SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 06:27:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse master ice box  (Read 3057 times)
« on: April 21, 2004, 07:58:35 pm »

Hi All,

I am restoring a Westinghoust Master Ice box and I want to give it the ability to cool. What is the best way? I know it will effect the value to a collector but to me it would serve me better cooling. So, I need a new tub because mine rusted out. Should I just buy a wetbox tub and cooling unit?

Does a wet box cool water and a dry box cools like a refrigerator?

Thanks - Matt
vendobaldtops
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 09:15:26 pm »

Matt,

A wet box cooler has refrigeration coils in it and a propeller in the middle of the coils.  Why not a fan?  Well, the wet box needs to be filled with water and the propeller circulates the cold water throughout the machine.  I always thought this was cool (no pun intended) but I would be afraid of having gallons of water in an inside environment.

A dry box would work just like a refrigerator: coils throughout the bottom of the cooler, no water bath, and perhaps a fan to blow air around..depends on the set-up you want.  Personally, I think a dry box is a better set-up and I doubt it would decrease the value of an original ice box machine.  People want to use their coolers and want convenience..a dry cooler to plug in works for me.  Good luck.

P.S....you might need to find the louver covers to hide the refrigeration unit on the botton but this is by no means imperative.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: