SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 09:43:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running an older syrup dispenser?  (Read 11821 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: April 27, 2010, 04:36:26 pm »

How hard are the older syrup dispensers to maintain? Thinking about one day getting one and set it up in the kitchen or something like that. I think that would be pretty neat but want to see how hard they are to maintain before I get one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:23:31 pm by scalebowler » Logged
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:32 pm »

The older motor boat styles don't meet code anymore... At least that is what I was told when I went
to a diner that had a Dole Super mounted to the counter... the new one was back in the kitchen out of
site...  But I still have a couple... very cool and easier to carry to the basement than a 81 wow

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:01 pm »

Why don't they meet code anymore? Seems kind of strange. Proboly not a big deal to have in my house though for personal use/
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:04:19 pm »

The syrup is in the inner tank which isn't air tight... guess it goes bad...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »

That makes sense. Proboly not that big of a deal for home use though if you were using it for a party or something like that.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:43:50 am »

Based on my experience in restaurant management and dealing darn with more than a few health inspectors, I suspect that if the tank is not airtight they are worried about bacteria because all of that sugar would be fertile breeding grounds.  And let's not forget about the ever popular found dead in the coin box of an old machine - - - vermin!

I would think if you could get one running it would be great for home use and parties but make sure that everything is kept very clean.  Bleach water is a great sanitizer.  I also would not recommend leaving syrup in the machine during long periods of non-use.

drinking Tim drinking
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:04:25 am »

Then there is the matter of hooking up a Carbonated water line, Pressure tank, regulators, and makeing sure all the seals are good and that the valve is good to get good flow... yes it would be cool to have, but probably a lot of work to set it up. I've often thought about it too, just haven't had the energy to put into it.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 09:09:44 am »

Better to have one for display and offer a coke from from your machine...
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11:52 pm »

I was thinking about this some more and I started thinking how did they keep the syrup from going bad in the older vending machines that dispensed the pop into a cup? Is that the same set up inside those as it is for the fountain machine or something different? Just something I was wondering about.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 12:23:06 am »

My guess on that would be that the old cup machines would not have been placed in low traffic areas and therefore would have had to be serviced every couple of days.  That would have likely included cleaning and refilling.

drinking Tim drinking
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 12:54:58 am »

My guess on that would be that the old cup machines would not have been placed in low traffic areas and therefore would have had to be serviced every couple of days.  That would have likely included cleaning and refilling.

drinking Tim drinking
Like at a break room at a large company or something like that? That makes sense. Thanks for letting me know about these machines. I think I will wait on a syrup dispenser for now because I might be able to get a gas pump which right now sounds like a lot of fun to play around with.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »

Scalebowler,
   Running a fountain is actually quite easy and alot cheaper than buying cans or bottles.

I've been running a fountain in my house for close to 25 years, the key is to buy the right unit, one that's self refrigerated so you don't need ice.
  The unit you posted on the other thread, the Multiplex tower is really not made for home use as you would need a cold plate and ice to properly cool the product, along with several other items to pump the syrup.

Here's the unit I use, it was aquired from a small DQ in southern Nebraska, I traded it for a refurbed 5 valve unit I bought from a Burger King which was upgrading their equipment.
  It's a Reed-Victor 4 valve counter unit with all the equipment located on top of the machine, carbonator, compressor and all the fans to run them.
  Works a well as the day it was built. You just can't find equipment that will last a lifetime anymore.

If you need some assistance setting up a fountain fell free to send me a message.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: