SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 11:26:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basement Malt Shops. Let's see them,  (Read 14497 times)
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« on: December 15, 2011, 01:32:34 pm »

I would like to see some others so I can "borrow" some  ideas.  Fell free to take any ideas from these.   I still use it almost every day.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:01:34 pm »

IDEAS??? for what .. you have one of the coolest basement Diners I've seen... very cool, I wish my room was half that cool... mine is more of just a throw it on the wall to get it out of the way room...

I'd love to go the 50's theme on it...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

I would love the space to theme.. I'm like you John. Everey inch counts..
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:20:37 pm »

That is a great set-up.  I hope to get my basement looking like that someday.  Just need to find the time and bucks--college tuition is getting in the way.

I have a Victor C-45 for the bar and I already have the vintage soda stools to go with it.  Cold drinks will be served from the Vendo 81-D at parties and from the Cavalier USS-64 on a daily basis.  I will also have a 50's era wood phone booth with a vintage AE Phone.  Got the Seeburg Model 161 Juke to crank the tunes and a few signs to hang on the wall.  Candy will be from the Stoner Jr with Gum Wheel and Stoner Theater.  Games will be played on a 30's/40's era shuffleboard table.  You will also be able to buy a pack of candy smokes from my National 7 pull cigarette machine.  I have a condom machine and tampon/minipad machines for the bathroom!  You will even be able to weigh yourself and get your fortune on my American Mfg. penny scale!

And the best part is that the War Department is in agreement! happydrinkers

Now if I could only find the time and money!  darn It all looks perfect in my mind! tounge

drinking Tim drinking
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:52:30 pm »

It took me 10 years, marriage counseling and determination to do this but the rewards are amazing.  To have a group of 9 year old's doing the jitterbug from "At the Hop" from my Seeburg 100c is priceless.

The 50s were a special time for this country.  I wish I would have grown up in the 50s and not the 70s.  Can you imagine a 1970s themed game room?  A disco ball, pet rocks, mood rings, Donna Summer on a Seeburg Disco 160?Huh??

Sorry but I just got sick for a moment.

Here's a few more one with my Midget Alley Bowler

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »

BC,
I too was part of the 70's, the generation between LSD and REM, and my friends can't understand why I feel more at home  in a game room that will look like a malt shop than a setup reminiscent of Studio 54.
Yet, Man Caves a few weeks back did a Disco lounge for a guy, then the following  week or two later did a 50's malt shop.

Like Tim i have most of the  layout and  final product in my head,  but have enough of the fin stuff to get mine started.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:10:55 pm »

Kilroy,

My advise is to just get started.  It took me months to plan and 2 years to build.  People are so enamoured with the old coin op stuff that they fail to see my terribly carpentry.  The stainless steel quilted pattern walls really pops all the chrome.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:17:47 pm »

That is truly an amazing room. That room needs to be in a magazine! Another 70's -80's guy here. My basement is full of arcade games, soda machine and soon to be a juke... No theme though, just a lot of stuff..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:25:48 am »

Sooo cool. I can only dream of a room like that. Maybe someday, down the road. At this point, I have just one Coke machine in my kitchen.

Vendo 81A
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:32:25 am »

Ideas?   The room look fairly perfect already.  THANK You for the ideas.  I'm in the process and finishing my basement and I thank you for giving me something to strive for.   Beautiful room BC!!
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 03:56:13 pm »

Great looking room.  Love the Frostie Rootbeer sign!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 05:01:09 pm »

Here's a few from a family friend who has the whole first floor of his house done...the only room not done is the bedroom!

Swachtelncc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 07:03:59 pm »

Cool basement, nice job
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »

Hey Katz,

I always wondered if the life size malt shop mannequin freaked people out.  My wife will not let me put one because she thinks it would look "eerie"

I actually like them.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »

very cool!

I too am a product of the seventies and early eighties.
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 11:19:33 am »

I think there is a pattern here.  Many of us that grew up in the 70s and 80s think the stuff our parants grew up with was way cooler.  As much as I liked putting a quarter into Space Invaders in 1979, I think it is a lot more fun to put a dime into a 1950s style bowling machine.

To hear the mechanical scoring wheels  click back to 0 and the sounds of the 1950s arcade style after a dime is inserted, seems a lot more interesting.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 07:37:13 am »

BC,
Spot on. Outstanding job on the malt shop!
Bunch of the late 70's early 80's stuff seems to show on CL all the time and for next to nothing if lucky.
I'm grabbing the items I remember.
Creighton

globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 10:33:32 pm »

I don't have a basement...  down

Very nice pictures!

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 11:59:14 am »

Been doing some cleaning in the basement this week and got a few items organized.  Also got a few signs up on the walls.  Missing from the pics are the Seeburg Model 161 Juke and the Victor C45 cooler/bar but you will see what direction I am headed.  Got to make room in another area for some of the fitness equipment that you see.  Malt shop is not yet open for business but we are a bit closer.  A few of the machines that you see are going up for sale and I will post that information under my other posting on the topic.

BTW--the tin Coke sign above the window is one that I found in the back room of my dad's drugstore right before we sold the place.  Glad I saved that one!

To the pictures and Happy New Year everyone! happydrinkers

drinking Tim drinking
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:33:08 pm by mznb1u » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 03:57:34 pm »

A few people have asked what machines and such where in the photos so I thought I would post:

Picture 1--40's or 50's vintage 14 foot shuffleboard table--I believe it is an American (no mfg. plate) because they were the manufacturer who made most of the tables with bumpers on the sides.  3 foot Coca Cola button circa 1954.  Coca Cola Sled sign--not sure of the year but marked AM90 in the corner.  Schwinn OCC Chopper.

Picture 2--Schwinn OCC Chopper. 5 wood Coke Cases on top of tool box including two from Wyandotte Coca Cola which was started by my wife's family.  The box in front of the tool box holds a tampon/mini-pad dispenser that will be installed in the bathroom next to the condom machine.  Left to right--Wood grain Stoner Theater (early version), Blue Stoner Theater (more recognized version), Hammertone Green Stoner 180 with Gum Wheel--for sale, Two-tone Brown and Bronze National 7 Pull Cigarette Machine--Candyette Candy Bar Vendor on top, Dark Grey Stoner Jr. with Gum Wheel--Coke poster from my Dad's drug store soda fountain on top, Coke display rack circa 60's?.

Picture 3--More of the same from atop the Bow Flex.

Picture 4--Left to right--Vendo 81D (most recent acquisition), Cavalier USS-8-64 circa 1976--my first machine and everyday user, American Mfg. Penny Scale--similar to one that was in my Dad's drugstore, Stoner 180 with gum wheel (later version)--for sale.  And a glimpse of my son's boxing workout station--a Christmas gift.

drinking Tim drinking
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:06 pm »

Tim,

Is the blue stoner an original factory theatre or a converted one?  It looks like the height of a junior?  Why is it so shorter than the Stoner Senior?

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
stburger
10 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 05:35:36 pm »

looking to buy a stoner candy machine. Any help would be appreciated
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »

The machine is definitely an original Theater but the blue paint was done by the previous owner.  I know there were a couple of different heights available for the bases on these machines.  Some had storage while others did not.  I have seen Senior's with the taller base that has a cabinet door and a shorter base that is open in the back and does not have a door on the front but the base was original to the machine.  My Junior is taller because it has the 120 base on it and that was taller than the typical Junior base.  I would suspect that the base on my Theater might have been swapped out by the vending company if the original had been damaged but I have seen others with the shorter base.  Curtis would probably be the best one to weigh in on this question. 

The aqua colored Theater on Curtis' Stoner Candy Machine Instructions and Parts Manual has the shorter base in the picture below.  My guess is that it could be ordered either way.

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 06:12:05 pm »

looking to buy a stoner candy machine. Any help would be appreciated

PM sent.  I have two Stoners for sale see this thread:

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,14249.0.html

drinking Tim drinking
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 10:26:24 am »

Thanks Tim,

I know that the Stoners changed the base heights.  I have a very short Junior that I think was shortened by the vendor not the factory but I may never know.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Poptop
5 Cent Member

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 09:42:02 pm »

Been a way and now I am checking in... found this cool/awesome and amaziing thread...so I had to jump in.  Thing is the photos are on the other computer..at home, but here is a link to the website I learned to build to show case my "toys."   

Enjoy... http://www.unclebillsgarage.com/uncle_bills_garage_018.htm

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: