SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 01:03:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 83 drum and basket release latch  (Read 20829 times)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 08:14:47 am »

Yep, you've got the electric V83.  I wish I could help, but unfortunately, I've never seen one in person and my service manual only covers the mechanical version.  Best I can do is wish you luck.  
A J
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 07:45:35 pm »

Hey Tonka,
Good news!  Just found this on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=13734
Best of luck.
A J
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 11:26:40 pm »

That is extremely good news.Thank-you.I think it will have cost me a small fortune to have one shipped from the states.It would have been shipped via transport as the drums are too large for ups?Lonestaraggie,have you restored your vendo?If so,which paint did you use?I am trying to decide which paint to use for the best possible color.There seems to be a few I could use which is kind of confusing without actually seeing the paint.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 11:32:25 pm »

Jim,yes it is the electrical vendo 83.It is hard to find any info on them it would seem.Are they rare or is it just knowbody wants to be bothered with them due to their size and more parts to break?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 11:54:07 pm »

Howdy Tonka,
Well, Mine is not restored, I'm going to be keeping it original  due to the fact that V83's haven't caught on with collectors as of yet.  Don't get me wrong, I love the machine, and in it's current condition it's quite good looking.  Once the V81's and other smaller and more desireable machines are all off the market and in collections, then the V83, V110, and other somewhat larger and heavier machines will start to see their prices rise.  For right now though, I've restored the refrigeration and vending mechanism and that's all I plan to do.
As for paint colors, Dupont Centari 77968A M alt. 1 is close but slightly lighter and more appealing than the original (i've heard that it's a match for testors gloss red model paint for easy touch-ups).  The original specs according to the manual are Dupont Dulux 93-24314-R, Glidden #9264, Pittsburgh 29-303, or Sherwin Williams Kem Lustral 42 Vermillion #532 F65 R1.  Thats straight from the vendo service manual.  With any luck, the numbers will still correspond to something produced today.  
As for the reason why more info on the electrics isn't available is due to the fact that fewer of them were made compared to the mechanical version. At close to 500 lbs, the V83's are too large for most casual collectors to want to deal with.  Give it time and they will be popular too.
Good luck.
A J
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 12:23:29 am »

Thanks for all your help.And yes,it is a very heavy machine.What would you estimate a value for one of the electric vendo's on today' market?I paid $500.00 canadian for it.That is minus the basket and latch.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 11:51:02 am »

Well stated A J  .........................

Glen
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 02:10:45 pm »

Thanks for the note Moondawg, I'm new to this hobby so it's nice to know that I'm not steering this fellow the wrong way.
As for the price of your machine, you probably did OK.  I'm not sure the exchange rate, but the two V83 electric models I have seen on ebay sold for around $600 but they were both complete and functional.  They were not restored at all though.
My V83 cost $425 but it had a bad cooling system, a fairly signifigant dent in the back and right rear corner, and no key.  I really made a leap of faith in trusting that all the works were intact when I bought it.  
The other thing to consider with the final price of an item on ebay is that to that price you have to add whatever the shipping would cost into that figure to get what the person actually paid for their machine.  That can easily make a V83 worth about $800.  Luckily I bought mine locally and just tipped it into the back of my pickup therefore no need for shipping cost.  Getting it up here into my 2nd floor apartment was another story.  I had to bribe several of my friends in the Texas A&M University Corps of Cadets with dinner to get them to help me hoist it up the stairs, so, add about $60 bucks worth of dinner and a near hernia to the cost of my V83.
According to the price guide, a V83 Electric is worth $350 in average condition and $1450 restored.  The non electric is priced at $225-1400.  Truthfully, though, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.  I haven't been in the hobby for too long, but I've never seen a complete machine go for less than $300.
Hope this helps.
A J
PS - I'll attach a picture of mine for anyone interested.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 01:08:30 pm »

I finally got the disk in the door to spin!I may have a drum locally,(a few more days on ebay will tell that tale).Now I was wondering if somebody would be so kind as to send me a detailed picture of the latch assembly that attaches to the drum as I am having a harder time locating that and will probably be fabricating one myself."so close yet so far".
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 09:51:05 pm »

here's a pic of the overall latch assembly, It's fairly heavy and complicated.  I'd probably keep looking for a used one as it will not be easy to fabricate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: