SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 10:41:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rapidly running out of room in the malt shop  (Read 6334 times)
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« on: June 04, 2012, 10:01:41 am »

On Saturday, I picked up this 100% working 1958 Williams Short-Stop.  It's already in the malt shop and we played it all weekend.  What a fum machine.  Does anyone know anything about them?  I do not.  I am planning on a full restoration but am a little concerned because I have never worked on one before.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:56:39 pm »

Sorry........all I know is that I can agree with you.   That game is fun as hell, think I blew the better part of my childhood allowance playing that thing at Canobie Lake Park in NH.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:59:34 pm by Jacko1070 » Logged
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »

Loads of space... I can still see wall..

Would love a game like that. One day I'm going to get myself a container and fill it up.
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:43:17 pm »

Another great pick for BC!!!  You're going to need an addition added to your basement.  Get the backhoe...

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:08:01 pm »

I have one and am currently on the hunt for a Williams fifties or sixties baseball machine.  I'd leave it the way it is. 

What do you want to know about these?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:11:43 pm by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:09 pm »

BC,

Great looking machine.   Love the graphics on the side.  I have a Williams Deluxe Pinch Hitter that is very similar.  I noticed that your backglass looks like it is showing some paint loss.  Mine was too so I picked up a replacement backglass a couple years ago.  If you decide to restore it, the same company has your model as well,

Here is the link and a pic of the one I got from them for my machine still in hte plastic wrap.   Its plexiglass rather than real glass, but the graphic looks identical

ttp://shayarcadegroup.com/index.html

Also noticed that the bat area on yours shows almost no wear.  There should be two bumpers underneath the board where the bat goes through.  Can you possibly show a pic of this.  Been talking with Larry about those bumpers.  Lastly, do you mind sharing what you had to give for it?  Really a nice looking machine - I'm sure you will love it.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:45:50 am »

The plastic back glasses hold up better than regular glass.  This was explained to me years ago by someone?, they said that the expansion and contraction rate of the glass and the silk screening ink or paint are at two different temps.  So the paint flakes off. 

I can see this in a comparison of United bowlers and shuffles.  The fifty models used glass and peel, where the sixty models used a plexi backglass and they do not peel.  I believe this was done more to save on cost rather than having any thought of avoiding peeling fifty years later, but anyway, I never saw a plexi glass peel.

O.K. now just curious if the glass backglasses used paint and the plastic glasses used silk screened ink, maybe that's the difference.  Not sure if the same materials were used.  Either way, plexi glasses, of yesteryear, were superior.

O.K. back to the original thread.  Cool baseball machine!!

A lot of stuff.
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:48:47 am »

Great game.  I have been looking for one for a while.  I also spent lots of money in those back in the early 70's.

Greg
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:26:18 am »

I ordered the re pop BG from Shays the day I picked it up.  They had one in stock so I got lucky.  I will take pictures under the bat mechanism.  I discovered last night while closely inspecting the machine that the fast pitch solenoid was disconnected and looked like it burned because the coils are black.  Therefor, I do not have the fast pitch option.  I will try to buy and install a new coil for it and see if I can get the fast pitch to work.  Has anyone replaced the fast pitch solenoid on on of these?  Any help as to where I can buy one would be appreciated.  It has a number on it so I can cross reference.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:17:10 am »

I usually buy coils from either the Pinball Resource or Marco Spec.

http://www.pbresource.com/

http://www.marcospec.com/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:26:02 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: