SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 03:13:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VMC 27 on American Restorations  (Read 17899 times)
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:41 am »

Here's what really bugs me.  Now that people  are watching the show, they ask if Rick's Restoration are why I got into this hobby 12 years ago.

I tell them that the show has only been on for 2 seasons.  I never want my restorations ever compared to his stuff.  Eever!!!!

Before the show aired, Curtis and I talked about whether it would be good for the hobby.  We thought it may be good for those people who made there living on restorations because it would raise  the awareness of the general population.  Now after 2 seasons, I am not sure. Now, I can not even sit through an episode.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:02 am »

Here's what really bugs me.  Now that people  are watching the show, they ask if Rick's Restoration are why I got into this hobby 12 years ago.

I tell them that the show has only been on for 2 seasons.  I never want my restorations ever compared to his stuff.  Eever!!!!

Before the show aired, Curtis and I talked about whether it would be good for the hobby.  We thought it may be good for those people who made there living on restorations because it would raise  the awareness of the general population.  Now after 2 seasons, I am not sure. Now, I can not even sit through an episode.

Brian

As stupid as the show is... I can honestly say this is the BUSIEST I have have ever been with restorations of customer machines or just plain orders ... I would like to think it's because of the quality of my restorations  biggrin smile, but I would contribute a bit of it to all the recent shows highlighting this stuff that we all konw and love! 

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:05 pm »

I about choked at the $5800.00 restoration estimate--- double the national average. The $7800.00 value was just an insult to viewers intelligence.

I just watched this episode tonight. There was a Vietnam era fighter pilot's helmet that a guy supposedly paid $1,800 to have restored. $1,800!

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 03:30:02 am »

I think shows like Pickers and Restoration (which me and the kids love over here) have a double sided affect.

As a restorer and seller you should be able to ride the wave they are creating in nostalgia and get some good money for
your items.  Just make sure you have a good stock pile of stuff to restore.

Because the downside will be that all those bits you were picking up for next to nothing a few years ago are now going
to demand a much higher price and ultimately cut into your profit.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: