SMC Discussion Areas
May 21, 2024, 01:51:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whatever happened to your word being your bond !  (Read 18418 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:45 am »

I can see both sides, but I would say there is about a 50% show up rate when I post on Craig's list. That's after I talk to them and they just "have to have it"

When I'm buying something I've found out to RUN to a deal. If you don't want to pay retail, there is competition. If you want to be sure you get a "man of their word" call ricks restoration and swipe your card and pay $7000 retail. That's business, anything else is reality.

In reality, you owe them nothing but cash and they owe you nothing til the cash hits the hand. When someone won't take a deposit, that's a flag to get there ASAP!

Tim
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:28 am »

You could have sent him a deposit or paid him in full and even got a reciept.
But when you got there he could have simply given you your money back.
What can you do...sue him?  Some people let greed overpower their morals.
Even so, the least the guy could do was call you the minute he sold it.
You are out no money so be thankful you called before getting too far.
I will refrain from expressing my true opinion of this man's buisness ethics.

Glen
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:27 am »

I believe that after a deal is made, that's it, it's done.  If you think that an item is worth more, and there is a possibility of sellers remorse, don't do the deal.  What should've happened was the buyer should have told the person that this item is in a pending deal and if it doesn't go through, you can buy it then.

New Hampshire...huh...I'll have to look at the SMC map and be cautious on deals made from there. LOL.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:02:16 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 09:09:26 am »

Unless you have a location with a sign out front, it's no more business then a yard sale. Ask someone to hold something at a yard sale until you can come back with the cash in a couple of days..... See how that works out.

I don't see it as a moral issue, or a business issue, its a "deal" issue. If you were paying full value then someone couldn't offer more because you had the morals to pay what it was worth and there is no incentive to sell it to someone else.

Tim
aristocrat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 09:27:20 am »

whilst reading your opening post you referred to the deal as

"the price was good" and later "the price was great"...........

moondawg is correct about deposits, if the guy is going to sell to someone else for more,

then paying a deposit is unlikely to make a difference as he will just refund deposit to you

and nothing is 100% certain whatever you do................................................. BUT

if the price is good or the price is great to you

then its also likely to be good or great to others

so just need to collect at earliest opportunity and so reduce the time available for others

to help change the mind of the seller

i have had deals pulled by sellers many many times, it just happened again earlier today....

its frustrating, very frustrating however the level of frustration tends to be higher when the

deal is really good or the item is particularly rare or you have been waiting a longtime for that

particular part or machine.

of course you could leave immediately and have a x4 hour drive and he still sells x30 mins b4

you arrive.......but you will lose far less items that way and get more items that are "a great

deal" and by getting more of "the great deals" these will always far outweigh the ones that

still get away...

GP still frustrated after losing another deal this morning.........................................

Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

I don't see it as a moral issue, or a business issue, its a "deal" issue. If you were paying full value then someone couldn't offer more because you had the morals to pay what it was worth and there is no incentive to sell it to someone else.

Well im sorry MaineT but I strongly disagree with you " the morals to pay what it's worth " what does that even mean anyways ? So you're telling me that if you go buy a vendo 81 listed at $1750 and you feel it's probably worth $2500 retail, you will insist on giving the guy an extra $750 based on morals ? That's completely absurd,  what is it really worth anyways, it's worth what you are willing to pay and what he is willing to part with it for ! All I'm saying is that when you make a deal and a price is set and pick up arrangements have been made, the deal is and should be done, the machine is technicly sold pending pickup, as Larry stated, if you were not happy with the agreement and wanted to hold out for more money then don't make the deal in the first place ! And I would hardly compare buying from a dealer and colector to buying something from a yard sale ! As far as a deposite goes, he didn't not want one, I didn't see any point on insisting, lesson learned I guess !
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:08:24 am by Jeffmon » Logged
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:43 am »

whilst reading your opening post you referred to the deal as

"the price was good" and later "the price was y and get more items that are "a great

Yes the initial price of the vendo 44 was good, the final negotiated price for the package deal was great !

I should also state that none of the machines we had made a deal on were advertised or listed anywhere !
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 02:50:35 pm »

Well im sorry MaineT but I strongly disagree with you " the morals to pay what it's worth " what does that even mean anyways ? So you're telling me that if you go buy a vendo 81 listed at $1750 and you feel it's probably worth $2500 retail, you will insist on giving the guy an extra $750 based on morals ? That's completely absurd,  what is it really worth anyways, it's worth what you are willing to pay and what he is willing to part with it for ! All I'm saying is that when you make a deal and a price is set and pick up arrangements have been made, the deal is and should be done, the machine is technicly sold pending pickup, as Larry stated, if you were not happy with the agreement and wanted to hold out for more money then don't make the deal in the first place ! And I would hardly compare buying from a dealer and colector to buying something from a yard sale ! As far as a deposite goes, he didn't not want one, I didn't see any point on insisting, lesson learned I guess !

The preliminary agreement has been made, but the deal is far from done until the machines are loaded and the cash has changed hands. Some people say, cash talks, bull$h!t walks.

I've gotten to a bunch of machines and the pictures didn't tell the whole story. My offer was contingent on the machines being what they were represented to be. Are you saying I can't back out if that "great working machine" when I got didn't get cold, didn't have a coin mech, and had belt line rust? "But it still works, listen, you can hear the compressor" just needs a shot of freon!

If I'm buying a machine and I'm getting a fair deal, I'm busting a move to get there before they CAN change their mind, because I know it's not done and someone else from SMC can offer more plus a box of cigars! It happened!

If you pay what something is worth, then someone CAN'T offer more. Point blank. Lowball and get someone that is in a tight spot, you better get you wallet out quickly.(I'm not saying you lowballed, but people do looking for desperate or stupid people) Don't give them the chance to get a more beneficial offer. Unless cash is changing hands and your loading.... It means, I agree with the deal, but only until I get a better one, you no show, or back out.

And if you get there and it's a little old lady selling a machine for a fraction the value then shame on you for taking advantage of the elderly. Its ok, right? They agreed with the price, what's the problem! Fixed income, who cares, I flipped it for 4 times the money quick! Let her eat cat food, she doesn't really NEED those meds....

What was the business name of the dealer you were dealing with? Or was it not a dealer like you are suggesting?

Tim
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »

I recently had a customer get mad at me over a freezer I offered him first and he wanted me to hold for him in case his went down. When I offered it I told him I would let him pay some up front and make payments over 6 months. I explained that if he didn't get it soon I had other people interested and would sell it if he didn't make a move.

He himmed and hawed about it and I called him twice and informed him I had a buyer if he wasn't going to take it. He said he couldn't do it right now and would take the risk. A few day's later his freezer went down and he called me to install the one I had and I told him I sold it and he ripped me a new one for selling it. I told him that we had many conversations about it and that I repeatedly warned him his compressor was going bad. It was a 30 year old unit that had been retrofitted several times and the unit I had was 4 years old and ran when I removed it.

What would have cost him $2500 out the door will now cost around $7000 for all new equipment. Did I do anything wrong? Not in my opinion but I didn't like getting reamed for selling the equipment. If he told me yes I want it and we set a date for install he would have gotten it no matter if some one offered more or had the full amount up front.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 07:01:33 pm »

And if you get there and it's a little old lady selling a machine for a fraction the value then shame on you for taking advantage of the elderly. Its ok, right? They agreed with the price, what's the problem! Fixed income, who cares, I flipped it for 4 times the money quick! Let her eat cat food, she doesn't really NEED those meds....

What was the business name of the dealer you were dealing with? Or was it not a dealer like you are suggesting?

Making old ladies eat cat food ?, depriving them of there meds ? Oo Not sure if this is the same thread I started but I'm glad to see you feel that strongly about protecting the elderly, I am also a advocate for protecting the elderly lol, my grand parents would love you to peices lol However, I don't get how believing that a man's word is his bond and really all he has, turned into a discussion about me abusing the elderly lol, if I didn't know any better I would almost think this was personal, so before this turns into a childish, pointless, senseless mud slinging match, I will end my contribution to this thread by saying this, I do strongly believe in a man's word being his bond and without it he is nothing, I also believe that the man who I made the deal with, whether a actual "dealer" or someone that actively sells and restores multiple vending machines on ebay and craigslist and may or may not also sell from his numerous shops and storage facilities, wait that kinda sounds like a dealer, I actually never made it to New Hampshire to get a business card or verify if he was actually registered so sorry Tim I can't give you the name lol not that I would anyways unless the man defrauded me, regardless I do believe this man was in the wrong and even though the money was not in his hand and the machines on my truck, the deal was made and he should have told the other buyer that the machine was sold pending pickup as he had promissed me ! And yes I think he is a shady seller/dealer !

I was going to spare you all the cheesiness of quoting John D Rockefeller but I just can't help myself  tounge

" I believe in the sacredness of a promiss, that a man's word should be as good as his bond, that character, not wealth, power or position is of supreme worth "

Jeff !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: