SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 04:22:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 83 drum and basket release latch  (Read 20831 times)
« on: February 14, 2004, 06:05:26 pm »

Hi all,I'm new and in need of assistance.I have just acquired a vendo 83 and desperately need a drum and basket release latch for it.(or at least a very good close up of each)so I can attempt to make these elusive parts.Any help will be appreciated greatly.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 09:08:37 pm »

I saw one over at www.colamachines.com it says out of stock, but it wouldn't hurt to ask as web pages lag behind actual used parts flow...

here's a link to the page!...JohnieG

http://www.colamachines.com/cgi-loc....&page=1

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 09:41:24 pm »

I saw that too.I have been in touch with those guys and no luck.I am to contact them every few days incase they get one.Thanks for the help though.I guess patience is a virtue in this hobby.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 12:19:59 pm »

Howdy all,
There was an auction on ebay that you can still reference that had a drum for sale (it didn't sell), the guy is parting out a V-83.  He probably still has the mechanism to turn it as well.  Check out this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3271607945.  He is currently selling me the precool shelf and the coin box I was missing for my V83.  Hope this helps.
A J Chier
College Station, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 12:31:12 pm »

Thanks for the info.I was in contact with that person as well.It is funny you should say that it did not sell because I had made arrangements to purchase the drum but they backed out at the last minute stating it was sold to someone else!If you are in contact with this person my e-mail address is bobtinamac2@aol.com.could also use some help getting the bottle vending door to spin the mechanism in the door.Or does the whole unit have to be in place first?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 12:41:39 pm »

Well, maybe he did sell it.  I was assuming he didn't since there were no bids on the item on ebay.  He may have sold it offsite to someone.   Sorry about that.  As for the lift door mechanism, I can probably help you with that.  What exactly isn't happening?  Is the nickel or dime making it to it's proper location to lock the two halves of the vend mechanism together?  If it is making it to that point then you may have a problem with the rack and pinion assembly that rotates it when you lift the door.  I can send all the photos you want and copies of the service manual pages if you need them.  Let me know how I can help.
A J Chier
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 05:01:44 pm »

first off what started happening was the door jammed shut after I connected everything up.So I had to take the door apart and release the mechanism that holds the bottle vending door down.Once I put it back together the bottle vending door will no longer lock in place and after a few minor adjustments the coins now go into the money basket but I never know if it is enough because the big red disk will not spin(in the door)and the bottle vending door will no longer lock down.Does this make sense?I thought once you put your money in the red disk was to spin and release the vending door to allow you to get a drink?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 11:31:24 pm »

I'm not too sure what we're up against here.  Is your V83 the electric model?  If so, it's a bit of a rarity and I'm not certain how it works.  Mine is an all mechanical machine and I can give you a full rundown on the operation of it directly from the vendo service manual.  The all-mechanical units worked on just one coin which served to "key" the normally free-wheeling door pinion to the other half of the pinion which turns the perforated door disk and the drum rotating assembly.  In other words, the door can be lifted at any time regardless of whether a coin is inserted, but the only way the disk and drum turn to reveal a new bottle is when a single coin is inserted before raising the door.  Clear as mud right?  let me know if I can help further or if that doesn't answer the question.  Best of luck.
A J
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 11:53:41 pm »

I think it is the perforated door disk that I am having the problem with.It does not want to turn on it's own after inserting your money.I am using 1960 era nickles so the weight should not be a problem.Mine is the electric model I believe because there is electric magnets that engage/dis-engage the coin mechanism and vending door release.It would seem to me that on my model you need to push up on the vending door in order to turn the perforated disk?You could send me the section on the door pinion and perforated door disk if you wish?And btw,thanks for your help.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 07:44:36 am »

tonkabully,

View the photos for the Vendo 83 in the Soda Machines Section and let us know what version of the V-83 you have...

There's a definate difference due to the coin door on the front just like other Vendo models(V-81, V-110, V-144...).

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 08:14:47 am »

Yep, you've got the electric V83.  I wish I could help, but unfortunately, I've never seen one in person and my service manual only covers the mechanical version.  Best I can do is wish you luck.  
A J
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 07:45:35 pm »

Hey Tonka,
Good news!  Just found this on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=13734
Best of luck.
A J
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 11:26:40 pm »

That is extremely good news.Thank-you.I think it will have cost me a small fortune to have one shipped from the states.It would have been shipped via transport as the drums are too large for ups?Lonestaraggie,have you restored your vendo?If so,which paint did you use?I am trying to decide which paint to use for the best possible color.There seems to be a few I could use which is kind of confusing without actually seeing the paint.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 11:32:25 pm »

Jim,yes it is the electrical vendo 83.It is hard to find any info on them it would seem.Are they rare or is it just knowbody wants to be bothered with them due to their size and more parts to break?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 11:54:07 pm »

Howdy Tonka,
Well, Mine is not restored, I'm going to be keeping it original  due to the fact that V83's haven't caught on with collectors as of yet.  Don't get me wrong, I love the machine, and in it's current condition it's quite good looking.  Once the V81's and other smaller and more desireable machines are all off the market and in collections, then the V83, V110, and other somewhat larger and heavier machines will start to see their prices rise.  For right now though, I've restored the refrigeration and vending mechanism and that's all I plan to do.
As for paint colors, Dupont Centari 77968A M alt. 1 is close but slightly lighter and more appealing than the original (i've heard that it's a match for testors gloss red model paint for easy touch-ups).  The original specs according to the manual are Dupont Dulux 93-24314-R, Glidden #9264, Pittsburgh 29-303, or Sherwin Williams Kem Lustral 42 Vermillion #532 F65 R1.  Thats straight from the vendo service manual.  With any luck, the numbers will still correspond to something produced today.  
As for the reason why more info on the electrics isn't available is due to the fact that fewer of them were made compared to the mechanical version. At close to 500 lbs, the V83's are too large for most casual collectors to want to deal with.  Give it time and they will be popular too.
Good luck.
A J
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 12:23:29 am »

Thanks for all your help.And yes,it is a very heavy machine.What would you estimate a value for one of the electric vendo's on today' market?I paid $500.00 canadian for it.That is minus the basket and latch.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 11:51:02 am »

Well stated A J  .........................

Glen
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 02:10:45 pm »

Thanks for the note Moondawg, I'm new to this hobby so it's nice to know that I'm not steering this fellow the wrong way.
As for the price of your machine, you probably did OK.  I'm not sure the exchange rate, but the two V83 electric models I have seen on ebay sold for around $600 but they were both complete and functional.  They were not restored at all though.
My V83 cost $425 but it had a bad cooling system, a fairly signifigant dent in the back and right rear corner, and no key.  I really made a leap of faith in trusting that all the works were intact when I bought it.  
The other thing to consider with the final price of an item on ebay is that to that price you have to add whatever the shipping would cost into that figure to get what the person actually paid for their machine.  That can easily make a V83 worth about $800.  Luckily I bought mine locally and just tipped it into the back of my pickup therefore no need for shipping cost.  Getting it up here into my 2nd floor apartment was another story.  I had to bribe several of my friends in the Texas A&M University Corps of Cadets with dinner to get them to help me hoist it up the stairs, so, add about $60 bucks worth of dinner and a near hernia to the cost of my V83.
According to the price guide, a V83 Electric is worth $350 in average condition and $1450 restored.  The non electric is priced at $225-1400.  Truthfully, though, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.  I haven't been in the hobby for too long, but I've never seen a complete machine go for less than $300.
Hope this helps.
A J
PS - I'll attach a picture of mine for anyone interested.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 01:08:30 pm »

I finally got the disk in the door to spin!I may have a drum locally,(a few more days on ebay will tell that tale).Now I was wondering if somebody would be so kind as to send me a detailed picture of the latch assembly that attaches to the drum as I am having a harder time locating that and will probably be fabricating one myself."so close yet so far".
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 09:51:05 pm »

here's a pic of the overall latch assembly, It's fairly heavy and complicated.  I'd probably keep looking for a used one as it will not be easy to fabricate.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 09:54:26 pm »

Here's a more detailed pic of the outer end of the rotating assembly.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2004, 10:15:08 pm »

Thanks lonestaraggie,but I will not be needing them now.someone outbid me for the drum with like 2 seconds left on the auction!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2004, 10:46:50 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that.  here's a tip though, check out www.auctionsniper.com.  It automatically bids for you at the last second and just costs pennies (somebody probably used auction sniper on your auction for the drum).  It's a great way to prevent bidding wars and lets you get that same upper hand that that guy just got on you.  If you sign up for it you get three free "snipes" and whoever referred you gets three free as well.  My ebay ID is texassodamachines if you decide to try it and want to put my name in for who referred you.  Check it out.  Best wishes.
A J
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 11:11:34 pm »

I will certainly do that.Thanks for the tip lonestaraggie.And if anybody is out there has a drum and basket release latch they wish to sell, just email me with your asking price.
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2004, 11:30:01 pm »

Lonestaraggie check your account.Also I emailed the guy that was holding the auction and he says he has another drum,but just the drum.no gear,no shaft?Is the drum and the gear on the drum not just one piece?I know the shaft is seperate because I have that part.
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 11:50:12 pm »

According to the parts guide, there is a "disk rack assembly" (part #16797) and a "basket and sleeve assembly" (part #16796), two seperate parts.  Hope that helps.
AJ
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2004, 11:58:12 pm »

maybe I should just contact vendo and ask for some "old stock".
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: