SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:34:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Soda Machines Book  (Read 19932 times)
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »

The price guide would have to a living document to reflect the ever changing market

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:24 pm »

The price guide should at least be updated every 10 years, although it took quite a wild ride this last decade  biggrin

Glen
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 11:01:38 pm »

A comprehensive ID database like Jim has already built here is of great use. You can find what the machine is, research and ask questions.

A real price guide would need to encompass and list so many variables and take those into account to be anything of use. Location,condition,complete,cooling,restored... Lot of work and would never be 100% accurate even as a "ballpark number".

As mentioned before it is a good deal the re-release still has 1999 prices.

Our toys cost a fair amount of coin so due research buy the buyer is required. Only a fool would make purchase decisions based on only what a book says.
Creighton
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54:24 am »

There were a few soda guys here in California who kicked off the soda machine hobby back in the 80's who are no longer doing this. Jeff Walters, Mike Page, Chris Davis, Dan Cooney and I know I'm forgetting a couple. Jeff Walters did the price books and the Soda Sweethearts Calendars. Most of the machines in the calendars were restored by one of these guys. From what I have heard they were all pretty good friends but in time all pursued other interests. 

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 06:24:21 am »

I have a copy of the book. Its a great reference for the descriptions etc. Not sure we should get too hung up on prices.

I know I would have to pay far more over here than I would in the US and it would appear that a machine on the West Coast is going to be different in price to one on the East Coast etc.

Coupled with this is the fact that sellers will sell a machine for the highest price they can get and a buyer will try and get it for the lowest. It sort of makes the idea of a price list redundant. After all you are not buying a TV from Wallmart.

You try showing the book to a seller and saying "Look it says it only worth $1000 in my book..." He'll tell you to poke the book where the sun don't shine.

If you are buying for investment then you need to do lots of homework before splashing the cash. If you are buying to flip then you need lots of negotiating skills. If you are buying to keep then you are going to pay what you can afford.

Experience comes in the form of putting the hours in on sites like this. I've never seen a 83 or a Cavalier 96 but by listening to you guys I'd have a fair ideas at what I was looking at if I ever did come across one.

Just my slant. Please don't shoot me down...

kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:44 am »

I have a copy of the the Jeff Walters book that I got from Slider Bob and find it to be a great resource in identifying machines. Do I use the price guide? Yes, as a guide only. There are so many variables to a machine that no book can tell you what it's worth. We are fortunate that we have an evolving price guide, Estimated Values. I'll admit I've overpaid for a couple machines and underpaid for a few. It still comes down to what the machine is being purchased for and how much is willing to be spent.

Just my 2 cents
Ken

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 08:32:59 am »

Ok, so can you tell me where this "Estimated Values" section is located on the site? I looked on the home page and do not see it.  Is it a list? or is it tacked on with each machine's description?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 09:28:38 am »

I have a copy of the the Jeff Walters book that I got from Slider Bob and find it to be a great resource in identifying machines. Do I use the price guide? Yes, as a guide only. There are so many variables to a machine that no book can tell you what it's worth. We are fortunate that we have an evolving price guide, Estimated Values. I'll admit I've overpaid for a couple machines and underpaid for a few. It still comes down to what the machine is being purchased for and how much is willing to be spent.

Just my 2 cents
Ken

Ken I agree with your quote... and I also agree with others and Creighton.. it is hard to put values , because
"WE" as seasoned veterans, most of us... know what to look for ... what I found the book helpful on when I first started and then on was knowing that OH.. a Siphonmix vendor is quite valuable and if I find one for 500 I better buy it... vs should I pay 1200-1500 for an 81

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 09:56:37 am »

Yeap ... Rarity is something worth knowing..

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »

The book shows a nice Lyon 500, so rare that no machines had  been offered for sale, so no value price is attatched.
       Some of us followed an e-bay auction for one several years ago, that should have established what people are willing to pay. Also, one of our own members has aquired not 1 but 2 of these, his input would be valuable as well.
       If one came up for sale locally I'm not sure how much I should pay in order to buy it right. On the other hand, neither does the new generation "picker" who has downloaded this app and many others into his e-book.  veryangry  been

Glen
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: