 31, 2024, 09:01:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I've got my Glasco 50 slider up and going...sort of.  (Read 4120 times)
00Dawg
« on: September 24, 2015, 02:39:06 pm »

Had been running it intermittently just to make sure nothing froze up, and finally reached a point where I thought I was ready for prime time.
Within 24 hours, I had about a 8x18 patch of ice on one side....not a huge surprise, as it can't be airtight after 55 years.  Then it melted away and came back about every day or so.  The first couple of times, the liquid properly drained out into a waiting pan.  The last few, no moisture made it down the tube.
Finally today after about a week of continuous running something underneath began making a new noise (I suspect the fan), and the compressor was burning hot to the touch.  Also noticeably, the Cokes weren't as cold anymore.
So, I've shut it back off and opened the lid and door up to let things dry out (there were signs of ancient mold when I removed the rack).

So, my first questions is:
1.  What's the defrost schedule/trigger on these things?
2.  Is there an acceptable level of "heat" for the compressor?  It's indoors, with plenty of space for ventilation, and I haven't noticed it this hot before.

Any guidance/info is wanted and welcome.
Windows

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:53:03 pm »

Is the new noise the condenser fan motor if the blade loosens or motor dies  up you won't get adequate condensing . This will cause your compressor to run hot. There is no defrost it has no clock or timer . If it runs hot and doesn't pull down and your suction line isn't frosting up your probably short of gas
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:53:53 am »

Is it full of product? Water bottles will work fine for testing.
Creighton
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:29:41 am »

I had about a 8x18 patch of ice on one side....not a huge surprise, as it can't be airtight after 55 years. 

In reality, this is the first sign of a low charge in a slider......ice only on the top front of the inner liner where the expansion first starts.

Glen
00Dawg
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 08:16:02 am »

Is it full of product? Water bottles will work fine for testing.
No, in fact it was almost empty.

From the charge perspective, I guess my immediate question is if I'll need R12 Freon since the system is original?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:49:59 am »

You may also have moisture in the line, which turns into ice which blocks the line.

Take it to a fully equipped a/c shop that can get R-12, and have the whole system re-charged.

Glen
00Dawg
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »

As a small update, the fan motor has indeed gone bad, so that's on my repair list while I have time during the holidays. 
Judging by the spacing on the screws, this looks like it will work for a replacement:
http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/index.php?crn=338&rn=610&action=show_detail

Before ordering, I wanted to see if anyone else happens to have installed one in a Glasco slider.  Any vets that can confirm/deny it fits?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 01:47:20 pm »

As a small update, the fan motor has indeed gone bad, so that's on my repair list while I have time during the holidays. 
Judging by the spacing on the screws, this looks like it will work for a replacement:
http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/index.php?crn=338&rn=610&action=show_detail

Before ordering, I wanted to see if anyone else happens to have installed one in a Glasco slider.  Any vets that can confirm/deny it fits?

Yep that is the replacement.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 05:57:42 pm »

You just need the fan.  It will mount to the bracket of the old one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: