SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 03:42:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whatever happened to your word being your bond !  (Read 18394 times)
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 11:03:24 pm »

We went from a new member just venting about losing a machine that was told it was his to dying old women selling 81s for $400!!!
Remember when collecting was fun and posts were about what we just found and we couldn't believe stuff was still out there...
Why post stuff that offends or might hurt someone's feelings... just don't post at all...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:11:26 pm by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 01:15:41 am »

Eric - I'm with you... Why are we beating each other up so much. We have lost very valuable members just because of this.
There was a time when members would do things for others and it would actually cost them money to do it. I have benefited from
this on lots of occasions.

We all love a bargain. Sometimes we even share the leads.

Lets get back to what we do best and that's welcoming everyone and looking out for each other.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:23 am »

We went from a new member just venting about losing a machine that was told it was his to dying old women selling 81s for $400!!!
Remember when collecting was fun and posts were about what we just found and we couldn't believe stuff was still out there...
Why post stuff that offends or might hurt someone's feelings... just don't post at all...

I was the one offended by his "venting".  When did this become a forum to vent when even your wife won't listen because you are wrong? How is a post bitching about a possible deal going south fun? So he is aloud to offend me but I'm not able to comment. I have to agree with with the offensive comments he made to start this post? And I can't defend myself when people personally attack me? Thanks.

Tim
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35:56 am »

Moderators, please remove..

lets all just agree to disagree I guess...

Peace love and soda machines! happydrinkers

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 09:11:09 am »

I stayed out of this one because it was off track by the time I read it.  But here goes  .   .   .   .  When I list stuff on CL, I try to take people in the order that they contact me and if somebody says they are coming with cash, I will nail them down to a time and hold the item until that time while still fielding offers in the event that the original deal falls through.

As far as buying, I learned a long time ago that people are not generally like me and if I want something I need to get there with the cash ASAP or it will likely be gone.  I have been lucky on several machines but I have also lost out on quite a few where I thought I had a deal in place.  Those are the breaks of this game we call collecting.  When it comes to dealing with SMC members, if I make a deal I consider it closed but again, that is just me and I can't expect everyone to operate the same way.

I just bought a truck (the one with the rust in the bed) for my son last week from the college-age son of a pretty good friend.  He posted it on his Facebook page and listed the price at $3,000 which was a very good deal.  As a matter of fact, I could probably throw in a bed-liner and flip it for $5,000 pretty easily but at the end of the day I am not going to find anything better for $5,000.  And I would never do that to a friend--it would be hard to explain to them that I profited from their pricing it lower than market.  When I agreed to buy the truck "upon an inspection and test drive", the kid asked me if I was sure I would buy it because he had someone offer him more if he would sell it out from under me.  The kid followed through when I told him I just needed to get the cash from the bank.  I got lucky and I know it but I also knew the kid and his dad to be people of good character.  In a normal FSBO deal where the parties did not know each other or have to worry about running into each other in the future, that truck would have been long gone.

I agree with Jeff that your word should be your bond in everything that you do; but, unless you really know the person there is no way to determine if they will follow through.  And like Tim said, my dad taught me a long time ago that "money talks and BS walks!"  And for that reason, I try not to get too upset when a deal falls through because I don't know the other person well enough to understand their circumstances or reason for selling.  I have bought plenty of items for good deals and while I would not generally pay more than asking, I have thrown in an extra $20 a time or two when the person agreed to hold an item for me and followed through.  I also do not generally offer less than asking when someone is selling me a machine at a good deal and it appears that they are in tough financial straights.  Again, that is just me and I have probably left some money on the table at times but I still got a good deal so I am not bothered by that.

Lastly, I do have to agree that lately there have been more threads that have gotten off track because of differences of opinions.  I come here to learn more about our hobby and get away from that kind of BS in my regular job so it is not fun to read those kinds of threads.  And that is probably why I do not generally jump into those frays when they occur.  We can all agree to disagree on any topic and still get along.

My two cents anyway!

drinking Tim drinking
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:49 am »

Bottom line is, yes it's an expected part of the hobby we chose, but no it's not something you'd expect from someone who you know is a collector and has to deal with the same BS.   I think once a deal is made and both parties agree on a fair price thats it, just to back out and take some more cash is just a dick move.  Your word is all you have and once people can't accept that anymore you're destined to be a very lonely collector
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 09:59:07 am »

I'm sure Jeff's wife, like most of the wives of members on the site, support their hobby or they wouldn't even be on here.. So I could see he was just joking...
I also see that he thought he had friends here (there are a lot of great folks here).. and wanted to vent... I have seen other post where something goes wrong,
paint job is crappy, getting something chromed goes wrong, something is shipped poorly, or isn't shipped at all, etc. and you tell your friends... wanting to get
their input... I don't see how it offended... but I guess some read it different...

I just don't see why posts need to go South... He's venting.. felt like he got a bad deal... Don't agree, think he deserved it, dont' care about the guy or
dont' want to get to know the member, dont' post... that's what I do... why offend someone you don't even know... You might be missing out on a
great friendship

And yes.. PEACE, LOVE AND SODAMACHINES! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
jnapp18
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »

So you get there any take advantage of that little old lady that didnt know what she has... What a guy. Sorry, No chemo this week grandma, you sold that old coke machine to JACK for $400 and he flipped it for $1500 the next day..  The $400 bought grampa's headstone though... Well, at least JACK made money. Ya, lecture me on honoring your deal to someone who's likely to no show on you.... Go ahead. I've emailed quite a few ads and told the person they were way too low. I've even done it on a machine I was looking at to buy.  You can be Walmart if you want, I'll pay a fair price. If they are asking a fair price, do you find yourself still offering less just to get the better deal?  It's one thing to get a deal and pay a fair price, its another to pay $400 for an 81...

I like how the people who are complaining that your word is you bond are the same people that would take advantage of another person so quickly. You don't have to pay top retail, but don't bitch when they sell a machine that you already pushed off the pickup date once.

L.O.L
MaineT....... First of all... I have never sold a coke item I have bought so stop making the flipping arguement.. Second of all, there are plenty of times i have offered more money than what somebody asked for.. My point was, sometimes people find great deals and based on the situation, there Is no need to offer them more money. I bought a vendo 81 for 400$, but the guy that sold it owned a couple of 6 figure cars, so no, I didn't give him 800 or whatever.. Stop making up crazy hypotheticals that have less to do about collecting and more to do about ethics.

Finally, the main point was the he was told the guy said the machines were all his , and if I read correctly, he paid for them too! The least the guy could have done was tell him he got another offer, but no, he sold it out from under him. I could see this happening if it was one machine and Jeff was no longer going to have any thing to buy from the guy, but he was buying 3 machines... Sigh...

We are all here for the same reason... We love this hobby, and we love sharing it with eachother. There is no need to get so worked up. Your our opinion is your own, and people need to respect that, so I am sorry if you feel attacked, but tossing around hypotheticals where my hypothetical purchase leads to the death of an old lady, well that's taking it too far.  Anyway that's all I have to say.
FASTURN402

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 06:03:34 pm »

Some people have forgotten the golden rule "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you".
I am not a rich man, but I'll be Damned if I let a couple hundred dollars come between me and my integrity, character, and reputation.
It may have cost me some money, but if I say I am going to do something I do it.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 06:43:10 pm »

Is this a dream......or are we still having this conversation?  Oo oh oops wow tounge

A lot of stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: