SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 07:09:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vmc 33 rot repairs  (Read 2911 times)
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« on: February 07, 2004, 02:52:48 am »

I've got a friend I work with who restores coke machines (I do all the electrical work) and he has this old VMC 33 that works beautifully (what can I say, I did the electrical ':cool:' ) but has alot of rot along the bottom of the door louver.  I'm talking, brittle-fall-apart-in-your-hand rot.  The rest of the machine is, strangely enough, very solid mith very minor surface rust.  Is there a way to repair this (it does include a good portion of the louver itself) or is the only option to replace the entire door?  I'm afraid I think I know the answer already but just looking for advice.  I'd like to buy it from him, but not at $675 if I have to replace the door too.  Any thoughts on this?

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 07:51:38 pm »

Eric,

I'd say that your best bet is to replace the door. Lourves, especially on the 27/33 models are nearly impossible to get straight let along repair/replace...

I don't know what a replacement door would cost but that would need to be considered for this purchase which seems to be at a reasonable price...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 12:44:40 pm »

Hey Eric, hope I can help. This is not a common place for rust to form, but their is a problem with louvers mounted on the lower front door.  Didn't the manufacturer realize that when a kid drops in his coin, and it sticks, he has to kick the machine a few times to get it to work, or reject his money?
      My first machine was a 33, badly kicked in. Sold it that way. Recently while parting out a 33 with nice louvers, I cut the bottom 12 inches off the door, knowing someone could use it. If you have someone to weld it on for you, I'd take $50.00.                                                Glen

Glen
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 05:11:21 pm »

Glen,
  Can you provide some pics of the cut-out?  I'd like to make sure it'll fit where I need to put it.
Thanks!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: