SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 11:55:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 110  (Read 20444 times)
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 01:08:20 pm »

I personally use glass or black beauty depending on the part.

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 06:39:10 pm »

Yes I will need to sand/bead blast.   Trying to decide if I'm doing myself or not.  Also what material to use:  Sand , glass, walnut shells.  

I take mine to a local sandblaster. They use a 70 grit, glass bead.

Jared
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:07:18 am by Slapshot42 » Logged
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:39 pm »

I love the look of one that just came back from the sandblaster's, that new metal look.

~ Bryan
Fox Creek

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:26:54 pm »

Got the door completely disassembled.  I have four bolts I broke off that need to be fixed,  so thats my next step.   I was amazed at how the screws rusted so bad you could not even see the threads on them.   All the wood is bad and needs to be replaced.   Good news is, the wood is good enough to use as a template.  Think I may some issue with the bottom of the main door being rusted through in several places.  After I get the four bolts out, it will be time to buy a media blaster and some walnut shells.  Try and get some pics up tomorrow. 

Fox Creek Home Brewery
Vendo 6 case (1953)
Vendo 110 (1955)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:58 am »

Got the door completely disassembled.  I have four bolts I broke off that need to be fixed,  so thats my next step.   I was amazed at how the screws rusted so bad you could not even see the threads on them.   All the wood is bad and needs to be replaced.   Good news is, the wood is good enough to use as a template.  Think I may some issue with the bottom of the main door being rusted through in several places.  After I get the four bolts out, it will be time to buy a media blaster and some walnut shells.  Try and get some pics up tomorrow. 

I havn't gotten that far into min yet but I have been thinking that is the wood on mine is bad that I would use Trex or a similar synthetic product.  I would think it would work and then you would not have to worry about moisture or rot.  Just a thought.

drinking Tim drinking
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 11:43:52 am »

Tim,

I'm not sure how well something like Trex would machine (anyone?).  It also isn't load-bearing.  The issue is there are MULTIPLE cuts required on several of the pieces...bevels, chamfers, indents etc.  Plus, the order of the cuts is important.  When I redid my 110, I had a master woodworker do the new wood.  He had to reverse-engineer everything, which made matters harder.  He said it wasn't easy figuring out stuff and was one of the hardest things he ever did.  Not trying to pee in anyone's Wheaties, just passing on my experience.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »

Not trying to pee in anyone's Wheaties, just passing on my experience.

Wayne,

That is one of my favorite sayings--don't hear too many other people use it.  All good points!  I forgot about the load bearing issue and I wasn't aware that the cuts would be that complicated.  And don't worry about the Wheaties, I am eating Frosted Flakes.  They're Grrreeeeaaat! biggrin Cool laugh

drinking Tim drinking
Fox Creek

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 01:44:23 pm »

I agree,  I have looked at the wood several times and the cuts required.  It looks simple at first, but the longer you look at it the more cuts you find you need to do.  I was thinking that I might cut two sets at the same time.  I agree that wood would be much better that Trex.  The wood peices are currently sitting downstairs on my table saw.   Best to use a hard wood, any wood or wolmanized wood?   Any thoughts

Fox Creek Home Brewery
Vendo 6 case (1953)
Vendo 110 (1955)
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »

Cypress, Redwood, Red Cedar and Pressure treated all are good at resisting rot but not sure how they would work in this application. There are some bad chemicals in the Pressure treated wood that you may not want near anything being consumed.

~ Bryan
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 10:37:15 pm »

I have read some previous posts and it sound like restoring the 110 doors is a nightmare!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: