SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 11:19:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with the Heat  (Read 3536 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: July 08, 2012, 09:36:06 am »

I have a Cavalier 72 in my garage which I have had for about 1 year now.  It is not restored, but has been running and cooling with no problems.  In fact the setting could be adjusted colder, but it works where it is at.  That is until the temperatures outside went over 100 degrees.  Even with that being the case for about the past 2 weeks I am only noticing now it is struggling to keep the soda cool and the compressor seems to be running all the time.  I understand this might be normal with this type heat, but I am worried with it running all the time that it might cause some damage to the refrigeration unit.  I am assuming the only real thing I could do is unplug it until this heat wave passes, but wanted any advice anyone has since it seems to be hot all over the country. 
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:53:29 am »

I live in AZ and have had a machine running in the garage every summer. It should cycle normal no matter what the temp outside. These machines were meant to operate in all extremes.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
ss540
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 08:26:50 am »

Check the condenser coil and see if it is dirty and is blocking proper air flow.

Down in Texas
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:58 pm »

Collecture - Thanks, you make a good point.  I will just be patient.

ss540 - Thanks, I did check the condenser coil and it looks fine, but I blew it all out with my air compressor anyway.
MrMark

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »

It would be good to know what the ambient temperature in the garage is getting up to. I would be concerned if the garage is approaching 100 degrees or so. My cooler is outside on a covered back porch, in Texas, where it's been playing around at between 95 and 100 degrees already this year. The box cycles.

I might forewarn you, my B-I-L had a freezer running in his un-vented garage several years ago. In the middle of the night, after placing sealed closed, filled cans of gasoline in the garage earlier that evening, the garage went kawooompf as it burst into flames.

Moral of the story is, don't run refrigerators or freezers, or soda coolers in a garage that get's so hot as to starve the cooler from getting fresh ambient air.

Now, if your box is running in a higher than expected ambient, then the head pressure goes up. When the head goes up, and if you have the original or near original compressor deck, they tend to rust out on the hot gas line as it leaves the compressor. They will get minisicule pinholes that will leak refrigerant, particularly R-12 which has a very small molecular size.
Check for signs of oil discoleration on the smaller hot gas line as it leaves the compressor, or anywhere in the high side of the refrigeration system.
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:40:01 pm »

MrMark,

Thanks for the advice.  You make some good points.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: