SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:00:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok Shame on me.. I think I got Scammed  (Read 17767 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »

Ok, Let me first start by saying I am usually very cautious and able to sniff out scams but I think I may have been suckered into this one.. veryangry

I found a Coke Clock that I wanted to purchase from a guy in CA listed on an online classifieds site.. the guy responded and sent me additional photos and it looked pretty good for the price he was asking so was pretty stoked about it..

I proceeded to ask more questions and he was prompt in answering both my emails and phone calls for a few days..

Usually when I talk to someone, I think I can "feel them out" so to speak to make sure it's a legit deal or not.  He also had a few other items he said he got from an estate that he was selling too, so I picked up another item as well.. figured why not.

so after a few days of talking with him I decided I was secure in this transaction.. I sent the money and it was not a small amount $1000.00 ( I know.. shame on me)..

I sent him a Cashier checks to his PO Box and also tracked them.

He got the check and cashed them and they cleared on the 14th.. 

we talked and all was good.

He was going to package and ship both items via Greyhound, and we worked out the details.. then I waited..

waited and finally called again last Thursday.. Got ahold of him and asked if he shipped yet and had tracking info or a bus number etc.... he said oh you should have gottem them by now.. and at this point I was mad as he never even told me he shipped or when?

so I immediately asked for tracking info.. Never called back Thursday night, Friday or over the weekend.  I called 3 times each day
4 times Tuesday and 4 times today as well as emails. 

I've even called on a few other phone numbers but to no avail.

the items are still listed on this internet site.. of which I've notified and indicated this guy may be using their site as a place to host his scams..

I've also called the Police Dept in his home town asking if they where anything they could do, and they said to file a report locally with all info and they would transfer it out there.?

so I know shame on me for being too trusting.. but looking for any other ideas you guys might have on ways to get to this guy.

I'm kinda hoping he's laid up in the hospital from the last guy he screwed over and that is why he is not answering me, but I dont' want to be mean (yet)..

I'm filing a police report today or tomorrow, and will continue to try to reach him...

being that he still has the items listed, I wish I could contact him via phone with another number he doesn't recognize , just to see if he is truly avoiding me..

If anyone is up for that , please PM me and we'll see if we can call him and see if he answers? maybe a conference call?

Any ideas , thoughts, or ideas, please let me know either on the forum or pm me ... I'd appreciate it..

Oh, and I did already check with my bank and they said being it's already cashed they can't do anything , other than give me a copy of the cashed check which they did and of course to make things worse.. he cashed the check at a Liquour store...  glare

John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:44:30 pm »

Did the clock look like this one?
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »

That sucks John.  I know that you have been very helpful to me and others on the board regarding the value of signs etc.  I'm hoping for a happy outcome.  Keep us all posted wither way.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:15:41 pm »

I'm in CA, where abouts is he?

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 02:19:51 pm »

Yes,
 it was a Cleveland Neon Clock as well as a Price Brothers lightup Pause sign...

He is in Saratoga CA Near San Jose I believe as that is where the PO Box was and where the check was cashed.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:25:34 pm »

Yes,
 it was a Cleveland Neon Clock as well as a Price Brothers lightup Pause sign...

He is in Saratoga CA Near San Jose I believe as that is where the PO Box was and where the check was cashed.

This con was also listing ads in Michigan.  I talked to him once and said he lived in CA.

He required Western Union and needed payment within (4) hours.  It smelled a little funny so I passed.  If I would of know he had several ads up I would of posted a thread on it. 

I hope it get resolved in some fashion.

Jared
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:37:19 pm »

Wow, that sucks. You can kick and scream and I would, but the odds of them doing a whole lot are stacked against you.

Tim
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:03:22 pm »

I'd hold out a litttle and pray. Not often you get to speak to the scammer on the telephone.
If the line went dead I'd be more concerned. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Dave
aristocrat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »

situation looks bleak from how you have described it

however, i hope it does work out for you,

as we look for those finds there are more and more

out there looking to find scam in ever more devious

ways

watched a program the other day, where the scammers

had either infiltrated or set up a fraudulent card machine

manufacturing set up.

so there bits of IT kit are already in the machine before

it reaches the stores that have bought them to operate.

you put your card in as normal & scammers get all the info

downloaded remotely instantly.

simple!

best of luck

regards GP

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 04:17:13 pm »

Sorry to hear Good Luck!!!

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=417158&page=1

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines