SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 05:58:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 81 cooling unit  (Read 8412 times)
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »

Yay I forgot about it being a slant shelf multivend that only does bottles . Wonder why they never did wood grain on these .  tounge

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:05 am »

At first I thought the cat pee was a joke but looked it up and it does damage metal. Now I can understand it damaging the finish on paint, chrome and aluminum..........but to eat through that steel line would take any cat way more than 9 lives.  darn

Anyway, you found a leak in that line from rust. In addition to replacing it, you must install a new filter or rust will continue to haunt you.

I serviced a nice unrestored 81A a few months ago that had the same steel line mounted to the baseplate, and it had a rust pinhole at the floorline. After changing the line, the new filter got clogged up. Then after cleaning the system 3 more times I discovered there was also a smaller pinhole in the condenser. I thought it must have been caused by standing in water but the rest of the compressor area didn't look like it, so maybe it was also cat Pee?

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 02:45:22 pm »

I just think it's awful that someone would let their cat whizz on something like this often enough for long enough to let it ruin the metal work. I admit, I don't totally have room to talk about taking care of machines and parts, but I certainly wouldn't knowingly permit a tomcat to damage a Vendo 81 like this. I suspect this occurred over at least 2 years, probably several.

Even if it were outside, I could see a loose/stray/his own pet tinkling on it once in awhile. I still don't like it, but it's kinda hard to stop outside. However, this was indoors. I wouldn't have a cat or dog indoors anyway, but hypothetically if I caught that thing relieving itself on my $2000-$3000 machine, I'd chuck it out so fast it wouldn't even know which end would hit the ground first.

It'd have to be a heck of a good deal on an otherwise complete machine for me to consider it. My position on coke machines is different from most collectors. It's not so much that I'm averse to this type of machine, just the glass soda bottles.  tounge Also, I couldn't afford the massive amount of repair work something like this entails, if you'll pardon a pun there.

Keep it simple. A working USS (BTW, I don't like woodgrain.  glare), and maybe a working Corny slider (I'd make that an an Ideal or Glasco if they weren't $$$$). Perhaps a junk USS too if need be. Later on maybe I can turn my thoughts to the serious machines. Unless one of the better ones falls into my lap.  biggrin
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »

(BTW, I don't like woodgrain.  glare), and maybe a working Corny slider

I think there may be both a non-sequitor and an oxymoron there, at least on it's face. I don't really mind the woodgrain so much on the short kinda squarish Cornelius sliders, I just don't like it on upright machines. I never quite got the rough "rule of thirds" red, white, and woodgrain style popular on mid-60's through late-70's square tops.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: