SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 07:41:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Done! Vert 6 case  (Read 29357 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 10:39:16 am »

Welcome....definately keep it original!
Looks like you might be missing the cover for the compressor connections. I might have one or somebody else might have an extra if you need it. I'd take the compressor assembly out, install new fans, wiring harness and T-stat (if needed). The T-stat can easily be swapped out later if it proves bad.
Once the compressor assembly is removed, then you can give the machine a thorough cleaning. POR-15 does work really well and I do recommend it.
An old woodworker tip, break off toothpicks in worn out screw holes and screw the screws back in.
Have fun!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
fabes
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:09:00 am »

Thanks for the advice collecture,

I'd like to have a cover for the compressor connections if it's part of the machine. If you or anyone has one, please PM me and I'll be happy to buy it.

Is this the correct wiring harness I should purchase from FunTronics?:
http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/index.php?crn=237&rn=781&action=show_detail

I am planning on purchasing the POR 15 Super Starter kit to do fix the frame's rust. I have purchased the red spray paint from FunTronics (link below): Will this red spray paint from Funtronics work well after using the POR 15 "Prep & Ready" & "Marine Clean"?
http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/index.php?crn=336&rn=635&action=show_detail

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:14:54 am by fabes » Logged

Thanks for all your help!
-Pete
------------
fabes23@gmail.com
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:19:57 pm »

As far as the drain tube goes, how would you recommend removing it? Should I get a replacement, or just remove it, clean it up and put it back?

The easiest way is to buy a new replacement drain tube from Funtronics.  Theirs comes in two pieces and is easy to install.  You will have to cut the old one to get it out.

The wood in this machine is the "long pole in the tent".  I recently restored a Vendo 110, which is a 6-case with a coin mech.  I had a friend of mine do the wood work.  Some of the pieces I was able to use again.  Glen (Moondawg) is spot-on with his assessment on the difficulties associated with this particular model.  I'd leave it as an original and clean it up as best you can.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »

I would not be spraying any red paint on this machine. Nothing on the exterior or inside the compressor area looks that bad! I doubt the reds will match perfectly and you'll regret it.
I would not be cutting your drain tube either unless there are large holes on the bottom of the tub and you need to replace it. Remove the compressor and use the POR15 kit (Silver) on the bottom of the tub. It is self-leveling and will fill in any pin holes probably up to about the size of a BB. Based on the top of the compressor area, your machine has not had a lot of condensation leaking through. The tub does look rusty in your pic, but I doubt you have any holes too large for POR15 to fill.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
fabes
5 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »

collecture,
Is there any way I can speak to you about all this? I'm still confused as to what I should do with the area inside/around the condenser....Just clean it? my email is fabes23@gmail.com. If you could, please email me or PM me your phone number and I'll call you if you have the time. Thanks

-Pete
------------
fabes23@gmail.com
fabes
5 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 10:50:10 pm »

UPDATE #1: Today I got some good news and bad news with my machine....

Bad news first:
I took the cooling unit out (and cussed a lot censored) and saw that there were several pin holes and 3 pretty good size holes in the tub (see pics) under the evaporator. Looks like I'm going to have to find someone who can weld and powder coat (anyone know of anyone near or in Chicago that can help me out with that or suggestions on finding someone reputable?).

Good News:
I cleaned out the area around the condenser and compressor and it turned out pretty clean. I only used soap and water. There are a lot of raw iron spots....**What would you pros suggest I do with these raw iron spots???**

Bottom of unit:
**More raw iron...should I put a product on this or paint it? suggestions?**

THANKS EVERYONE!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:01:31 pm by fabes » Logged

-Pete
------------
fabes23@gmail.com
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 11:22:31 pm »

Wow...I would have never guessed you had holes that big in that machine. Somebody ran it for a long time with a clogged drain tube!

Oooh...that is a big, tall & heavy machine to be putting on casters....I'd be wary doing that.

Heat the feet up with a torch and they should unscrew - otherwise you run the risk of snapping them off. If they are extra stubborn, try a little PB Blaster first.

I have a compressor terminal cover that will fit your compressor. Unfortunately it looks like the bottom of your tub!
It is yours if you want it - reimburse me for shipping is all i want.
LMK

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:59 am »

You can get some casters for the machine which will take the weight.  I got mine from Reid Supply.  I bought them through Amazon, but Reid is where they came from.  I think mine were rated at 125 lbs each.  Just be sure you get the correct stem size.  I took one of the old ones to Home Depot and used the screw template they have in the nuts & bolts aisle to tell me what size it was.

Tom is so right about being careful with getting the old feet out.  They snap off easily.  If that happens, it is fixable (trust me, I have snapped them off a fewe times).  Drill out the excess VERY carefully and then re-tap the hole.  Like selecting the casters, you have to use the correct size tap.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
fabes
5 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 07:28:49 am »

I'll be careful on the caster removal for sure. And thanks for the tip on the new casters. Can anyone shed some light on what I should do with the exposed iron on the bottom and inside of the compressor area?

Should I leave it, protect it with a product, then paint it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:08:53 am by fabes » Logged

-Pete
------------
fabes23@gmail.com
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:51 am »

are you just doing a clean up job, and not restoring it?

personally I'd think that the area you cleaned up will still continue to rust and such if you don't do something to stop it.. but then again that would involve sandblasting it and repainting? so not sure how far your are going to take this one.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: