SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 01:50:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fully restored VMC 81 7up  (Read 6965 times)
Zach
25 Cent Member

« on: July 24, 2011, 11:04:22 am »

What's a fully restored VMC81 7up sell for these days? Does the two tone white and green fetch more money than a all white machine?
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:20:16 am »

They were white from the factory. People just restore them green and white. It's whatever you prefere. I think they sell for $7-8 thousand.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:53:03 am »

for a properly restored one, inside and out , I've heard they are fetching 11,000 at Barret Jackson (so there is your top end), but I'd think the other estimate of 7-8 thousand is about right on the money. I know of an original ,unrestored machine sold for around 5500 a few years back. 

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:18:00 pm »

for a properly restored one, inside and out , I've heard they are fetching 11,000 at Barret Jackson (so there is your top end), but I'd think the other estimate of 7-8 thousand is about right on the money. I know of an original ,unrestored machine sold for around 5500 a few years back. 

If the machine was $5500, then how much could one expect to pay for a full restoration?

Vendo 81A
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:08 pm »

>>If the machine was $5500, then how much could one expect to pay for a full restoration?

Matt,
Hard question to answer. Restoration costs depend on the condition of the machine.
One would hope that a $5500 machine was complete at least.

If chrome work needs to be done that gets spendy quick. Refrideration same story.
Nobody will pay top dollar for a machine with dirty vend rack or coin mech.

Please don't take this wrong, but restoring a high end machine is complicated and can be very expensive to do correctly.
In the case of a VMC 7-Up  rattle cans and steel wool will do more harm than good.

Creighton

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:48:03 pm by Creighton » Logged
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:06:27 pm »

Well, I guess my question is not specifically for a 7up 81. It's really more of a question of any Vendo or VMC 81 restoration... Let's assume all the parts are present in the machine. What's an "average" cost to fully restore--including sandblast & paint cabinet/door, powder coat rack, re-chrome parts, clean & polish coin mech, new electrical, new insulation, new glass in door, new decals, etc.?

Using the example presented, the difference between the $11000 high end sale price and a $5500 unrestored machine is $5500. So I'm curious of that $5500 how much is the cost of restoration and how much is profit to the person doing the restoration. And is $5500 even a reasonable cost for restoration, or is that on the low or high end? Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:13:55 pm by Matt » Logged

Vendo 81A
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:58:16 am »

For the VMC 81, your also paying More money just for the Rarity Factor... , and again, remember a machine is only worth what the highest bidder or buyer is willing to pay.  Also , some will pay more for a nice original rare machine as well, such as in this case..

I bought my 7up VMC 81 for 3000 and it's complete but needs total restoration, I've heard of some selling for 3-4, so it's a supply and demand type of thing.  Same goes for Coke 81's which are readily available.  you can pick one up for 1500 or less these days complete, Full restorations  on a complete cooling machine run between $3,500- $4,000 from most reputable restorers and I'll include myself in that group (shameless plug)  biggrin but I can still sell a fully restored Vendo 81 B or D for $6000 range, and those people are buying them as they don't have the time, energy or desire to go out and "Hunt" for one to send me to restore.. they just want one..

Hope this makes some sense... but in realty, does any of this make sense... thousands of dollars for a 50 year old Refridgerator.. .what are we all thinking! glare tounge

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:50:31 pm »

not sure but i think John (signguy is referring to my 7up vmc 81, thats what i paid for my machine it was complete working a 99.9 %, it needed a small adjustment on the coin mech that collecture (thank you very much) helped me with. Larry (mills 400) has seen it in person. obviously I'm biased but i think he woulkd agree its in incredible original condition.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 05:04:48 pm »

Near brand new.  It's nice.

A lot of stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: