SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 02:13:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robotron:2084  (Read 17980 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« on: August 18, 2007, 10:13:01 pm »

I just passed one up today, and I am still not sure it was the right decision.  darn

Yesterday, I saw an ad on craigslist for old school arcade games as the title. It was at the top of the list, so I know it was recently posted. The ad was for Robotron and Asteroids and all it said was Best offer and a phone. about 15 miles from my home.. I called immediately and got the answering machine. I leave a msg, and am anxiously awaiting a phone call. Finally, I'm on my way home, and my phone rings... its my machines calling... I really want Robotron. So the guy says he's had them for about 10 years and he bough from a dealer.. Everything works great, hasn't touched in awhile, and needs the space. I asked what price he had in mind, and he says $250.. I said Robotron is SOLD! I'll take it. He said the same price for Asteroids, so I made some phone calls, and found someone to take the Asteroids as well. He said he'll clean them up and have them ready for me. We make arrangements to pickup on Sat. I called him this morning for directions, and he says the monitor on Robotron stopped working, and fades in and out. I start to whine a bit, but decided to continue as planned and hopefully get an even better price. I got to the house, and these are in gorgeous condition... nicest I think I've ever seen. I start looking at Robo, and start wiggling some wires, and the monitor starts to show life. The game took forever to work, but after about 5 min, a test screen pops up and says Rom error. We rebooted the machine a few times, and no luck. The guy was only willing to knock $50 off it. I walked away without the machine. I was kinda hoping to have him flag me down before I drove off, but it didn't happen.

Sorry for the ramble..  down

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 08:29:32 am »

Give him a day to sit on it and call him back tomorrow with a $100 offer... And remind him he won't sell a non working machine to someone who doesn't know how to work on them...

You might still get em?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:22:29 am »

I thought about doing that. HE and his buddy were there, and they mentioned something to each other about knowing someone that may be able to fix the board. I still may give it a shot.. I really want Robotron biggrin

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
glassbottlesrule
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:04:15 pm »

200 bucks is a good price for a clean Robotron.  Those early Williams games are famous for eating up the 4116 rams.  It's usually because the power supply gets old and doesn't output nice clean voltage anymore.  Replacing the PS with a switcher and replacing the rams usually does the trick.  Another williams problem is the board interconnect get flaky, that will give rom errors also.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:35 pm »

Are the 4116 ram chips readily available? The lcd on the board was giving a few codes, but don't quite remember what they were right now..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:25:56 am »

Hi Ken
  Give me a shout about the Robotron, I have a buddy up in north Jersey who works wonders with the older boardsets.

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:01:05 pm »

Thanks Tom.. I'll give you a shout midweek. I think I'm going to give this guy a call and see if he still has it...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:45:39 pm »

Well, this has been eating away at me.... I sent the guy an email, and he still has the machine. He said someone was supposed to show up 2x already and hasn't. I think I am going to have to pick up the game this weekend at some point. My wife isn't thrilled, but are they ever?? biggrin

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 07:40:44 am »

Well, its home. I'll get some pics soon. I spent a few min on it last night, and I think I have a PS issue. i also think someone has tried to fix this thing since last time I was there. I didn't plug it in when I picked it up, but I looked quickly to see if it was still complete. I noticed on the power supply board that one of the molex connectors burnt up, so someone did a Mickey Mouse solder job on a few pins.. I let that fly, but I am not currently getting any +5v to the video/cpu board. The wire with no voltage was pulled out of the harness like someone was following it. When I was there last time, the game powered up and had errors. Now it powers up and I get sound when I hit the test button on the sound board, but nothing from the cpu. I'll have more time later today to get deeper in too it.

I also pulled the PS board, CPU board and RAM board looking for bad solder joints, and I found 2.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 03:52:19 pm »

Looks like its definitely a bad power supply to start with. Unfortunately, I don't have a donor to put in, so I have to wait till I get one... Anyone have a Williams Power supply? I don't need the board, but do need the transformer...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: