SMC Discussion Areas
May 29, 2024, 06:13:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammertone  (Read 3763 times)
jgastonl

« on: September 15, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »

Hello all, im a newbie and this is my first machine.  The inside (refrigerated area) of my machine looks pretty good.  There is no rust, it is just dirty from spilled drinks from over the years.  Just wanting some opinions on whether I should coat with Hammertone or a clear coat to make the appearance of it better.

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:32:05 pm »

I use hammertone. It is very strong, looks great and is cheap. It really cleans up the appearance of the inside of the machine and requires very little prep and is a great rust preventative. I have been using it for a long time and it holds up very well
jgastonl

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

Thanks...I was just nervous as what to use.  Any tips (prep, painting, etc.)?  Greatly appreciated.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:11:45 pm »

Sure first off use rustoleum silver hammertone. You can get it from Home Depot, lowes, walmart and so on. Wipe the metal down with mineral spirts "paint thinner" then use a green scotch bright pad to scuff the metal and to get some of the white powder off of the metal then wipe it down again and spray the paint. It gives a really nice finish on the inside of a machine. Here are a few pictures of the insides of machines I have done in hammertone in the past.

Also the 7up machine in the pics all of the green is also hammertone its just the green color.
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »

Im confused. Is the "Hammertone" the same as the "Hammered" finish spay paint made bt Rustoleum? It's the one with the crinkle like finish?
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:11:00 pm »

Same thing.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:42:20 am »

One recommendation, make sure you get ALL of the "white stuff" off. It's oxidization of the galvanized coating. Paint of any kind won't properly adhere to it and it will end up flaking off sooner than later.

Brian
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:21:50 am »

I know a spray can is the way to go when painting, but I bought a quart of hammered paint for work and used a roller.  The surface was flat and it worked great.  It's weird to see it hammer up in front of you.  And when you overlap an area, it hammers all over again.

A lot of stuff.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:58:36 am »

I usually buy it by the quart and shoot it with my primer gun. Its actually really easy to shoot and looks great! I have found that spraying it through a gun it hammers much less than the spray bombs probably because of thinning it to shoot with the gun. Since it hammers less it looks a lot like powdercoating but is so much cheaper and is less brittle. I have never heard of rolling it on but since it hammers and flows really well it makes a lot of since.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:01:54 pm »

I put hammertone paint in my machine but the coat near the top was pretty thin and did not hammer very much. I think I needed more than one can but I got it covered up and it looks great. The can rack also hides the part thin part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: