SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 03:30:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just missed it!!!  (Read 10774 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 07:07:47 pm »

Note to self: Check Craigslist earlier each morning!

Note to self: Check C/L 3 times a day!

Glen
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:12:57 pm »

It's gone.   darn  Now, let's see how long it takes for the nice buyer to put it up on ebay to make a quick buck!!   darn    veryangry

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:50:46 pm »

Kilroy -
How did you set it up? IE7 says there are no RRS feeds detected when I go to CL.
There was another blurb about CL discontinuing email notifications due to circumstances beyond their control...Are you currently getting notices?

I've not tried it in IE 7 (using Firefox) but  what I've read up on says IE 7 allows for internet feeds.
On each page of Craigslist,  in the lower right there is an orange thingy,  it looks like  .)))  and "RSS"  next to it.  At least in firefox, if I click on the  RSS icon, I am prompted  to  add the bookmark.

The cool thing  with Craigslist is you can  create an RSS based on a search. I've  followed up a lead  for a vendo 63 that was listed under Games and toys. , so I've learned not to   only look  under collectibles, or General.

I'm sure if I thought about it, I could  create a url to search all CL's for Vendo 63. That would require too much thinking.  So for the sake of this  overblown and long   how to, let's assume we are only searching the local Craigslist.

1. Define your search.  Use the Search function  to look in " All for sale or wanted"   Select what you are searching for.  Coke Machine,  Coca Cola macine, Soda vending, etc.  Sadly, CL doesn't  allow  multiple keywords  like Ebay or amazon does, so Coca Cola Coke machine will return no matches.  More on a work around in chapter 2

2. Search.  This  will display the search results page.  This page with your  list all  items matching your  search

3. Scroll to the bottom of the page,  Look for the RSS feed button, and click it.  Again not having IR 7, i am winging it, however, my  close friend Google turned this up :
http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/5_Minute_Tips/General/How_to_Subscribe_to_RSS_with_IE7/
It is  helpful, especially the part where it explains that IE won't always detect an RSS feed, even when there is one, and tells you how to  make it work.

4.   Here I create as many searches as  I need/want, adding each one to the feed. So I can have multiple searches for Coke machine,  Pepsi machine, Coca Cola Vending, Old Coke, 7 Up, etc. 

5. I work on a computer all day,   but you can't always be sitting  on Craigsist refreshing.    So I found a nifty web site that allows  you to send the RSS feeds you created to  an email account, or Cell phone as text message.
http://www.sendmerss.com/

Registration is free, and allows you to enter multiple searches/rss feeds to be sent to an email account or as a text message to your cell phone.  The drawback is the rss feeds are checked and updated every hour.  Could be a heartbreaker, but it's free, and i have  unlimited text messages on my phone, so it's also a no cost option.  I imagine there are paid sites that constantly scan for updates and text you when your  RSS feed is updated.  Again, send updates to your pager or cell phone  is optional, if you have access to a computer all day, you can refresh your live feeds, and laugh at the Antique $5000  highly collectible  Vendo 63 (with wood grain, and missing bezels) Sorry, i found that one on CL today.

Hope this is some help to everyone. 

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:49 pm »

Thanks Kilroy!
I got it working - the built-in MS IE7 button gave me errors, but the RSS button at the bottom of the page worked.
I set it up for all cities where I know I have somebody to pickup something.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 09:25:20 pm »

Cool Beans,  I'm glad I could help.

And I apologize to Greg for hijacking this thread. But  maybe using RSS feeds will help someone here  score a $150 V81. It's easy,  it's built in  IE and Firefox, and best of all, it's free.

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 09:57:02 pm »

...maybe using RSS feeds will help someone here  score a $150 V81. It's easy,  it's built in  IE and Firefox, and best of all, it's free.

It is nice - I love it. It is built into MS Outlook too. Comes in just like email. All my keywords for different cities. Thanks again Kilroy!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 06:43:53 pm »

4.   Here I create as many searches as  I need/want, adding each one to the feed. So I can have multiple searches for Coke machine,  Pepsi machine, Coca Cola Vending, Old Coke, 7 Up, etc. 

Kilroy - how do you add multiple searches to a single feed?  I'm using firefox also but am a real newbie with RSS.  Each search is showing up on its own on my firefox toolbar.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »

Bryan,
Craigslist doesn't mention it ( well I haven't found it anywhere) but you can use the apostrophe (')  infront of the words for multiple searches

'Coke 'Cola 'machine  in the search  will return posts with the words Coke  or Cola or machine. The drawback is any post with one of those 3 words will show up. to narrow it down, I limit the search  to titles only.  The drawback to titles only is i miss a great deal/steal because of a poorly worded title.

OR also works - Coke OR Cola OR Pepsi - same as using an apostrophe  (')

Another  feature   the minus (-) excludes words 
 Coke  -plush 
'Coke 'Cola - Nascar 

i hope tthis is what your  were looking for,  I haven't been able to  get one feed that  comes back with a cleaned up list for Jukbox, Seeburg,, Vendo, Wurlitzer, Coke Vendo,pepsi, Faygo
But i'm working on it   laugh

BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 12:40:29 am »

Thanks Kilroy... I thought you were combining all searches into one feed...  Anyway, I took your ideas and hopefully added a little value... 

I was able to create a more specific search. Used your apostrophe trick with quoted strings. I think Craigslist must have a limit on the # characters in the search because it only seemed to work with 2 strings. I was able to make '"soda machine" '"cola machine" and '"pepsi machine" '"coke machine" searches work.  Then I added the RSS feed to My Yahoo page and set an email and text alert for any new additions.  Just need someone to post a new ad and we'll see how well the alerts work.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: