SMC Discussion Areas
May 05, 2024, 05:55:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7up 81 Sold  (Read 13074 times)
Lincoln22
10 Cent Member

« on: May 03, 2015, 08:51:48 am »

I attended an auction yesterday in Des Moines,  IA that sold a two-tone 7up vmc 81 for hammer price of $5500. It had a vendo bezel on it. Even after you add cost of a vmc bezel and 10% buyers premium that seems cheap for a true 7up 81. Neat auction!

Brian
Troy S
5 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:56:22 am »

Did you get a picture? Assume it was restored. Who was the auctioneer?
Lincoln22
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:02:44 am »

Yes it was restored.  No pictures of what it looked like unrestored.  It looked nice.  You can see it at Rich Penn auctions.

Brian
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:14:26 am »

I think it went cheap due to the two-tone restoration. 
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:04:42 am »

I think 2 tone looks great, and the all white is just too stark.  To each his own... That's a good price if nicely restored.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 11:18:45 am »

I believe it's this one: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/35586165_soda-pop-machine-7up-very-rare-vmc-81-prof-restored
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:20:30 am by tkaz » Logged

Ezra
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:20:34 am »

I hope the buyer checked the inside of the door for welds. Something doesn't sound right. 
Troy S
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »

Thanks for the link! It said at the bottom of the description is was restored by a member here. He could probably tell the story on it.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:04:37 pm »

Good point Troy!  Here's a few more photos: http://www.popmachineshop.com/recentrestorations/vmc7up81.html

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »

Someone paid $5500 for the value of it's restoration only..........he actually got the machine for free.

Not only does John do fantastic work, his documentation is awesome.  happydrinkers

I have been a fan of the all white version until now. Looking at the first picture in Johns album and comparing it to the last, just changed my view.

Glen
Troy S
5 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:52 pm »

He is a nice fella. Someone is very happy to have snared that machine! Which might mean someone is not so happy (the seller?) Glen is right. $5k for a really nice resto today.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 02:45:41 pm »

I'll be interested to hear John's thoughts on the machine.  It seems odd to me that a rare version of a professionally restored machine would end up in an auction.  Someone put enough into it that I would think it would be held onto or if it had to be sold, it would seem that you could easily get more money by selling it direct.  Its rare enough and in such nice condition that I would think a little word of mouth would find you a buyer.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Lincoln22
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 03:10:49 pm »

That was a nice restored 81, but this is why I like unrestored photos to assist in provenance. Either someone stole the machine at auction or someone was a hesitant buyer due to not knowing or having access to the machine's history. Apparently It's Been RESTORATION twice. Once not so good and then good by the member on this site. 

Brian
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 03:36:20 pm »

Had the auction house done a little more research, and mentioned John's name as well as that link to the restoration.........the price would have doubled!

Glen
Lincoln22
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 03:43:51 pm »

His name was in description and auctioneer emphasized rarity

Brian
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 04:03:57 pm »

Looks like someone got a really good deal. I do like the two tone on it.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 04:10:42 pm »

I think that's the thing about auctions. Some you win, some you lose.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 04:53:08 pm »

The auctioneers sometimes don't even know what they are selling !!!!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »

His name was in description and auctioneer emphasized rarity

Yes, that was pointed out, but it was Tom that led us to the restoration link.
        I think that, had internet bidders viewed the restoration also, there would have been much more interest.
        Auction day is too late to stress rarity, I'm sure the only 2 bidders were already aware of that.  biggrin
        Thanks for posting this auction.

Glen
TheGarbageHunter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »

That is one nice restored VMC 7up machine. 

Garbage Gold Hunter
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:06 pm »

Why can't I ever be at one of those auctions!
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 11:38:46 pm »

Trust me guys the auctioner Richard Penn knows what he is doing, he knows what a 7up 81 is, he has sold 4-5 RC 81s over his auction career the highest priced one sold for $22k

I have met the auctioner a few times and he has published many books on antiques in general, he is VERY well known in the antique auction business.

As for the Seller Earl Cheese he sold off a huge part of his amazing collection as he is getting up there in age and his health isn't the best.

This one slipped through the cracks and was a great deal, the lack of VMC bezel, two tone, and no documentation of it before it being restored at the auction in my opinion hurt its sales!

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Lincoln22
10 Cent Member

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 06:00:00 am »

Joey I agree. This auction drew nation-wide attention and was advertised very well in Chicago's Advertising show among other places. Internet bidding and telephone bidding was in place too. Some items were selling in the tens of thousands of dollars. Just my opinion,  but in today's world provenance is everything.  Keep the original vmc tag, take Unrestored pictures! 

Brian
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 08:43:10 am »

I'll be interested to hear John's thoughts on the machine.  It seems odd to me that a rare version of a professionally restored machine would end up in an auction.  Someone put enough into it that I would think it would be held onto or if it had to be sold, it would seem that you could easily get more money by selling it direct.  Its rare enough and in such nice condition that I would think a little word of mouth would find you a buyer.
Thanks for the kind words guys.. funny to see my name in the auction as the "Renown" John Nelson.. Funny blush
Here is what I know on the machine...
It was bought at an online auction by a guy in CA along with an 81D Coke about 3-4 years ago... he bought them site unseen for a Hefty Sum.. He thought he was buying two Fully restored Machines... but wanted me to go through them and make sure they where perfect... so I picked them up from the auction house rep at the Chicago Fall show that same year... some of you guys saw that 7up at my booth and drooled over it as it did look nice on the outside but as the pictures show during my restoration MANY shortcuts where taken...
SO I brought them to my shop and sent him very detailed pictures of all machines and he decided the 7up should be Green and white so agreed to a full restoration on that one... the Coke 81D although very nice, but again an outside restoration, had belt line rust issues and needed a full restoration as well.  

So as you can see by the photos I did restore the 7up top to bottom and it was an Authentic 7up machine, no patches , welds ,bondo or any of the tricks to hide such things.. she was original.  However it did not have the VMC bezel or the VMC tag and the owner was fine keeping the Vendo one on that machine... he also didn't want the Stainless steel banding as didn't want to alter the original machine at all so we went with the plastic molding, (which is not my favorite, but customer is always right).  The Previous "Restorer" had his name on the inside door and I was shocked to find all the shortcuts taken when I took it apart... I won't mention names publicly but very surprising as I've seen his work at the Chicago Show every year I've been going and now makes me think twice. but no worries as it was going to get done right in my shop.
So long story short, I did my full restoration on both machines and both where perfect. I boxed them both up and sent them to the owner in CA. He was in the process of moving and said they would sit in his garage till the house was done.  About a year or 2 later he asked if I knew anyone interested in buying the 7up.. I believe I even posted it here on the SMC and also on my website that was for sale, but of course at a premium, I think he wanted 10k for it.  Then about 8 months ago, he contacted me again and said he still had them still in the box and was trying to sell it as he had a lead on a VMC 81 Royal Crown.  another month went by and I contacted him about the Royal Crown to see if he got it or if he'd share the lead with me if he was not going to pursue.. and then he informed me that he got "Bad News" from the doctor and he was going to put everything he had in an auction... didn't know which one and that was the last I heard from him... Next thing I know I heard at the April Chicago show from someone that my name was included on an auction for a 7up 81.. and now this listing... so that's the story as I know it... The name listed on a previous post is not the seller I was dealing with, I believe he put these into an already set up auction.  Auctions are funny,, and I too am surprised at the low bid... I wish I was watching as I would have been bidding as this was the real deal!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:59:37 am by SIGNGUY » Logged

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 09:56:23 am »

I remember see the machine by your booth John. I was really shocked to see who's name was in in the inside as the restorer.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:34 am »

So it was delivered to the auction house and removed from the crate for the first time?  That would also have been a strong selling point! 

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:41 pm »

Yep,,
 he never even seen these machines, only the pictures I sent him... and just checked back through my files and that was Fall 2011 they where done.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 10:09:01 pm »

Interesting story John. Excellent job on the restoration. I too find auctions to be hit or miss.

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Westinghouse WB126-B6-D (daily driver)
Vendo 39
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:12 pm »

I think that even E-Bay would have brought double that selling price.

Glen
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: