SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:46:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victor 3 door  (Read 18268 times)
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 11:20:12 am »

A true survivor... that was the way to go on that piece... nice job.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

That looks great!  I'd much rather have a nice cleaned up original than something repainted, nice to see the effort put back into this one, it was definitely worth it.

bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »

Dave,

I have an original Vendo 39 that is so nice I may not restore it  What is the process you used to get the original luster back on the paint.  Did you wet sand at 1600 then work your way down?  Did you buff it with a professional buffer using a compound.  I want to try that with my 39 before I sand blast.

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Dave
10 Cent Member

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »

Bcharlton,
I didn't use any machines, this why I have so many hours in it  I first used a good Meguiars car wash soap and bucket washed the entire machine to get rid of all the loose stuff. Then the work really begins.
I use a product called "liquid lustre" to deep clean the original paint, it will remove 90% of the most stubborn stains and rub marks. Be advised that Vendo used only a single stage base paint. There is no clear coat on these machines from the factory. That being said I strongly advise getting a bucket of water and using the round cotton pads to apply the liquid lustre. Keep the pad damp during the entire process. This will help to keep you from "rubbing" through the original paint on stubborn stains. Once you have rubbed every square inch of the paint out, I then topcoat the entire machine with two coats of Meguiars "gold class" paste wax. It's a lot of work, but the end results are worth it. As far as buffers and wetsanding, I advise against it. The original Vendo paint is just too thin. I have included a pic of my materials used. This process and these products are the same I use on my show cars. Dave
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:41:55 pm by Dave » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 02:59:21 pm »

Not only have you restored the red paint, those letters are very well preserved.

Extremely nice original Dave.

Glen
Dave
10 Cent Member

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:06 pm »

Thanks Glen. I know when I first got into this hobby years ago, I was such a perfectionist, that if it wasn't shiny and restored with brand new mirror finish paint and chrome, I walked right on by. I soon realized that an original machine with a little bit of "patina" was far more valuable to ME than a restored one. Don't get me wrong, I still love nice restored machines also, but nice originals are getting rarer all the time.
Pat Pixley
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:26 pm »

Dave that is a great job .  
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

Bcharlton,
I didn't use any machines, this why I have so many hours in it  I first used a good Meguiars car wash soap and bucket washed the entire machine to get rid of all the loose stuff. Then the work really begins.
I use a product called "liquid lustre" to deep clean the original paint, it will remove 90% of the most stubborn stains and rub marks. Be advised that Vendo used only a single stage base paint. There is no clear coat on these machines from the factory. That being said I strongly advise getting a bucket of water and using the round cotton pads to apply the liquid lustre. Keep the pad damp during the entire process. This will help to keep you from "rubbing" through the original paint on stubborn stains. Once you have rubbed every square inch of the paint out, I then topcoat the entire machine with two coats of Meguiars "gold class" paste wax. It's a lot of work, but the end results are worth it. As far as buffers and wetsanding, I advise against it. The original Vendo paint is just too thin. I have included a pic of my materials used. This process and these products are the same I use on my show cars. Dave

Very nice Dave - I'm a Meguiar's guy myself (use it on my Spitfire and my BMW).  I wonder if their clay bar would be useful for getting some of the surface contaminants cleaned off?  I agree on the warning about not using any power tools.  These machines are not 'that' large, elbow grease should do the trick for the most part without mechanical aid.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 04:10:21 pm »

Dave,
Excellent work on keeping another machine "Original"; they're only original once!
You've taken a decent survivor and revitalized it to looking outstanding ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

Dave
10 Cent Member

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 04:46:20 pm »

Thanks guys, and yes the clay bars work wonders. I have jet black paint on one of my 55' Chevys, and after using a clay bar the results are amazing. Trust me believe the hype. They work great on picking up all of the contaminants that regular wax can't remove.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: