SMC Discussion Areas
May 25, 2024, 06:12:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Stoner Theatres 2 Go  (Read 18739 times)
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:28 am »

Nice machine MaineT !   Your version is the one without the hood. There was another one like yours on eBay a few months ago and i think it was up in Portland Maine, it was painted a drab green. I doubt it sold, it was up for weeks at $5000, wayyyyyyyyyy too high.  Don't feel bad for what you paid.  As many folks on this board will tell you, rarity does not always equal value.  There are many one-of-a-kind machines out there that are rare but the overall market for old vending machines is thin and it takes a lot of work to go find, buy, transport, and ship these items to a willing buyer so the price to pay by definition is almost always well under $1,500.   Then, add in the cost and effort to amke these items look good and work.

Interest is growing through shows like American Restoration and American Pickers,  but this hobby is not yet near other hobbies like antique cars, artwork, baseball memorbilia, etc.  in terms of buying power and mass appeal.   Consider this time period as a buying opportunity with longterm potential as the teens and 20's somethings that watch these shows grow up and eventually buy homes and increase the interest levels and demand.   
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 07:49:34 pm »

Jbrumett- I just got the mechanism working like a charm, it was frozen and just needed a cleaning and some oil. It is in shocking good original condition and I'm one of those "its only original once" people. I was going to save the paint, get it working, and maybe have the chrome and nickle redone if they do not clean up. The pulls are either celluloid or Bakelite and need attention too, and just may replace them.  I love the one Curtis just did and talk about quality, WOW, and if mine was in any worse shape I would have it torn down already and off to the sandblasters already.

Roadman- The guy that saved this one said there were 3 there and he took the best one. That ebay machine was probably 1 of the other 2 that he didn't get, lets face it, Portland isn't much of a city and there wasn't a lot of theaters around!!! Ya, I would say $5000 is a little much.  I met the guy to look at it and the longer I looked the lower he dropped the price. I was measuring my wrangler to see if it was going to fit and he had himself down from $800 at the start to him telling me his rock bottom price was $450. My negotiation technique.. I asked him how much and he kept talking and talking until he was telling me his rock bottom price. I just let him go...  I almost said ok at $600 but he just kept talking.....  And just if you are wondering, if you cram the front seats forward and lean it on the tailgate of a 4 door wrangler it does fit.

Tim
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:00 pm »

Tim-

Here you go. I tried to give you some close ups so you could tell.

Did you ever find the numbers I messaged you about? I'm wondering if this is a serial number system.

Tim
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »

I did find the number but it is difficult to read.  Just looked at it again and it appears to be 4017.  Looks like it was hand tapped in between the pulls.

The pulls on yours looks just like mine.. On mine it looks like the pulls were originally chromed but are now a bit rusty and there was a button of bakelite or something similar on the ends of the pulls.  looks like it was either brown or red.

The finish on your machine looks great and I would keep it that way.  If I restore mine I would like to attempt to duplicate the original finish.  The woodgrain paint process that Curtis used looks outstanding but I am an original finish guy if giving the choice.  Thanks for posting the pictures!

drinking Tim drinking
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 10:16:06 pm »

Wow that is nice and welcome to the board!!
Creighton
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 11:06:11 am »

Thanks for sharing the photos, MaineT! Just so everyone knows what a perfectionist Curtis is, he called me the day after you posted your photos and commented that there are intructions just above the coin return area that aren't on my machine, they were missing from the graphics that Curtis had pieced together from several early grade Stoner Theatres.  Curtis is now using that photo to have those instructions recreated to add to my machine. 
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 08:02:29 am »

I've had a couple questions PM'd to me on the Statue of Liberty design at the bottom of the Red Stoner Theatre.  The plate is a polished mirrored aluminum (same as the Candy lettering on the side of the machine) and the design elements were cut into the aluminum at a CNC shop.  According to Curtis, it took 4 hours for the CNC machine to cut the design in.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: