SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 12:30:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did I do?  (Read 18753 times)
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 12:48:28 am »

Thanks guys I'm excited! Without cost being a concern, is it better to do a correct resto by plating everything the way it left the factory such as the shelves or should I powder coat them? Sorry this has been asked a lot but there's different answers depending on who you ask, I would like to do the best restoration as possible. And I'm assuming the 7 up is hand painted? Any idea on what the correct paint codes are? Who does the best coin mechs? Thanks
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 01:37:44 am »

Nice score! If cost doesn't matter soda blast the shelves/liner, find a top notch plater and glavinze back to the orginal finish. The bill from that will be scary. Powdercoating is all fine and well but it adds material and the heat involved in the process will cause problems with the slider shelves. Hammertone paint works with proper prep, but is just paint on top of a galvinized surface. Isn't correct.

7-Up was likely silk screened from the factory. A car pinstriper will be your best bet now. Mulitple threads on color codes. Without a doubt "Collecture" does the best coin mech work. Plan on $3k minimum for a drop dead perfect restoration. My thoughts, others will chime in.
Creighton

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:30 am »

Powdercoating is all fine and well but it adds material and the heat involved in the process will cause problems with the slider shelves.

Ive powdercoated prob 10 sets of shelves with this never happening. If you use a guy that knows what he is doing you will have a flawless job that wont warp the metal or come off in the future. Anybody can powdercoat, a monkey could do it. A trained and educated professional that actually takes pride in their work is who you need to seek out. The guy I use goes and takes refresher courses 2-3 weeks a year to learn the do's and dont's and the new technology and processes that are available. End result I have never once had a problem with his work.

Rule #1 ask questions

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 06:57:51 am »

Anybody can powdercoat, a monkey could do it.

Joey

Hey--watch it there Joey!  I worked in a powder-coating factory for 2 summers when I was in college!  biggrin Cool laugh  Probably took 10 years off of my life with all the crap I breathed in.

Actually, you are 100% correct as far as making sure the powder coater knows what they are doing.  Because I showed up for work everyday, I ended up operating a spray gun in a powder booth for most of one summer after about 5 minutes of instruction.  Of course, we were mainly coating suspension springs for the automotive industry so they did not have to look pretty.  We did any color you wanted as long as it was black!  Powder coating is a fairly simple process but it is real easy to screw it up.

I included a picture of me that was taken from inside the booth.

drinking Tim drinking
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 07:07:27 am »

I agree with Joey. Find a good powder coater. I have done many machines and never had a problem with powder coating shelves. Just be sure to remove the wheels. If you are painting the machine back to original white it should be easy to match that. If you do it two tone I have the code for the green. If your like me I have nobody close that is good at hand painting my letters. So I use decals to do a reverse paint trick. When I restored my 7-up 110 I have the exact decal that goes right over the embossed area. The 7-UP recessed part of the decal is cut away so that your white paint shows thru. See the attached picture of the 110 that I did. If you have any other questions just ask.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 07:09:25 am »

Tim:
Where's the pink hair in the picture???  biggrin

Rod
Fun-Tronics
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 09:24:52 am »

Awesome score.. I"m restoring a 7up 81 right now as well. This one belongs to a customer and he wants it two toned Green and white , which I like too..
I have powdercoated shelves and zinc plated shelves.. I like both processes and haven't had trouble with either one..
if you zinc, make sure you then clear over it afterwards... so far so good on that..
Powder , just remove the wheels before getting it done, as theywill melt in the oven.. and like others have said, use someone who knows what they are dooing..
Tom is your best bet for Coin mech restoration,, he does amazing work!
Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 02:10:25 pm »

thats why I use Brian B for my future powder coating needs.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »

I'm a HIGHLY trained military monkey, even better!!

Brian
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »

Brian - you amaze me!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: