SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 06:02:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did I do?  (Read 18759 times)
Zach
25 Cent Member

« on: December 12, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »

Hey folks just picked this up today. It's a VMC 81 7 up in great shape. Missing only a few small pieces and the cooling unit. Have the original tag. Only problem is someone filled in the 7 up and painted coke over it. Id say this had been done 20 years ago. Thankfully appears they just filled it with bondo or some body filler so I should be able to get it out to prove it is a VMC 81 7 up. Got it for $350, I'd say I did well on it. What you guys think? Thanks
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:11:05 pm »

The machine may just have a raised sign concealing the embossed 7-Up logo...
That's what it appears to look like from the photo...
If this is the case, even better ! ! !
And a great price ! ! !
Congrats on a nice acquisition ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »

Wow, very nice! And a great price! Tell us the story on how you found it. Any history as to where it came from and how do you determine if it was all white or green/white?
Congrats again!

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »

I don't think there is a sign on there, that is the embossed part. The letters are de-bossed. How are you going to clean out the bondo, sandblast?

The machine looks to be in great condition. Killer deal!

Jeff, all 7up 81's were originally white but many restorers change to green and white. Like the RC yellow, I would prefer the 7 up original solid white.

I'm sure Coke modified it years ago but they should have been busted by the 7up police.  biggrin

Glen
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:36 pm »

Thats awesome wish I could get a find like that. congrats on your new toy

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:03:55 pm »

Reading all these posts gave me goose bumps haha im really excited. So heres the story, did my normal craigslist search and typically i only look at adds that say vintage coke machine, you know something on the lines of vintage so Im not spending hours looking at junk. Saw an add that said Coke Machine, rarely do I look at these but what the hell I'll try it. Only had 1 pic of it and I knew what is was. Contacted the guy and he was like "yeah was once a 7 up and now its a coke thats all I know. I dont have a data plate or anything." I was pretty sure of what it is so I arranged to get it first thing the next day, 2 hour drive each way... totally worth it. Get there check it out, saw how someone filled in the 7 up embossed part, that sucks, but it does raise out by the way and im pretty sure they filled it with bondo. Anyways, saw on the coin insert said vmc. I was trying to keep my cool, the guy didnt know what he had. So it came from Vegas and he said Coke actually did the paint job themselves. So I got it home and gave it a good wash and saw at the bottom of the inside that the red paint on it was pealing and underneath was white. So I'm pretty sure its the real deal. Came with old coke bottles in it so another plus. And! There was the Vendorlator model 81 plate underneath all these. If the guy knew it was there and googled it he would of realized what he had. While doing this im having a hard time staying calm. So the plan is to sand blast down the bondo to reveal the 7 up. Anyways, I'm pretty sure its the real deal. Im not really sure where to go from here. I want to start restoring machines and I have a few more machines as well but I havent actually complete one yet so me restoring this machine would be like learning to drive on a Ferrari. I dont think this is a machine for a first time restorer. So i mite get it restored by a professional or sell as is. But then again I hate to let her go considering I'm in love with her. And this is a love at first site story haha. Anyways any ideas? Thanks guys and sorry about the bad grammar. Oh and if u want some more pics i can post some if u wana see. Sorry im not trying to brag or anything, just want some ideas from the pros.
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:37:48 pm »

PM SENT

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »

Joey,
Thanks for your offer but I'm going to hold off for now.
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:43:44 pm »

Not a problem, If you change your mind let me know

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:23 am »

Nice find!
Where are you Motoman - I am in Phoenix - 5 hours from LV.

Leonard told me this and I tried it on a Canteen that I had. Use a torch and heat up the Bondo - it will crack and bubble up so you can pop it off like cold gum. I guess just be careful not to warp the metal with the heat. I found that the embossing on the Canteen was ground down and bashed in, so I did not remove all of the bondo. Just enough to see what they did to it and then I sold the bare cabinet for scrap. If it had been on the Canteen, I'd still have it.

Take it from one who just finished restoring their first full machine, it is not that difficult. Just use SMC here as a field guide.

Again - Congrats on the find!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: