SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:46:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Restoration, Pawns Stars, Storage Wars, Ect....  (Read 17504 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:12 pm »

For me though it's not a question of worth more or worth less.... it's just a question of what we leave behind for others to enjoy. 
As an example, and yes I'm bored at home lol, at the rate that we are digging up dinosaur bones, and learning about them, there will be NO bones to discover 100, 200, etc years from now for or next generations, when there will be better tech, or science etc. to learn about where they lie, why they died blah blah blah.

So, at the rate these machines are being dug up from old barns, there will be no pciks for American Pickers left to pick from, unless you count my or your basement lol.

Just my 6 cents (nickle and a penny please)

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »

I'll throw in a couple thoughts - first, I like the shows.  The knowledge I have gained from this board makes it easy to spot the flaws in them, but they still show interesting items that I enjoy seeing, so I take them for what they are worth and just enjoy them for the items they show.  They are made for entertaining the masses who don' t look any farther than a shiny coat of paint.  And while some people may now think their Vendo Decorator is worth big bucks, they never actually sell for the asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Coke-Machine-Vendo-56A-Meditteranean-/140785615617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c77a0301

So I say, let them ask.  Ignore the ads and move on to the next one.  There may be square tops popping up all over, but I think the shows also bring out the guys who have the RT 81 out in the barn that hasn't run for 20 years.  Let them ask 5k for it, the higher the better.  It won't sell either.  The average Joe that would love to have a vintage machine in their rec room, and that is most guys out there, will look at it and back off from dropping that kind a cash for a machine that needs major work before it looks like the shiny one they saw on TV.  So follow John's (Signguy) advice and leave a written offer for what you would pay.  When nobody shows up willing to drop big bucks, the seller may actually come chasing you rather than you chasing him. 

I would be interested on one thing though.  My teenage son has taken an interest in collecting 1960s bobbleheads.  One thing he has heard in researching them is that quality examples are only becoming harder and harder to find.  As the internet makes them easy to sell to the masses, the nicer examples are being added to collections and are essentially off the market for the lifetime of the collector.  There are not as many old machines out there as bobbleheads, any thoughts on the longevity of finding quality original machines or machines that are at least restorable? 

I think Dave already has the majority of the midwest examples already hidden in his girlfriends garage.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:44 am »

>>There are not as many old machines out there as bobbleheads, any thoughts on the longevity of finding quality original machines or machines that are at least restorable?

Around here (NE WA) machines still turn up. Most are out of some old guys shop who is either selling everything to go RV'ing or off to the old folks home. I think there will be finds for another ten years from second generation owners. Then you have my sorry arse that will selling my collection in 20 years. Don't think supply of good machines will dry up anytime soon.
Creighton

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 07:20:47 am »

Sell while you can... these shows will die off... And for buyers there will always be a machine deal out there...
I've found a few in the past couple years... Just hang in there your time will come...
Best not to bad mouth the shows... too many Rick Lovers out there... ignore the bad acting,
staged deals and poor restorations. Once people realize their machine isn't worth 3 grand they'll
come down on price... Leaving your name and number is good advice. At least it's getting people
ready to let loose of the machines..

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: